Wheel Clamp / Hitch Locks

Sep 20, 2008
Visit site
After selling our 1991 Fleetwood Garland which we never bothered insuring, we have organised caravan insurance for our 2005 Elddis Crusader Typhoon which we pick up on Tuesday.

Part of the speel on the insurance document reads that when the caravan is unattended, it must be 'protected by a hitchlock and a wheel clamp of a proprietary make'.

Any ideas what proprietary make means?

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi

They probably mean one that is "sold secure".

I am new to caravanning, so hopefuly someone will be along to answer your question in a bit more depth. Sorry!!!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
It is a wheelclamp or hitchlock made by a company that makes wheelclamps or hitchlocks not something you have made yourself.

As said something that is sold secure would be the better option.

Brian

Sep 20, 2008
Visit site
Spot on.

Thanks fellas.

I have a 'Rise & Clamp' which I kept when I sold my old caravan. Gonna use it and buy either a Bulldog or Milenco Wheel-clamp for added security.

The van comes with a Winterhoff Hitch Lock.

Anyone recommend good corner steady locks? I see SAS do them but I'm not sure if they fit corner steadies that have a collar.

Thanks again,

Shaun.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have just bought a new caravan and was amazed how many differt locks their are.

Hitch locks if its an alco hitch, alco make a specific hitch lock which simply slots into the hitch head and locks on with the turn of a key or alternatively Bulldog produce a hitch lock more like a steel box which slots over the hitch head slots into a bottom box and bolts / locks solidly in place, both are gold secure.

As for wheel locks again if its an alco chassis the alco wheel lock is probably the most secure lock you can buy however some say it can be fiddly lineing the wheel up with the receiver wich first check its fitted to your van. also quiet expensive aprox

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A word of advice to the newcomers - a hitch lock is a good deterrent against theft when stationary - never have it fitted when you are towing as should an accident occurr it will be more difficult to unhitch the van from the car. Also don't think your van will be safe if left in a service station with the hitchlock on and coupled to your tow car - all the thief has to do is undo the two bolts holding the tow ball to the car and redo them on their vehicle and they are away. If we pull into a motorway services we have the break in the van and we take it in turns if we need to use the toilet facilities at the services - the van or car is never left unattended.

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Excellent advice Colin. You've certainly taught me a thing or twoI never thought of thieves unbolting the towball or the problem unlocking the hitchlock if you have an accident, Well done!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts