Wheel Locks

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if this is been mentioned. And I will ask the insurer. Can I use 1 Alko and one “other” lock on the 2nd axle??
When the CAMC still had insurance we had their permission to do this, but I have mobility issues. Not sure if they still allow it as depends on underwriter.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Purple line nemesis would be an ideal compromise. So easy to fit once set up correctly. Any good at stopping a thief? Don't know.. We have two alko locks and ep levelling so it's easy but still more faffy than the nemesis system but but but the Alkos seem so secure and tbh i lock the two wheels on the other side on ours with cheap through the spokes clamps. Am seriously considering nemesis on uses two !!!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Purple line nemesis would be an ideal compromise. So easy to fit once set up correctly. Any food at stopping a thief. We have two alko locks and ep levelling so it's easy but still more faffy than the nemesis system but but but the Alkos seem so secure and tbh i lock the two wheels on the other side on ours with cheap through the spokes clamps. Am seriously considering nemesis on uses two !!!
E&P is not a deterrent as they simply open door and lift the steadies. However apparently on the new Buccaneers the control panel is removable which should enhance safety.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I Know , that's why Ididn't say that. I Said it made fitting the Alko locks easier. Can't see really why ep advertise their system as a theft deterrant as it takes seconds to retract the rams unless you remove the fuse of course. Good then!!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I Know , that's why Ididn't say that. I Said it made fitting the Alko locks easier. Can't see really why ep advertise their system as a theft deterrant as it takes seconds to retract the rams unless you remove the fuse of course. Good then!!!!
However apparently on the new Buccaneers the control panel is removable which should enhance safety.
I am wondering if one can replace the current hard wired control panel for the removable one and at what cost?

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
True but there is still an emergency 'up' button on the control unit so they say so wouldn't slow them much. Best way would be fuse removal or a quick release power line disconnection system but tbh two alko locks two through the spoke milencos and an alko hitch lock plus alarm seems like enough. Says he hopefully.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
True but there is still an emergency 'up' button on the control unit so they say so wouldn't slow them much. Best way would be fuse removal or a quick release power line disconnection system but tbh two alko locks two through the spoke milencos and an alko hitch lock plus alarm seems like enough. Says he hopefully.
I have seen photos on the forum here where a twin Axle caravan had been dragged about a mile over fields,from a storage area, with all the security, with two Alko Wheel locks on, and then they had been cut off, a chain around the hitch head. If they want your van they will take it.

Reactions: Thingy and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Totally agree-only thing you can do is lock it to the extent that they sadly go to someone elses. Or think twice but if they're nicking to order....... With regard to the Alko locks our insurance stipulates only one actually needs to be fitted not two-but tbh if youi're doing one you may as well do both if you can lift the van.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Our ins specifically says one must be fitted, not both, but we ignore that and fit both.

I think I’m going down the route of 2 Alko locks. I can use the barrel from my existing one and just get the red lozenge for that and then buy a full 2nd one.

can’t spring for the blow up bag thing as well so will have to make do with jacking up for now.

anyone want to buy a number 44 lozenge ☺️

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I assume all you that use the jack method to rotate the wheels to fit an Alko are leaving the caravan hitched to the car? Caravan up on one wheel, hand brake off and its a disaster waiting to happen.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We are lucky to have EP levelling-simply drop the nearside ram and lift the van-I do chock the offside wheels and if like now we're on a downward sloping site I did drop the front legs first so that the van couldn't really move! Makes life so easy.

Reactions: Ste6t9
May 29, 2018
Visit site
Whilst we’re on this then. Trolley or Bottle jack bebaust I’m almost certain our van will not come supplied with one.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Whilst we’re on this then. Trolley or Bottle jack bebaust I’m almost certain our van will not come supplied with one.
I have the Kojack scissor jack, but if the seals burst the whole thing will collapse, I tend to go with the alko jack supplied with the caravan as it is a screw jack.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well a trolley jack is going to be far too heavy to cart about with you, the options are usually bootle jack or sidejack as normally supplied with caravan. For bottle jacks most people seem to go with the Kojack, but as my car comes with a bottle jack anyway, I am looking at adapting a plate to attach it to the caravan. At the moment, I am using the sidejack for the caravan.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
A storage near me had 2 vans stolen a few months ago, the farmer told me that he had the Alko wheel lock recommended by the 3 police that attended as none of them had come across a theft of a van with an Alko fitted, I bought the Alko to hopefully stop it being nicked not just to comply with insurance.

BP

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I lost the noble thing that undos the alko bolt, so used a screwdriver wedged in, came straight out!
Make your own minds up.

I did have the round key to unlock it, but I cant help wonder if there is a way round that too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have seen photos on the forum here where a twin Axle caravan had been dragged about a mile over fields,from a storage area, with all the security, with two Alko Wheel locks on, and then they had been cut off, a chain around the hitch head. If they want your van they will take it.
I am in agreement with you if they want your caravan and it on the list nothing will stop them

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

If the caravan owner had a Phantom tracker fitted, the moment the caravan was interfered with the tracking company would have been notified.
Our storage area has a security gate that is locked at night, then they have to get past two rising bollards and another two gates if they come in the conventional way.
If they cut across the fields, they have a wooded area to cross, then a stream and again another wooded area before they get close to 6 - 8' mound that is in front of the fence. Doubt if they could get past the mound if they managed to get that far. :D

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I have posted this elsewhere so hopefully not going to get my wrists slapped by admin.

Reading all of the above, I tend to agree if they really want your van they may get it anyway, but having seen what happened to mine when it was stolen, I think lock technology has come on leaps and bounds over the years.

I am getting a new van, it’s having an ALKO wheel lock.
It’s also having an ALKO hitch lock, but not the type shown below.
I am interested in how difficult it is to line up the ALKO wheel lock, it’s only a single axle van, is it necessary to jack it up each time, or should I be able to just juggle the van to line the receiver up?
I used to have a ko jack hydraulic scissor jack, but when needed to jack the van up very high, I was always a bit nervous

Anyway ALKO hitch lock picture below, reckon less than10 second to remove

Attachments

• 42415F0E-8162-438D-BB2D-F26201F14937.jpeg
    42415F0E-8162-438D-BB2D-F26201F14937.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 8
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have posted this elsewhere so hopefully not going to get my wrists slapped by admin.

Reading all of the above, I tend to agree if they really want your van they may get it anyway, but having seen what happened to mine when it was stolen, I think lock technology has come on leaps and bounds over the years.

I am getting a new van, it’s having an ALKO wheel lock.
It’s also having an ALKO hitch lock, but not the type shown below.
I am interested in how difficult it is to line up the ALKO wheel lock, it’s only a single axle van, is it necessary to jack it up each time, or should I be able to just juggle the van to line the receiver up?
I used to have a ko jack hydraulic scissor jack, but when needed to jack the van up very high, I was always a bit nervous

Anyway ALKO hitch lock picture below, reckon less than10 second to remove
If you have a motor mover fitted it should be a doddle to line up the receiver to fit the ALKO lock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts