Whats the problem with the M5

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

We must have seen different accidents and accidents waiting to happen.

Does that still make me flawed??

Oh to be so perfect.

Cheers

Dustydog

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Can someone explain what a profesional caravanner is?

I certainly do not get paid for my trips and have done appx 30 trips a year for the last 5 years.

Even for HGV drivers towing a caravan is a different ballgame.

Although I have to say that there a lot of badly loaded outfits being towed too fast, the fact that they are on the M5 does not mean that they originate from this area in fact the vast majority originate from somewhere else.

We live locally and find other routes to avoid this section at peak times as do a lot of local caravanners.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
JC

Can someone explain what a profesional caravanner is?

There is no explanation.Just my own comparitive vocabulary.

I'd suggest a close explanation would be those who take time to read the CC, CCC or PC mags etc plus those who read this forum and take the hobby of caravanning seriously particularly in regard to safety.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well said Dusty.

But the M5 is closed again all day today because someone has crashed and brought down power cables between J18 & J22.

I'm due to go down there aturday to see our daughter at Taunton, so I'll have to study form on the news in the morning.

Trouble is that the M5 brought a main artirial link to the south west and avon & somerset councils sat back and forgot to imporve the surrounding A roads. Thus saving cash but making our lives hell if the motorway closes.

With the motorway I can do Hereford to Taunton in 2 hours, without it's 5 hours plus.

ATB Steve L.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Re. M5 closure Friday

When the M5 is closed around Bristol and in particular the Avonmouth bridge which was closed Friday there are no alternative routes nearby.

The only alternatives within 25 miles are through Bristol or Bath with the easiest being A38 or M32 into Bristol City Centre from the north and the A38/A370 to Burnham/WSM.

This is because the next crossing is the Cumberland Basin in Bristol, you can come up under the suspension bridge but that would mean you had already got to the Avonmouth bridge.

On Friday morning all of these roads were seized solid with the knock on effect that all of the minor arterial roads and the ring road were useless too. I was involved in heavy traffic just crossing one of these minor arterial roads.

My advice if you hear it is like this would be find a service area get the kettle and TV on and sit it out.

If you are coming from London direction the A303 would be a good alternative.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
re professional caravanner

My point is that we virtually all tow caravans as part of a leisure pursuit so I can not see how anyone could class themselves as professional.

However like any other driver on the road there are good sensible drivers and people who do not give any thought to what they are doing, and I took that to be what you meant.

Ask any motorcyclist what they think of most 16YO moped drivers and you will get a similar response.

Personally I am quite happy when I see a badly laden/towed outfit being pulled by traffic officers - they give us all a bad name.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l used to travel to Bristol before l retired 18months ago, used to stop at the Marriot Royal would not like to use that route to tow a van to many yellow box's with camera's, as Jeremy Clarkson says soon gets total grid lock

TRENDING THREADS