What's been your longest tow?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where's the furthest you've been with your van, and what's the longest distance you've towed in a day?

We went to Switzerland in '05. Drove 600 miles from Calais to Lauterbrunnen near Interlacken which took us 13.5 hours including stops, with Anne & I sharing the driving in 2 hour shifts - a bit knackering so we took two days on the return trip.

We're contemplating Italy this year - a bit further, how long does it take to get there?

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Mike dover to Napoli is 1225 miles and according to sat nav it will take 19.5 hours, + add on any stops

Hope your taking a long holiday!!!

Kevin H

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Our longest tow was from Cape Town to Salisbury, now Harare. Approximately 2000 miles one way. I think it took 3 or maybe 4 days. Without a caravan it is normally just under two days.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We have towed from Aberdeen to Pals in Spain - 1490 miles one way. We took 3 overnight stops to get there.

We are going again this summer but have booked the Rosyth to Zeebrugge ferry so making a saving of around 1100 miles round trip.

One year we drove from Aberdeen to Portsmouth in one go (650 miles) which took around 14 hours including stops. We were delayed by a day leaving home and had to make the overnight ferry. I wouldn't recomend that to anyone!!!

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Cris

The overnight was excellent, we stayed at the CC site Silverbank at Banchory. Anyone taking the Aberdeen Braemar road I would recommend this as an overnight stop.

Val & Frank

Dec 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We have towed from Aberdeen to Pals in Spain - 1490 miles one way. We took 3 overnight stops to get there.

We are going again this summer but have booked the Rosyth to Zeebrugge ferry so making a saving of around 1100 miles round trip.

One year we drove from Aberdeen to Portsmouth in one go (650 miles) which took around 14 hours including stops. We were delayed by a day leaving home and had to make the overnight ferry. I wouldn't recomend that to anyone!!!
Mac.....

El Delfin ? By any chance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my halcyon days, when I had andrenalin in abundance, would set off for Italy(Tuscany region) on a Friday evening from Tyne and Wear. Crossed from Dover to Calais (2am) and then slept for 2 hrs. on ferry carpark. then travelled via leige,luxenburg, Stuttgard/ Ulm/ Mittenwald. stopped for the night. then over the Brenner pass down to lake garda for a night then on to Tuscany the next day. 3 days there. 2 weeks on site and 3 days return.a round trip of ~4000 miles. could not do it now!!!

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Our longest tow was to Marbella, Spain, first time with caravan, in fact first time we ever towed!.......we had a fantastic trip but quite scary at times including when we missed our turn and ended up in centre of Marbella at peak time and didn't know where we had to go.......

Feb 21, 2007
Visit site
We went to Sorrento last June - 1652 miles in total driving from Gateshead Tyne & Wear (using toll roads - quicker and easier)

1st June Set off 6pm - overnight ferry

2nd June Arrived campsite at Reims - stayed overnight

3rd June Arrived campsite Taniges, Cluses

4th June Through the Mont blanc Tunnel, stayed overnight near florence

5th June Arrived at Campsite in sorrento - stayed 14 nights

20th June leave Sorrento, arrive Modena

21st June arrive Nantua

22nd June arive Oye Plage (spent 2 nights there shopping for wine etc at dunkirk)

23rd June Early morning ferry to dover - arrived home at 6 pm

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Furthest we have been was last summer. Lanarkshire to L'Estartit in North Spain. Home to Hull Ferry, approx 250 miles (did have an overnight stop, not necessary -more of an excuse to get away for extra night in van) Zeebrugge to Domain de L'Epervieire just south of Chalons Sur Saone approx 410 miles, one overnight stop there. Then on to Les Medes outside L'Estartit again approx 410 miles. I found those two long journeys on consecutive days a bit too tiring for my liking. Split the return journey up a bit more. Doing a similar journey this summer but splitting both outward and return legs into sections.

Longest in one tow would be home to Portsmouth, slightly longer than the two mentioned above at about 430 miles. Did that overnight, initially set out to do only part of the journey and get a few hours sleep in service area before carrying on, but roads were clear, I felt fine (had a couple of hours sleep before setting out) so we kept going. We arrived at C.C. site, Rookesbury Park, in time for breakfast.

Robert

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
In my halcyon days, when I had andrenalin in abundance, would set off for Italy(Tuscany region) on a Friday evening from Tyne and Wear. Crossed from Dover to Calais (2am) and then slept for 2 hrs. on ferry carpark. then travelled via leige,luxenburg, Stuttgard/ Ulm/ Mittenwald. stopped for the night. then over the Brenner pass down to lake garda for a night then on to Tuscany the next day. 3 days there. 2 weeks on site and 3 days return.a round trip of ~4000 miles. could not do it now!!!
Shiraz.

Its good to hear from someone who also used to be young and stupid.

Me, I now take at least three days to get to Italy and another two to get to the Bay of Naples.

AND I love every minuite of it!!!!!!!

ttfn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts