Whats the problem with the M5

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

I've read loads of threads and comments regarding accidents and overturned caravans on the M5, Having not travelled on it (yet)just wondering is there a problem with this road? We're planning on going to Cornwall next year and would probably be going down the M5 for the 1st time. If its a problem with the road rather than the driver, then I would rather know, so I can alter my route

ta

Rick

G

Most problems are probably the idiots driving on it.

Side winds on many of the exposed parts or driving winds and rain have always been an issue on the M5 from Bristol down.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Richard

The M5 on a quiet day can be a pleasant journey but there are sections with long gradual downhill gradients coupled with ruts in the carriageway caused by goods vehicles and exposed areas with crosswinds. A lapse in concentration can have serious consequences in these sections but don't forget that the M5 probably carries a higher than average volume of caravans which may account for the comments.

Correct loading with good standards of driving and concentration should ensure a safe and pleasant trip.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

I wouldnt worry too much about the M5 I tend to agree that as long as your outfit is matched correctly and you have loaded your van correctly then you should be fine. I too have heard all the horror stories about the m5 but I regularly tow my caravan down that way and infact have not long returned from Devon with absoloutly no problems atol.

Hope this helps and enjoy Cornwall!

Jun 25, 2006
Visit site
I went down through Bristol on friday, major roadworks from there down to the Weston junction both ways. Look like they will continue for a while. Came back today via Glastonbury & Chippenham.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The problem with the M5 is the traffic volume, plus when going to newquay for example, that for me is a 5/6 hour journey, so tiredness is a factor.

I haven't been down there since we found sewage was being pumped into the sea, the last time around 15 years ago, when we were there with the kids, i came out of the sea with a tampax stuck to my leg!

However im sure you will enjoy your holiday there. But we travelled at night to miss most of the traffic, if you don't be prepared for very long tailbacks!

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
The problem with the M5 is the traffic volume, plus when going to newquay for example, that for me is a 5/6 hour journey, so tiredness is a factor.

I haven't been down there since we found sewage was being pumped into the sea, the last time around 15 years ago, when we were there with the kids, i came out of the sea with a tampax stuck to my leg!

However im sure you will enjoy your holiday there. But we travelled at night to miss most of the traffic, if you don't be prepared for very long tailbacks!
Thanks for the info everyone.

Driving down overnight would have been my preferred option, but the latest I can get my caravan out of storage is 7pm, which would mean we would be hitting our site at some rediculous hour of the morning. Im travelling from Scunthorpe (this wont be until next summer though), the plan being to set off around 8am on the Saturday, and drive down to somewhere around Highbridge in Somerset and (the earliest I can get my van in the morning) do an overnight stop. I would hope to be arriving there mid afternoon/tea time. Then finish the journey down to Mawgan Porth the next morning.

Similar plan on the way back, just stopping around the Birmingham area for an overnight stop instead, and finishing the journey the next day.

Would this sound a reasonable plan, or am I kidding myself a bit?

cheers Rick

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Used to love going to cornwall Devon way, not any more total rip off for parking.

l used to drive dozen times a year from Cheshire to one of our plants at Bristol, always had ruddy trouble on the M5 and once you had got past the M5 on the way back you had that bl--dy M6 to deal with, so now its upto Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes mostly with the walking boots and of course the dogs.

But even so l miss the rugged western cliffs of cornwall and Devon, hopefully thing will change for the better.

NigelH

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

we love the southwest "all of it" and have been there 20 or so times in the last 3 years comming from yorkshire the M5 is really the only viable route for us but it is still a 400+ mile journey overhaul the two main problems with the M5 is road works it seems to be under constant repair as soon as one section is finished they start somewhere else just now it's at bristol next will probably be around taunton where the road is very rutted. the other thing is traffic volume which is why the road is allways under repair.

we tend to travel over night where possible setting off late evening and getting below bristol before stopping for a few hrs kip and then up and away past exeter before breakfast.

I can't really say we have had any major problems on this road at all over the years but if you have to travel during the day expect delays lots of them the last time we did this comming home in early august it took us 15hrs to get home from st austell 5 of which were spent parked on the M5 in one delay or another.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Richard,

I live in Somerset just a few miles off the M5.

Would agree with other posts, combination of downhill stretches, windy sections, badly rutted inside lane, driving too fast etc (not forgetting other idiots that create dangerous situations for caravanners) but also proportion of caravans probably much higher on this route.

One problem more likely to affect you is traffic density, weekends throughout the summer are a nightmare on the M5 and as traffic is being funnelled into the 'narrow' south west peninsula, any accident causes mahem as there are not too many easy alternative routes. Even so, I live not far from Highbridge and wonder at how all the holiday traffic used to pass along the congested A38 in the town before the M5 was built. I lived in the Midlands then and a 10-12 hour journey was normal. The A38 through Devon and major route through Cornwall are much better now however.

All worth while once you're there.

Bill D.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
What people forget about the M5 is that, it is the main arterial route to the south west. Other arterial routes in the uk seem to have a tandem partner. The M6 and M1 for example, which splits the northbound traffic in the midlands into east/west routing.

There is an issue with tramlines in lane 1 for a lot of the motorway, also ther is the juction of M4 and M49 to deal with and the bottle neck of the avonmouth bridge.

Then there are the natural disruptions caused by windy sections and long down hill sections to catch out the unwary rushing caravanner. Oh lets not forget the idiotic antics of solo car drivers and truck/bus drivers who all cause others to brake sharply to avoid accidents.

I regularly travel the M5 on a bi-weekly frequencey and can hand on heart say, I see examples of all of the above everytime I use the motorway.

However with all it's faults the M5 is still a vast improvement to using the A38.

Regards.

Steve L.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone.

I must admit the truth does make the prospect of driving down the M5 a little off putting as I am not an experienced tower as yet.

I had thought about driving down to just south of Bristil, then doing an overnight stop, and finishing the trip to Mawgen Porth the next morning. Dont suppose this would make things any easier would it?

Rick

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Richard

Don't forget that by the time that you make your trip to Cornwall next year you will have gained more experience of towing.

Don't be put off by 'horror stories', simply load your car and caravan correctly after checking obvious things like tyre condition and pressures as you would before any long journey.

From where you live an overnight stop south of Bristol makes lots of sense, you will have passed one of the potential 'choke points' and can start early next morning refreshed and alert.

The fact that you have posted onto this forum seeking advice shows that you are a conscientious and responsible driver and caravanner who is unlikely to encounter any difficulty that is beyond your capabilities.

Go for it!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Richard........Do not worry about the M5..... just take it easy.

If you are aprehensive just stick to lane one and keep you speed at 50.

Most traffic wanting to travel faster will be in the other lanes and trucks will be quite happy if you keep to a steady 50.

What truck drivers do not like is drivers who keep changing their speed in relation to their governed maximum of 56mph.

Pick the wrong day, or even time of day and you will be lucky to get up to 50mph anyway!!

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Richard

the best advice I could give mirrors Gafferbill's take you time and be aware, if possible travel overnight or very eary morning doing a stop over below bristol say near weston super mare or taunton is also a good idea as it reduces the fatigue of the journey and gives you a better ETA at your chosen site in cornwall use the journey as part of your holiday and don't clock watch on your way down. I am sure everything will be fine so don't worry 1000s take the same trip every year without incedent just enjoy.

colin

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
They are resurfacing the Avonmouth bridge AGAIN and have closed 1 lane off in each direction, this is until Xmas so avoid peak times particularly friday afternoons.

The windy section of the M5 is between WSM and Bridgwater - the wind blows straight up the severn estuary and across the somerset levels between the Mendips and Quantocks, but if you are not silly you will find this not normally a problem.

A tip - a lot of SW sites have an overnight arrivals area (ring and check) so if you leave the previous evening or overnight you will avoid a load of hassle and gain a day.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Richard,

Done the M5 this week towing the opposite direction to you,like you

I was a bit weary as this was my longest tow time to date 3.5 hours

from home to site including a break. Can honestly say it was'nt a problem at all. Keep to the speed limit or under and you will be fine.

The only thing I could add is, as previous responses say the ruts on part of the motor way could do with repairs.

I hit the Avonmouth bridge around lunchtime both ways and sailed through no probs but when you go all should be back in order anyway.

Enjoy your holiday.

Kev

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Without wishing to be a snob there are more amateur than professional caravanners on the M5 than any other motorway.

The West Country is a lovely place and attracts all sorts . The times I have been cruising at 55mph and overtaken very rapidly by Mr amateur doing near on 70 mph with a poorly laden caravan says it all.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Travelled from Bristol going west last Sunday early evening no prob.

But the work on the east bound side of the Avonmouth bridge caused a tailback roughly 25 miles long well past Weston, it looked like a total nightmare.

That bridge must be the worst piece of engineering on the Road network, I took the best part of 2 years to widen and fix it up last time and I'll swear they only finished less than 2 years ago.

I beleive people were held up for 7 hrs a month or so back due to some unfortunate soul who eventualy jumped from the bridge.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
thanks for all the information. We have decided that we're going to travel overnight (ish)

I friend of ours who travels down Newquay way every year says theres plenty of laybys on the A30 to get your head down for a few hours. We have to have our caravan out of storage between 8am and 7pm, so I think we're going to get off around 6:30pm, hopefully the rush hour should have calmed down by the time we hit the M5.

She also mentioned that you need to be past Bodmin before 9am or yuo'll get stuck for hours in traffic, anyone else have this problem?

She also mentioned its best to be past Bodmin by 9am because of the traffic. Would this

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
dusty

I don't think your comments are snobby, more like a comment made by a dumpling?

Have do you determine a amateur tower simply be looking at his rig, or is it a conclusion arrived at via the fact that he has passed you?

If its the latter, then they must be a hell of a lot of "amateurs" on the road, as i am constantly being overtaken, or could it simply be that they have a long journey to run, and travelling at 60mpg will get them there a tad quicker?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray said

"dusty

I don't think your comments are snobby, more like a comment made by a dumpling?"

Only an ignoramous would say that.Clearly observation is not your strong point. Have you never seen the sunken rear suspensions, front mudguards sky high etc.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Yep, your correct Dusty only did 30 miles on it this year saw two wrecked caravans, rigs passing well over the speed limit and not well matched or balnced units at that, glad to get off it.

NigelH

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dusty

So that is how you determine a rig is unsafe.

I find if strange then, that in the main it is the larger cars, 4x4 etc, that i have seen along side the over turned caravan.

I believe your observations are flawed.

TRENDING THREADS