What's happening at P&O

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If we go away it will be with a different ferry company :)
There's not a lot of choice on that route. There were three operators at one time, then two with precious little competition. If P&O appear as a rebranded company they will still be used as DFDS do not have the capacity. There is always the Tunnel which we found very good, albeit more expensive than ferry.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have used Brittany in the past....... This would be next season Holyhead - Dublin (Irish Ferry)
If we use Irish Ferries again, I will not be such a skinflint and will book us a cabin. It was a long boring voyage there and again when we came back. Also arrival time in Rosslare does not give you much option of a campsite. Probably better at Dublin.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Pre Covid, we nearly alway used DFDS, Dover Dunkirk. Early morning 4am out and a 7pm return. But we have no intensions of going over to Europe for another couple of years.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If we use Irish Ferries again, I will not be such a skinflint and will book us a cabin. It was a long boring voyage there and again when we came back. Also arrival time in Rosslare does not give you much option of a campsite. Probably better at Dublin.
This season it all depends on my mobility if i cannot do it we might be renting a cottage in Dublin my wife already said she not a packhorse

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not an expert on redundancy laws but it if the jobs are merely being replaced with cheaper workers then it is not redundancy and they will be able to sue for wrongful dismissal and add more to the costs of this farce. frankly I have lost confidence in P&O and if we do venture abroad now they will be the last choice. With refunds to all booked passengers and the redundancy payments they say will be enhanced on top of the appalling publicity you do wonder about any real saving here. Could be one of the most stupid and cruel management errors ever.
If we decide to go to Ireland, rather than the short drive to Cairnyan I am afraid I will drive South for a firm I can hopefully trust to actually sail.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This season it all depends on my mobility if i cannot do it we might be renting a cottage in Dublin my wife already said she not a packhorse
We went to Ireland in 2016 via Pembroke to Rosslare. We took the dogs but not the caravan and prebooked a one night BB at Rosslare both ways then booked two cottages. One at Glenbeigh and another outside Galway by a beach. Not bad prices then compared to Britain, but even without van the ferry was expensive.

35E956AD-10AC-4FB8-993F-D4E2CB532E6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not bad prices then compared to Britain, but even without van the ferry was expensive.
We got a very good deal with Irish Ferries at the NEC show. Normal price was about £150 more.
We have been invited to Ireland in June for a get together of old comrades. Sadly right in the middle of the Queens Jubilee weekend so cannot attend to see old comrades. 😢

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We got a very good deal with Irish Ferries at the NEC show. Normal price was about £150 more.
We have been invited to Ireland in June for a get together of old comrades. Sadly right in the middle of the Queens Jubilee weekend so cannot attend to see old comrades. 😢
Looking at Irish ferries daytime sailings now for Pembroke Rosslare return in early September they are similar to what I paid in 2016 for two adults plus two dogs not kennelled. £435, car solo no roofbox. I wonder if the reduction in freight traffic on that route is making them look to be more attractive to private traffic.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looking at Irish ferries daytime sailings now for Pembroke Rosslare return in early September they are similar to what I paid in 2016 for two adults plus two dogs not kennelled. £435, car solo no roofbox. I wonder if the reduction in freight traffic on that route is making them look to be more attractive to private traffic.
In 2015 towing a twin axle and having three dogs, the cost was just under £200 return.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have used Brittany in the past....... This would be next season Holyhead - Dublin (Irish Ferry)
Only ever used Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and quite a few times Stena from Fishguard to Rosslare. Stena ships and service was always very good.
So BB you are looking to Eire next year. Any leads on sites?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Only ever used Stena from Holyhead to Dublin and quite a few times Stena from Fishguard to Rosslare. Stena ships and service was always very good.
We stayed at a cottage in Glenbeigh but there’s a touring park down by the beach. It’s Glenross and we’ll sited for exploring the Ring of Kerry and other surrounding areas especially the mountains.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My best friend dropped dead half way up the footpath from the harbour to Rosslare town. Almost by the shrine to the Blessed Virgin Mary. He was 21 in 1974. So Rosslare and some of the County Clare places hold good memories even now.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We went to Ireland in 2016 via Pembroke to Rosslare. We took the dogs but not the caravan and prebooked a one night BB at Rosslare both ways then booked two cottages. One at Glenbeigh and another outside Galway by a beach. Not bad prices then compared to Britain, but even without van the ferry was expensive.

View attachment 2958
Looks nice we are interested in Galway ourselves (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You will enjoy Ireland hope you manage to make it.
We drove from Rosslare to Tralee via Clonnel the last time we visited. Some of the roads we encountered were terrible and made our A roads look like motorways. Travelling from Tralee to Cork and then to Rosslare not too bad.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We drove from Rosslare to Tralee via Clonnel the last time we visited. Some of the roads we encountered were terrible and made our A roads look like motorways. Travelling from Tralee to Cork and then to Rosslare not too bad.
Well i have not tried my off road mode on the car yet looks like i will have fun on those roads cannot wait (but might try sooner when i go fishing)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi DD i will have to let you know about sites just depends how my mobility is have you any recommendations on campsites or cottages Galway area ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts