Wheel Locks

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok, so the new van is ordered, it's a twin axle. Looks like with or without the Al-Ko wheel lock, the insurance is expensive so I don't really think having to fork out for one full Al-Ko kit, plus a replacement number 48 lozenge (we have a 44 for the Sprite currently) is really worth doing.

So what do you all use as a wheel lock (if the insurance is going to be sky high anyway. I've seen lots that are half the price of the Al-Ko and therefore a better saving than what the insurance company would give me for fitting one.

It needs to fit Bailey 2021 14" wheels - And i'll need 2.......

GO!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Alko when at home or in storage and Milenco lightweight when touring. CMHC as insurer don’t specify type only that a wheel lock is required. They did offer 10% discount for use of Alko but I did not want to be bound.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Cheers all.

CCC insurance ask to specify which so I’m going to look into how good the discount is but I can’t see it being enough to warrant 2 ALKO locks

in the meantime I can start getting sorted with which equipment I have from our Sprite which will be useable on the Bailey.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, the discount would not be worth the hassle of levelling AND trying to fit the AlKo, let alone two of them. Its supposed to be a holiday.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 29, 2018
Visit site
For me, the discount would not be worth the hassle of levelling AND trying to fit the AlKo, let alone two of them. Its supposed to be a holiday.

Agreed. It’s bad enough getting one wheel lined up with the receiver let alone 2.

reckon I’ll be selling my current AlKo shortly then.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve got the Alko wheel lock but single axle and got a mover so fitting it is an absolute doddle, if I had a twin axle I wouldn’t even consider an Alko as by the time you’ve jacked the wheel up to line it up you’d have had enough hassle, on a single I fit it or remove it in less than 5 minutes.

BP

Reactions: RogerL
May 29, 2018
Visit site
Not sure why people find it so difficult to fit two ALKO locks? We used a Lock n Level bag and wife fitted the locks as I have difficulty bending down.

I’ve never had a problem lining up one but I would imagine without something like the lock n level bag, fitting two Alko locks to a twin axle would be a bit of a nightmare.

Also from a financial point of view, would the cost of 2 Alko locks, and the 2 axle lock n level bag be a bigger outlay than the discount gained from the insurance company for fitting Alko as opposed to another lock system?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we bought the Lock n Level bag for our TA in about 2012 it was about £100 if I recall correctly. Price has jumped up a bit since so maybe a second hand one?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I have to agree i, can park the van fit the two alko wheel locks and level the van in less than 10 mins thats putting jack and wheel lock bags back in the car.

Unless you have mobility isuues etc i really dont know why people are anti alko lol.

Each to their own though.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
I have to agree i, can park the van fit the two alko wheel locks and level the van in less than 10 mins thats putting jack and wheel lock bags back in the car.

Unless you have mobility isuues etc i really dont know why people are anti alko lol.

Each to their own though.

I wouldn’t say I was anti AlKo. I was more wondering whether the extra outlay for two Alko locks to fit a Bailey twin axle caravan plus any other bits and bobs I need to do that job is worth it for the amount of discount I will get off my insurance.

there are clearly other wheel lock systems at cost less, seem to be just as affective, and may possibly save more money in the long run.

I am clearly undecided on this 🙄

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hey,
I didn't mean you personally anti alko i just meant in general.

I got mine with the caravan when i purchased it so to be honest i would probably think the same regarding other options price. Insurance etc.

But in the grand scheme of things they aren't an issue fitting.

👍👍👍😁😁😁

Reactions: Ste6t9

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Basically, it all boils down to any requirements, insurance underwriters insist you comply with to have cover.

So read and understand the details in the small print.

I faced that issue with both my caravan in its early life when of very high value, and our car. One resolved by buying compliant locks, the other required a change of insurance to different underwriters, and paying out quite a bit more, or could have been by buying an even more expensive, approved tracking device.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Ok, so the new van is ordered, it's a twin axle. Looks like with or without the Al-Ko wheel lock, the insurance is expensive so I don't really think having to fork out for one full Al-Ko kit, plus a replacement number 48 lozenge (we have a 44 for the Sprite currently) is really worth doing.

So what do you all use as a wheel lock (if the insurance is going to be sky high anyway. I've seen lots that are half the price of the Al-Ko and therefore a better saving than what the insurance company would give me for fitting one.

It needs to fit Bailey 2021 14" wheels - And i'll need 2.......

GO!!!!

Forgive me if I'm reading this incorrectly but it seems to me that you want to choose a security aid based on the fact that the insurance cost is high. Surely you should be selecting one which offers the best deterent so that it doesn't get nicked in the first place. The insurance is just for peace of mind should the worst happen.

FWIW; I have the Purpleline Nemisis - very easy to fit but how well its stops a determined thief is unknown.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Forgive me if I'm reading this incorrectly but it seems to me that you want to choose a security aid based on the fact that the insurance cost is high. Surely you should be selecting one which offers the best deterent so that it doesn't get nicked in the first place. The insurance is just for peace of mind should the worst happen.

FWIW; I have the Purpleline Nemisis - very easy to fit but how well its stops a determined thief is unknown.

The main point of the post was primarily to find out if AlKo is the only way to go. I would like to have my cake and eat it but that’s never going to happen so I either pay out nearly double for an AlKo or I can probably get 2x Nemesis locks for the the same price as one AlKo and have higher insurance payments.
The main question is:

which locks do you all rate?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just to add something to the "cheap on ebay" thought. When you buy the Alko from new, you need to register the keys with Alko in case of loss or breakage. A used unit from Fleabay will probably have the keys registered to a previous owner. They need to be de-registered.

Reactions: PTA
May 29, 2018
Visit site
Just to add something to the "cheap on ebay" thought. When you buy the Alko from new, you need to register the keys with Alko in case of loss or breakage. A used unit from Fleabay will probably have the keys registered to a previous owner. They need to be de-registered.

good point. If I decide against Alko, I will be selling my lozenge, keys and barrel so must remember to do this.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The main point of the post was primarily to find out if AlKo is the only way to go. I would like to have my cake and eat it but that’s never going to happen so I either pay out nearly double for an AlKo or I can probably get 2x Nemesis locks for the the same price as one AlKo and have higher insurance payments.
The main question is:

If you take the cost of the caravan into consideration, the cost of the ALKO locks pales into insignificance, but offers peace of mind.

By the way are you aware that the caravan is fitted with the useless tracker Retrieve? It is as much good as a wet paper bag as you have to notify them if the caravan has gone missing. Not much good if the caravan is in storage and a week later you find out it is missing. Same applies if it is on your driveway.

We dumped our Retrieve and had the Phantom Tracker installed at our cost. If anyone interferes with the caravan we are notified immediately. Hopefully the culprits are apprehended before they can get away.

Reactions: Ste6t9
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The main question is:

Security wise the Alko is the best of the bunch. But how much better is not easy to detail. But seeing attempts to get an Alko lock off of a caravan the area becomes a wreck. So my view is that the sensible thieve will move elsewhere.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Alko definitely the most secure, and I use one at home where i have both the time and patience to faff around with it. The CAMC Insurance stipulates either a wheel lock or hitch lock whilst on site, so I use an Alko hitchlock, nemesis wheel lock for ease and lockable corner steadies.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Not sure if this is been mentioned. And I will ask the insurer. Can I use 1 Alko and one “other” lock on the 2nd axle??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts