Wheel spin with front wheel drive

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bizarre sense of humour as well!

Any chance of comparing our respective "green credentials" re emmissions etc? Or are you doing as before and just ignoring my request because you know the answer is not to your liking?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, once again you are digressing totally from the subject. May I remind you that the subject of this thread is:

'Wheel spin with front wheel drive'

With reference to this subject title, I don't think anybody is interested in long discourses about 4x4's or even tractors. It doesn't help Jim one bit in answering his question. Please stick to the topic with a constructive suggestion how to avoid potential wheel spin problems with a front wheel drive car.

Your criticism of my suggestion to keep a recovery rope in the car is fair (although I don't see it quite as critical if you use a bit of common sense) but although you have said a lot you have not offered much in the way of an alternative.

Having said that I wouldn't overrate the problem. There are so many front wheel drive cars towing caravans that they can't all be unsuitable and anyway, there is nearly always someone nearby to help on the odd occasion where they may have got stuck.
Hi Lutz

My alternative was to suggest that you plan your route/site with care so as not to get yourself into difficulty in the first place.

If you do get into difficulty - then you should only use professional recovery gear. Not to do so invalidates your insurance. What you suggest is probably not allowed under the site owners Professional Indemnity and Personal Liability cover either.

My recommendation for what it is worth, is A) don't get yourself into that situation in the first place and b) If it does happen get the site owner to get you out - after all its his site that causes the problem not the car or caravan.

My concern is that if you get an enthusiastic amateur to pull you out and it all goes pear shaped who is to blame?

It is the enthusiastic amateur if he was driving the tow vehicle! You are asking others to take on a great deal of responcibility in these litigeous times that I doubt many would realise.

The TV is full of adverts "Have you had an accident? Then sue!".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lutz

My alternative was to suggest that you plan your route/site with care so as not to get yourself into difficulty in the first place.

If you do get into difficulty - then you should only use professional recovery gear. Not to do so invalidates your insurance. What you suggest is probably not allowed under the site owners Professional Indemnity and Personal Liability cover either.

My recommendation for what it is worth, is A) don't get yourself into that situation in the first place and b) If it does happen get the site owner to get you out - after all its his site that causes the problem not the car or caravan.

My concern is that if you get an enthusiastic amateur to pull you out and it all goes pear shaped who is to blame?

It is the enthusiastic amateur if he was driving the tow vehicle! You are asking others to take on a great deal of responcibility in these litigeous times that I doubt many would realise.

The TV is full of adverts "Have you had an accident? Then sue!".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Crikey, Clive, what have emissions got to do with wheel spin? You don't learn, do you?!!!
Its called conversation Lutz - Dave and I carry on more than one at a time!

Sorry if you feel "out of the loop".

Oh - and I don't believe you ever stop learning. Thats what conversation does for you - it allows the free flowing of ideas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim,

Getting back to the vectra front wheel spinning on wet grass.

As you recall I to have a vectra, when I am on a slope or parked on wet grass, I use the caravan motor mover to move the van onto to the gravel then hitch up.

Royston.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
No one seems to have mentioned the effect that tyre choice has on slippage, unless I've missed it in the never ending 4x4 pro or con interjections.

Whatever car you drive, the choice of tyre, tread pattern, tyre pressure, tread depth, etc., make an enormous difference to the levels of grip on slippery surfaces.

Choosing one of the fuel efficient tyres - those that give a welcome extra few percent better fuel consumption - don't work too well on wet grass.

And obviously a chunky mud and snow tyre will provide much better traction, but these are really noisy on the motorway and wear quite quickly.

Good tyre choice is an important factor - does anyone have a favourite?

And lower tyre pressures on the driving wheels also helps, but you need to pump the tyres up before you drive on the roads.

Robert

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
the trouble is Rob as soon as the wheels start spinning the mud turns the tyre into a slick now matter what type/condition the tyre is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim,

Getting back to the vectra front wheel spinning on wet grass.

As you recall I to have a vectra, when I am on a slope or parked on wet grass, I use the caravan motor mover to move the van onto to the gravel then hitch up.

Royston.
Thanks for your suggestion Royston, I dont have a motor mover but atleast your comment is relevant. How are you getting on with the wing mirrors? I have an old set which hook over the edge of the door and are tensioned by an elastic which hooks over the door bottom edge. Works very well but you have to be careful to protect the door or you get 2 nice little dents. Havent tried them on the Vectra yet though!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I see what your trying to say Rob, but the gains are small, and as soon as the tyre slips once it's like Roy says, they may as well be slicks. One of the benefits of a 4x4 is the fact that they are not towing the rear wheels as well, in fact they make a positive contribution, that is why you see so many 2 wheel drives stuck before they even hitch to the caravan. Best way to avoid getting stuck is prior planning, even if it means parking the car away from the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's very giving of you lol, I don't think clive ever asked what car I drive though?

You're also completely wrong about 2 wheel drive cars getting stuck before they hitch to a 'van also.

It's not how many wheels turn, it's how clever/daft the driver is. I've seen too many 4x4s churn up the ground, and what a mess they make too.

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever heard of sand ladders,they are placed on the floor in front of the driving wheels once the tyre grips the sand ladder you have enough traction to gain momentum to get you to solid ground.I`ve never used them myself but i suppose they would work on wet grass if they work in the sahara.

ps i tow with a vectra and have never been stuck yet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's very giving of you lol, I don't think clive ever asked what car I drive though?

You're also completely wrong about 2 wheel drive cars getting stuck before they hitch to a 'van also.

It's not how many wheels turn, it's how clever/daft the driver is. I've seen too many 4x4s churn up the ground, and what a mess they make too.
Indeed Clive has Stinky, quite a few times. And if 2 wheel drives don't get stuck, please go tell the owner of High Moor Farm park, a few seasons ago when on the Easter break the weather turned foul. What happened? You guessed it, the many 2 wheel drive cars that couldn't be bothered to wait for the tractor to pull them off ended up getting bogged down and carving up the grass pitches, must have cost the family run business thousands in lost revenue and repairs. Trouble is, as a site owner, do you stop people staying during one of your most profitable times, because the weather turns bad? I dare say there are a few 4x4 owners that will demonstrate their cars ability and go too far, but like you said, that's down to the people, not the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thats the sort of thing I had in mind, possibly a mat that could be rolled up and stored when not required. Would that work? Glad to hear you have had no probs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mats have a nasty tendency of throwing themselves out the back of cars at high velocity, ok in an emergency, but I would wait for a tractor if you're that stuck, or a friendly 4x4 owner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even longer if the Anti's get their way.
Hi Lol

Just got back - no caravan this weekend - visiting a friend.

Good point about sand ladders you made - what is it with these guys that want to use equipment like that?

They are very good but I have never had to use them? Tho' I did read of a lady whose leg was lacerated by one when it shot out from a car and hit her. Again - unless you know what you are doing and peg them down properly, Health & Safety would have a field day.

As for us 4x4 drivers being unfriendly!! - They wish! One thing I love about caravanning is the chat with new people and, of course, the topic of tow vehicle comes up.

Never had a problem - always friendly - always live and let live. With guys like us about - this can only continue!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even longer if the Anti's get their way.
Clive, if you read through some of the posts you will see we had quite a weekend while you were away, but it's gone quite on the 4x4 front. So if we don't say anymore about it, it might stay like that for a while, give the other folks a rest I suppose. See, it's as you said, we are caring sharing caravaners!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts