what's the best thing to remove green leavy dirt on the my ca...

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi to everyone I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I went to pick up my caravan at storage on Friday to find the top of the caravan and along the sides had lots of green muck on it.Obviously from the trees ect over the winter period.

Can anyone tell me if there is some kind of protection i.e cream or polish I could put on it to help prevent this the next time I store it. We spent ages cleaning and gently brushing off any hard muck we could then washed it several times.At least it's looking a bit cleaner now.Lots of elbow grease I can tell you.

Helen

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
hi helen

we bought our first caravan off my uncle 2 weeks ago wich is parked under a tree and the caravan was a green box.lol. what we did was we used a very soft patio cleaner with hot water and it came straight off, still needed a scrub but came off much easier as its made to remove sap, algae etc

you can pick up polish for a few quid that will leave it with a nice layer for easy cleaning next time but we are looking to buy a cover as it will reduce cleaning by a vast amount for the sake of around

G

There are a number of products available that claim to remove this type of staining. I use 'Muckoff' which seems to be quite effective, but as I use a full cover the roof is not as bad as you describe. The cover itself is another matter.

I would also suggest that as you are parked under trees that you consider a roof cover, if nothing else, to protect that area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use the B&Q type detergent for pressure washers, TFR (traffic film remover) is good too.

I use a hand held sprayer and just give all the green a good squirt followed by plenty of brush and water and it takes the lot off.

Haven't found the answer to removing the diesel smuts/EP90 stains from the front yet though (although double glazing company PVC cleaner goes some way to clearing it)

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I did mine this time with Auto Glym Caravan Cleaner - I got it at the NEC show. It comes in a trigger operated spray (not airosol) and worked very well. Just wet the surface first, then spray it on, then clean off with a brush and plenty of water. I finally gave it a rince with Bobby Dazzler to hopefully make the job easier next time.

I also did the car the same way, and car and 'van are now looking cleaner than they have looked for a long time!!

Keith

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Get some TFR (Traffic Film Remover) from a local supplier, I use Auto Smart, mix it about 4 parts water to 1 part TFR, then use a extendable soft brush, comes off very easily, then just rinse with hose or Pressure washer.

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
be carefull with traffic film it is used to bring cars back to new bye taking of a layer of paint it is the same as alloy wheel cleaner my son in law uses it to bring cars to showroom finish but it can only be used three times it is the same as blaze

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I should have mentioned that when I had a classic BMW I used Snow Foam or Meguirs foam cleaner. You just cover the car in the foam and then gently hose it off. The dirt just rolled away, and as the car wasa concourse winner I did not take risks with the paintwork. Try Googling Snow Foam.

Mar 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi, Fenwicks cleaner sprayed on to the affected area at a ratio of 10 parts water to one part fenwicks cleaner ---leave for a little while to soak in--- but don't allow to dry out as this only make things harder as you will have to start again. you can of course use warm water or cold water ---warm is better if available. use a long handled brush or something similar---a swift rub-- rinse with Bobby Dazzler hey presto the jobs a goodun ----JR

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who answered my question regarding washing the muck of my caravan roof. Bought some Fenwicks Overwintering

willtry it out .I was told by the dealer that we can put this on and leave it , we don't require to wash it off as it leaves a protective coat on it.Has anyone used it? Regards Helen

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Helen,

the Overwintering is for application when you have a clean van. Normally you clean the van with Fenwicks Cleaner then you can use Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler which giives a shine and makes subsequent cleaning a bit easier. Most unusual to use Overwintering before Autumn as it tends to attract muck, but then does clean off well in the Spring and takes the mould with it.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ian, thanks Clive for your reply.

Can I ask Ian what "muck off " is and where do I get it. So Clive you are saying it's not the right time to use the Overwintering solution. We have managed to clean 85% off. So would I be better getting this other product Ian is talking about and wait until the winter to apply the other. Regards thanks again Helen

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Helen,

yes use Fenwicks cleaner, or Muckoff to clea the van. Then Fenwicks Bobbydazzler gives ita shine and does tend to make summer cleaning with Muckoff/Fenwicks easier. Befoer putting it away for winter then clean it and finally spray it all over with Overwintering. That will then make cleaning it in 'March 2011' much easier.

Cheers

Other Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts