Whats happened to caravanning

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
My first caravan had gas lighting no electric and I really enjoyed my holidays . But now I have mains electric digital TV hot and cold running water and have been known to take the satelite with me in France .

Would I go back to my first caravan?

Would I heck as like

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
This year we have stayed at an all facilities campsite for a fortnight and even put the satellite dish up - the whole family really enjoyed it!

We also spent 3 nights at a CL in the middle of nowhere with no other stayers and only water and waste disposal - again really enjoyed it!

We have done numerous rallies covering every level of facilities in between - really enjoyed them all!

Personally I do not understand why people do not try sites or rallies with the more basic facilities but that is their choice and it means that all these other gems are left for the rest of us to share - I am not complaining!

Do you sit at home wondering why your neighbours spend the whole weekend gardening, playing with model railways, playing golf, football, sumo wrestling in custard etc etc?

Let other people get on with their lives, concentrate on getting the most out of yours!

p.s. I guess it was because I was a fairly recent dad who would happily change nappies, but after the first couple of times of emptying the toilet I found it became second nature.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dont look down on people using the site facilities for loos and showers. Not everyone has a newish caravan with hot/cold running water. We have just upgraded to a caravan with a shower and cassette loo but have taken the decision that shower water splashing about in a 16year old caravan is not a good idea what with the condensation, possible leaks etc. The cassette loo however is brilliant after using a Portaloo for the last 10 years. We still try and use the site loos in the daytime to save having to empty it too often on a two week holiday.

We dont mind the walk to the shower block, gets a bit of fresh air in the lungs , its a good start to the day when the sun is just coming up. Just remember that people should be able to holiday in whatever fashion they like as long as it does not interfere with your enjoyment. If they want to sit in the caravan all day, well they are probably enjoying themselves as much as anyone else.
Well said Rambling Rose.

Showers in caravans are NOT a good idea. Yes, they will save you the walk to the shower block, and Yes, it's probably a bit more private.

But having had two caravans absolutely ruined by water seeping through "shower related" leaks, we now use the showers on site.

I wouldn't use another caravan with a shower again ever. The condensation, damp and water ingress when these mod-cons fail is the beginning of the end for any caravan.

Nice brisk walk to the shower is a great start to the day, and you just might get to say Hello to a few people on the way!

May 5, 2005
Visit site
the only thing i think is sad is we speak more to our neighbours the morning we leave than we do all holiday is it us do we use more deodorant

TRENDING THREADS