Wheel Locks

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I know of a caravan that was stolen with alko wheel locks fitted
Not going to post how,

Point is, if someone wants your caravan no amount of security devices will stop them.

I will add those clamp type wheel locks, looks like a big claw, neighbour forget to detach it, drove caravan away no problem, left bent lock behind!
Totally useless

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully you are aware that if you drill any holes in the ALKO chassis or anywhere else like on the wheels, you may invalidate any warranty on the whole item in question. i.e. chassis and axles? Your choice!
I Never mentioned drilling any holes, if you read my post it specifically states floor mounted.
You would have to be a bit silly to start drilling holes etc in a brand new chassis

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I know of a caravan that was stolen with alko wheel locks fitted
Not going to post how,

Point is, if someone wants your caravan no amount of security devices will stop them.

I will add those clamp type wheel locks, looks like a big claw, neighbour forget to detach it, drove caravan away no problem, left bent lock behind!
Totally useless
Yes I agree big claws, some of them would be better replaced with crab 🦞😂
ALKO red hitchlock make good paper weights.
Battery powered grinders and portable gas cutting equipment make it much easier for the scum, you just have to try your best

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My feeling is that if they can remove one ALKO lock they can remove three. I would there for try something different on the other side just to make life more difficult for any thieves.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Now that’s all sorted, I have decided to make it more complicated, I have bought a second hand ALKO lock which I am going to use on the other side. The plan is to make a receiver which has several ports in it, such that when I have got the proper one aligned, the opposite wheel won’t be far off lining up. The receiver is floor mounted and can be moved a little, so I should be able to put the lock on without jacking up etc.

Do you have a pictrue of thsi receiver as never heard of it? Why not have a proactive Tracker like Phantom fitted to your outfit?

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I could get that off in 5 minutes with no damage to the hitch.

A lock will deter opportunist thieves, dont know if that's a caravan thing, but those out with intent, locks only slow them down.

I dont have a tracker because if it gets nicked I don't want it back

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

A lock will deter opportunist thieves, dont know if that's a caravan thing, but those out with intent, locks only slow them down.

Please you are welcome to try and remove the ALKO secure on our caravan as it will take a lot longer than 5 minutes to remove as it cannot be prised off. LOL! :D

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Simple, level of security, just had a massive theft claim. You can’t stop theft but you can move it elsewhere. I am hoping having an ALKO on each side of the van is the maximum deterrent (plus several other security measures)
Alko receivers are normally only fitted on one side - you can of course add a wheel clamp the other side.

Twin axles have two Alko receivers the same side - putting one on each side would allow theft simply by deflating the tyres where the wheel lock is and then dragging the caravan.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Joking aside,
My thoughts are if those who steal caravans want it they'll take it no matter what.

I've known one that was stolen by a gang of men from a Cosa gold site, all recorded on camera, both alko locks t/a and hitch lock lets say removed, tracker found and rendered in operable.

So my security is just to satisfy insurance cover, and to stop the bloke on the next door pitch going home with mine! 🤣

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Joking aside,
My thoughts are if those who steal caravans want it they'll take it no matter what.

I've known one that was stolen by a gang of men from a Cosa gold site, all recorded on camera, both alko locks t/a and hitch lock lets say removed, tracker found and rendered in operable.

So my security is just to satisfy insurance cover, and to stop the bloke on the next door pitch going home with mine! 🤣
it all depends if your caravan on there list they will pinch it at all cost so any security is better than none it just make it longer ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: smida040
Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
This post was originally about wheel locks. To clarify. My second ALKO secure is on a single axle caravan, the second receiver will be bespoke which is fastened to the ground! It will take some design, fabrication and testing etc. the main differnce will be that when on the storage yard the van is bolted to the ground. Yes, I have a tracker, alarm, anti Ram bollards, 19mm hardened chain oh and a hitch lock, but the thread is about wheel locks😀

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This post was originally about wheel locks. To clarify. My second ALKO secure is on a single axle caravan, the second receiver will be bespoke which is fastened to the ground! It will take some design, fabrication and testing etc. the main difference will be that when on the storage yard the van is bolted to the ground. Yes, I have a tracker, alarm, anti Ram bollards, 19mm hardened chain oh and a hitch lock, but the thread is about wheel locks😀
Surely if they connect the caravan to a vehicle the receiver in the ground will simply be yanked out when they try tow it? Why not have a tracker that notifies you immediately they someone interferes with the caravan? You may not be able to stop them towing it away but the tracker will notify you. They will alos need to find the tracker first and if the tracker was fitted afterwards they have no idea where it is located. If they try and jam it, the tracker will notify the call centre straight away.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This post was originally about wheel locks. To clarify. My second ALKO secure is on a single axle caravan, the second receiver will be bespoke which is fastened to the ground! It will take some design, fabrication and testing etc. the main differnce will be that when on the storage yard the van is bolted to the ground. Yes, I have a tracker, alarm, anti Ram bollards, 19mm hardened chain oh and a hitch lock, but the thread is about wheel locks😀
Apologies it will not happen again :)

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Surely if they connect the caravan to a vehicle the receiver in the ground will simply be yanked out when they try tow it? Why not have a tracker that notifies you immediately they someone interferes with the caravan? You may not be able to stop them towing it away but the tracker will notify you. They will alos need to find the tracker first and if the tracker was fitted afterwards they have no idea where it is located. If they try and jam it, the tracker will notify the call centre straight away.
So this it where it gets a bit technical, Shear load to break an M20 bolt equals X , although there could be an argument that it would be in tension depending upon how the receiver reacts when been pulled at. So the pull out strength of the receiver needs to be greater than the load to break the bolt. Not rocket science, although it is a big lump of concrete and some reasonable HD bolts😀

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So this it where it gets a bit technical, Shear load to break an M20 bolt equals X , although there could be an argument that it would be in tension depending upon how the receiver reacts when been pulled at. So the pull out strength of the receiver needs to be greater than the load to break the bolt. Not rocket science, although it is a big lump of concrete and some reasonable HD bolts😀
If you make the ground attachment too strong, you'll risk distorting the chassis attachment if unauthorised movement is attempted - if the attachment is to the caravan body, it'll just disintegrate.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just skimmed through this topic, and I 'm not sure if its been mentioned. Different Insurance companies have a different perspective on what constitutes appropriate security equipment or measures, so it seem it should be obvious to consult your insurer about what they will accept. Its also worth noting that depending on a persons claims history they might stipulate a different level of security.

If the insurer does set out the measures, if you don't follow their requirements and you suffer a loss and try to claim they may well refuse the claim.

Only you can decide if its worth the risk.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Darren, I agree that sometimes nothing will stop the thieves if you have the caravan hey specifically want but they do also look at these. Quite simply if they have a choice of two or more of what they want they will go for the easiest so if you have the least security yours would be the favourite to go.

Trackers do mean that quite often the caravan is recovered within hours and in this case the caravan would be as you eft it so getting it back would save you a lot of time and money. If it is not recovered quickly then the tracker will be dealt with and so getting it back later and possibly damaged is unlikely and would not be due to the tracker. In general by the time it is recovered you should have been paid out, so the insurer will simply sell it.

The description of how to get the ALKO lock off is correct, but it is very difficult and risks doing damage to the caravan, which might render it immovable.

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
We are all friends on here aren’t we?😂
Alas no, theres a massive gap between them and us here.
As ever the trolls have distorted this thread, with the usual "they will take it if they want it" rather than a reasonably practical outcome for cost and security needs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts