Whats happened to caravanning

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
What has happened to the hobby of caravanning, all we read about and see are vehicles with fridges, freezers, ovens, TV., double beds, central heating etc. Unless sites have mod cons the people moan like mad. I have been caravanning for many years and the sights are becoming a Butlins Holiday Camp on wheels. We used to look forward getting away from the crowds into the country. I attended a site the other week whereby a person next to us got out a tape measure and measured the distance of his pitch, then sat in the van for 3 days doing nothing but watching TV.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nothing, people just like to do what makes them happy, be it a campsite hi d hi style or in the middle of no where, we are all catered for not like the good old days when you got what you were given

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Kevin has said "nothing"

I could sit around an oil lamp for light and warmth in a wooden shed, but I prefer bricks and mortar with electric lights and gas central heating.

Times have moved on and I for one I say live and let live.

Regards Nidge

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Despite all the mod cons in their van I still can't understand why people want to que for the showers, trudge across campsites clutching washbags and towels.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

Thank heavens we are all different, But what is I belive is important is to accept and respect other peoples different approach and reasosns for doing what they do.

So unless it is actually interfereing with you, please tollerate others activities, perhaps they feel they cannot understand your wish to deprive yourself of some of the mod cons?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen, I agree with you! I also agree with Kevin! Its wonderful that people now have the freedom to choose, its just that I personally think they make the wrong choices. If you have all the comforts of home and you watch the same TV etc. whats the point of going away? The first thing I would dump is the TV especially (shock horror!) if you have a young family. People are very busy these days, especially parents with all the pressures that are put on them and a caravan holiday can be a great opportunity for them to spend time together but do you really want to waste it watching tele? Try an experiment next time you go away. Take the fuse out of the TV plug and tell the children that the TV doesnt work (thats true, it wont!)so you will have to find something else to do and just see how you get on. If you find you really cant live without it then Daddy can "have a look at it to see if he can fix it". Give it a try, you might be surprised. Jim.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stephen.

With popularity of most hobbies comes improvement, but at a price to the majority.

We have been caravanning for well over 20years and have seen the most basic facilities turned into four star green hotels for caravans.

We prefer basic sites and are now struggleing to find quieter sites these days, as with facilities comes the "noise" joy of excitement.

With the advancement of caravan design there are now people taking up the hobby who would of previously stayed at hotels.

I've even thought about living in a modern caravan full time as they are better appointed than our bungalow. Also you can choose the neighbours if they get on your wick.

Another advancement is that with facilities and populus demand comes price rises! You guessed it now because we the public expect higher quality the site owners have to increase the pitch fee to get back the massive investment needed today to satisfy our yearnings for home comfort.

For us the comfort of caravanning stops at mains power and a reasonably appointed toilet block. You can keep the night club, swimming pool, laundrette and supermarket on site. We'd rather peace and quiet, I don't even care if I don't have a mobile phone signal, cos my boss can't then ring me expecting me to have ESP on what is happening at work while I'm on holiday!!

Steve L.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
As fairly young caravanners with two teenage children we are more than happy to have the choice that we have with sites, if the kids want to come with us we book on a site with plenty for them to do if they don't want to come we go to a much quieter site and relax with the peace and quiet.

There is so much choice available that nobody should feel they are being pressured in to visiting sites that they dont really like. showers and toilet blockes are a necesity, have you tried using the van for 4 to shower in ?, and as we dont allow number 2s in the van a toilet block is a must, the site by law has to supply a waste disposal point so why not a toilet?. at the end of the day we are fortunate in this country to have the freedom to choose and nobody in my opinion has the right to dictate to me how i spend my leisure time and as long as another person is not causing an undue nuisance to me then i say live and let live.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Icemaker

We had our daughter and son-in-law with us for a fortnight this year, and found no problem in using the on board facilites for all four of us during our stay at a site with no amenities.

Whilst I respect your views and reasons for chosing the sites you frequent, I cannot understand why No2s are not allowed in your 'van. There are lots of lovely sites, CLs and CSs that do not have the luxury of amenities, which, when there are just two of you makes for a more peaceful and relaxing stay, rather than watching people who seem to spend majority of their holiday, going backwards and forwards to loo blocks IMO.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Wendy we dont allow no.2s in our loo either, its bad enough emptying the thing now!!!

Kevin H

PS no Stephen we dont want mains hook up for the loo

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
When we first started caravanning many years ago, we had the absolute luxury of the old fashion Elsan bin loo. That WAS something else!!

Modern caravanners know nothing!!! LOL

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Im not that modern Wendy im 45, been caravanning for 20 years now used to have a caravan with a pota potty in the wash compartment!!

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing has happened.

We too have been caravanning off and on for over 20 years, and absolutely love it. Mostly we don't venture more than 50 or so miles from home for weekends, and yes, we take the TV. Our idea is just to chill out. No phone calls, no visitors and peace and quiet. We avoid sites that take children, and also avoid any sites near main roads where traffic noise can be a nuisance.

We were away last weekend and had the most fearsome thunderstorm I've ever witnessed in my life all around us.

No problem. We were warm, dry, plenty to do, papers and books to read, a couple of games of Scrabble and a nice meal from the slow cooker in the evening. Bliss.

As for emptying the loo, well is it SUCH a big deal. One trip per visit......come on!!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Of course every one has theire own ways of doing things which is why i posted originally Wendy, No2's are not allowed in our van simply becouse its me that has to empty the loo all the time and if i allowed everyone to use the loo for everything then i would be emptying it every day and possibly more which isnt really fair is it?. Plus i cant get my head round having faecies in a tank for 24 hours or so chemical or or not, it just does not sound very nice to me whether its designed for the job or not.

Personal preference and choice thats what makes caravans so good. imho.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What's happened to caravanning?

Its just moved on leaving all the old dinosaurs to harp on about the good old days and moan about other people doing their own thing.

Why shouldn't someone watch TV for 3 days?

Its nobody else's business how they spend their leisure time.

There are a large number of pleasant people who enjoy caravanning and enjoy life. I meet them all the time.

Then there is the small minority of sad miserable old s*ds who just moan and groan and winge and complain. Nothing suits them, not the weather, the site, their pitch, the toilets, the wardens, dogs, kids, life --I could go on and on and on.

Why do they bother to leave the house?

Just so they've got something to whine about!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Im not that modern Wendy im 45, been caravanning for 20 years now used to have a caravan with a pota potty in the wash compartment!!

Kevin H
Yes, but the contents of the Porta Potti are not staring at you when you open the lid!! :O)

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Cliff

Just because somebody makes a comment about how we used to caravan a few years ago does not make us "dinosaurs harping on about the past" just average people with, maybe, a bit more experience!!

"Dinosaur" I am not!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I like to sit for hours in the caravan. I find it relaxing and if there's something good on the TV then why not watch it? Afterall, we pay a small fortune to buy and run the caravan in the first place!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont look down on people using the site facilities for loos and showers. Not everyone has a newish caravan with hot/cold running water. We have just upgraded to a caravan with a shower and cassette loo but have taken the decision that shower water splashing about in a 16year old caravan is not a good idea what with the condensation, possible leaks etc. The cassette loo however is brilliant after using a Portaloo for the last 10 years. We still try and use the site loos in the daytime to save having to empty it too often on a two week holiday.

We dont mind the walk to the shower block, gets a bit of fresh air in the lungs , its a good start to the day when the sun is just coming up. Just remember that people should be able to holiday in whatever fashion they like as long as it does not interfere with your enjoyment. If they want to sit in the caravan all day, well they are probably enjoying themselves as much as anyone else.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site

Its just moved on leaving all the old dinosaurs to harp on about the good old days and moan about other people doing their own thing.

There are a large number of pleasant people who enjoy caravanning and enjoy life. I meet them all the time.

Then there is the small minority of sad miserable old s*ds who just moan and groan and winge and complain. Nothing suits them, not the weather, the site, their pitch, the toilets, the wardens, dogs, kids, life --I could go on and on and on.

So have you now !

May 2, 2006
Visit site

Hi Cliff

I am 74 years old and still enjoy my caravanning you may want to call me an dinosaur when I started caravanning we had what we called bucket and chuck it after cutting the turf and digging hole,I am sure that us old dinosaurs as you like to call us dont want to go back to that I have a moden caravan a 2006 Bailey Indiana You may want to call me a miserable s*d as well its easy for you young ones to blame every thing on us old folk

May 12, 2006
Visit site
The morning walk is an opportunity to say "Good Morning" to other like minded people. If you don't want to do it that's fine. No matter where you contemplate your navel is up to you !!!

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Cliff

I am 74 years old and still enjoy my caravanning you may want to call me an dinosaur when I started caravanning we had what we called bucket and chuck it after cutting the turf and digging hole,I am sure that us old dinosaurs as you like to call us dont want to go back to that I have a moden caravan a 2006 Bailey Indiana You may want to call me a miserable s*d as well its easy for you young ones to blame every thing on us old folk
Hi Derek

My post was not an attack on people of any particular age but a comment on the attitudes of people who moan about things like fridges, ovens, heating etc in modern caravans and then go on to pass comments on people who choose to watch Tv in their own van.

The point I was trying to get across is that whingeing about other people enjoying themselves in whatever way they choose is really sad. As long as their behaviour does not effect anyone else they should be free to do their own thing.

Freedom to do what we like is fast being eroded by this (and previous) governments to the point that restrictions on the use of caravans will be on the agenda sooner rather than later.

TRENDING THREADS