What's behind the rise of the inflatable awning?

Kate Taylor

Administrator
Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
What's behind the incredible rise in Inflatable awnings for caravans? Niall Hampton asks those in the know – enjoy his new blog!

5884903-breathing-new-life-into-awnings-1.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have a Swift Air 260 porch awning, and its great, thinking about selling our Outdoor revolution carbonlite, Probably put up a for sale sign when we go over to France in the summer, as they like the British awnings.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Will we get to the situation of having compressed air bottles"like compressed air, diving bottles", to set up our awnings, so we don't have to pump them up. Maybe an on board air pump on the caravan, just clip in, next to the BBQ point. ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Will we get to the situation of having compressed air bottles"like compressed air, diving bottles", to set up our awnings, so we don't have to pump them up. Maybe an on board air pump on the caravan, just clip in, next to the BBQ point. ?

I seriously doubt that. The move is to reduce weight carried in caravans, and of course not every caravanner would make use of it, so its very unlikely to become a standard fit.

It more likely to be a device carried in the car, as the car will have just delivered the caravan to site so it will be there, and it has a plentiful supply of 12V power to drive an air pump.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't be too sure on that point Prof, if 30 years ago someone had said vans would have microwaves gas BBQ points central heating outside showers solar panels stability control ect, they would have been called mad, but here we are,
if there are now caravans with motorised slide out panels, why not built in awnings, push a button and the van levels it's self winds down the steadies and awning erects it's self.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate that they are supposed to save time during 'erection' (ooh err missus!!), but our 260 porch awning only takes me 10 minutes to put up, so any savings are negligible.....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Based on experience of the last 3 years I want any new van (and car) to have less rather than more 'improvements' particularly if these come into the category of 'things that didn't need to be invented' e.g.keyless go, and which depend on electronics with poor components, are not easy to fix and cost a fortune to replace, often at great inconvenience

Rant over, lunch in the awning and then watch the Rugby..

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
RayS said:
Rant over, lunch in the awning and then watch the Rugby..

well jealous.....working tomorrow so couldn't get away this weekend.....have to make do with a stella in front of the roaring fire to watch the rugby..... :(

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Just as many if not more pegs involved. Notice Isabella haven't launched one. We'll stick to our magnum.

Have seen quite a few now on site from various manufactures and have also noticed that if the weather forecast is not windy hardly any pegs are being used .... :eek:hmy:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On our Porch awning , same number of stays as before, WC use shorter guy lines. , but what alovely Win today for the Scots. :evil:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I only ever used conventional pole awnings but with regular use which produced familiarity we could at a push get a large awning erected and pegged out in 15 to 20 mins.

All (especially full size) awnings have big panels of fabric and will be just a susceptible to the effects of wind regardless of how they are supported, so inflatable or conventional poles, all types will need roughly the same number of pegs for any given wind conditions.

As for guy ropes, again depending on the wind conditions guy rope may be necessary, but there are ways of angling most guys so they still provide the hold down force but don't produce an undue trip or encroachment problem.

It's my impression the inflatable awnings have just about reached a level of maturity to really match the the conventional pole systems. I have watch all types of awnings being put up over the years, and inflatables do seem to go up more easily, and of course the issues of sorting out which pole goes where, and has it been extended enough have all but disappeared.

I'm not sure if there is any significant weight reduction, but you don't have to stow the poles separately so there are easier to transport.

If a someone falls or drives a bike or car into inflatable awning, the tubes will absorb the deflection and then pop straight back, unlike a pole which may be damaged beyond repair. Equally there is there is danger of someone being impaled by a misused or damaged awning pole.

Not related to caravanning, I was at a Beaudesert Scout campsite for the Cannock Chase 40 mile walk event a few years ago. A very strong wind developed and a large frame tent and some smaller tents belonging to other groups, were blown down the long camp site. Not only did the support poles bend, they were flailing around as they rolled down the field and some other campers tents were damaged. Fortunately no one was injured.

Conventional pole frame designs will be more resistant damage from pointed objects, but if a pole does fail then it's unlikely the owner has a spare with them and as most of the poles are of different lengths the chances of having the right one would be very low, so the awning could become unusable.

By comparison, whilst an inflatable tube is at a higher risk of damage from sharp objects, it's not too difficult to carry a puncture repair kit. The kit could be used on any of the tubes so it's a practical solution. Different manufacturers will adopt different constructional techniques, but I do wonder if any produce easily replaceable inflatable tubes?

I am certain we will see inflatable awnings and tents becoming increasingly popular.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I use both.
For shear strength the Magnum porch with carbon fibre poles and quick
fix tube connectors is imo the best. It uses twice as many pegs as the Kampa Rallye Air.
The storm straps are internal so no guy lines to trip over. The Magnum is 8 years old and never failed.
The Kampa Rallye Air is the easiest for erecting. No panels to zip in and apart from mounting on the awning rail no effort is needed. Mine withstood the storm last Christmas although a leg has twisted needing a bit more tlc over Easter to straighten it out. The storm guys caused me a fall the very first time I put it up!.
I use the Magnum storm pegs which are far stronger.
The packed Kampa takes up more room than the Magnum but no poles.
If a tube fails it can be replaced with new in a few minutes..Each one is individually isolated air wise. They are double zipped in their housing.
No harder than changing a cycle inner tube. Bonus is the less effort required erecting it.
In conclusion Magnum for long term seasonal winter and stormy weather.
Touring in reasonable weather the Kampa.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
It does seem a buoyant market at the moment but may perhaps go a little flat as inflationary price rises might lead us to feel little let down later.. :whistle:

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
I purchased the Bratcot air 260 at the NEC and we are using it at the moment all I can say is it is very good and as it came with the free electric pump found it to be value for money as the build quality is up to there very good standard and never had a problem with there products in the last 15 years, guess you only get what you pay for, one other thing no ugly guide ropes to trip over unless adverse weather forecast. ;)

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We need a new porch awning and I have been looking at the Kampa Rally Air Pro and the Kampa Air Ace.I am drawn to the Rally as it is 250cm deep wheras the Air Ace is 300cm deep which may be a problem on some pitches as we also put up dog run in front of the caravan and awning.
Whilst we were showing at Crufts last week a caravan near us had the Rally Air Pro and the owner said it was the best and easiest to errect awning he had owned.
Kampa have just given our local dealers awning showroom a makeover and have all their awnings on show. I assume that the dealer has an agreement with Kampa as all the signs only show Kampa and they now appear to be the only awnings sold
I think that all I need to decided now is whether to go for the 330 or the 390 which is almost as big as a full awning

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Good morning, we have dropped you an email in regards to using this post as a letter in the next issue. Would you mind confirming you are happy for us to do so and also supply your full name for publishing. The email would have come from stacie.pardoe@haymarket.com Thank you .

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I think that air awnings are the bee’s knees. I have had over the years, experience of a number of different sized conventional pole awnings, frame tents, flexible poled tents and our two air pole awnings. Our Sunncamp swift 260 air porch awning as used over the easter bank holiday is by far the quickest and easiest bit of kit to erect I have played with, I can put it up in ten minutes on my own, it has plenty enough room for storage of the kids scooters, the cadac chairs and so on and can easily sit the four of us to dine if required (I’d have to chuck the kids’ clutter outside first) and it handled the recent storms with ease.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts