What your car may know about you.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just been reading on BBC about how the police tracked down the Anglesey Crossbow killer. The killer drove a Land Rover Discovery and the cars telematics are constantly uploading data to JLR. Such data being used for a range of company activities. But also available for accident or theft investigations. What surprised me is that the data sets even included the precise times that doors and boot were opened as well as gps locations. Even though the car was burnt out the telematics still held data in addition to that uploaded to JLR.

I am curious as to what cars are fitted with uploadable systems. I know that for some time most cars have retained a rolling data set which police will access if necessary.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Thats my plans for an affair out of the window then unless I go on horseback.

When I was driving artics, one of the companies I worked for were all fridges, and they had an early version of telematics. Not only did it track the trucks movements and rest periods, but three sensors in the box could report back the temperature of the trailer, front, middle and back.
So many new drivers were caught out when overnighting. It was often a habit to turn the fridge off for a few hours to get some kip, and they were rudely awakened in the middle of the night by the transport manager demanding they get up and put the fridge back on.
The look of bewilderment on their faces, expecially agency drivers was a sight to behold.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Lots now have this due an Eu directive. My Kawasaki z900rs handbook warns you the bike has a data recorder which can be used in evidence!!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did know that tracking was possible after watching Hunted last year. The theory then was if they had details of the car, then in some models they could track it this way. I am not convinced that the things they do can be done within the time frame they say though.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
'm just wondering how you were able to see the look of bewilderment on their faces when the Transport Manager phoned in the middle of the night.........
Usually when they would ask us the following morning How the --insert your own expeletive-- did he know". Very often, their first thought was that one of us had reported them. As if we actually cared whether prawns bound for France werent being refrigerated properly ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts