What used 2 berth

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a used 2 berth caravan, cost about 10k, I have a vw t-cross with a max towing of 1080kg
Which type and model caravan should I look at and which should I avoid
What should I look outt for when viewing
Many thanks in advance
Dave

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given he budget you are looking at an oldish caravan. The choice of two berths will be wide, so the first thing to do is look for those you can tow by eliminating all those with an MTPLM( the maximum towed weight) over 1080kg. I am afraid that will leave you with a fairly low short list, these will be basic models as the towing capacity you have is very low. At that age I would not worry about the make as problems should l be sorted by then, although it is then essential to make sure it is n good condition and in particular there is no damp.
If you know nothing about the subject a good dealer is the best bet, you will pay a little bit more but they should have serviced it and checked everything is in order and deal with any problems. .
If you do not have the knowledge to check everything including damp buying privately is dangerous as there are sharks out there and should only be done if you have a caravan engineer check it or someone knowledgeable with you. If you answer a private advert ask for the CRiS number and check it with them to avoid a stolen model or one on HP. Get proof the seller owns it and any servicing and repair documents and ask for a recent damp check. If the seller cannot or will not supply these then walk away.
Avoid any that seem to be too cheap as this is normally a good indicator of a scam or one that just happens to be abroad. Do not pay a deposit until you have seen it.
Make sure everything fitted works and you know how to work it. It is a good idea to video the demonstration as you will forget things.
There are normally a few variations on layouts for two berths, but basically the positions of the toilet and kitchen vary. As you want the lightest one with your tow car you will almost certainly find you have a kitchen two thirds of the way across the back and a toile compartment in the far rear corner.
Hope this helps, but giving makes and models is difficult as the real test is what suits you and that is personal.

Reactions: Mr Grumpy and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts