Wheel Woes: Can’t Fit New Wheels on My Swift Caravan!

Jun 26, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice and hope you can help.

I recently bought new wheels for my 1998 Swift Caravan. When I went to fit them, I noticed that the dust cap in the center of the old wheels is around 55mm, while the new wheels have a 60mm center. Is this an issue? The bolts are cone-shaped and seem to locate the wheels well, and the dust cap is only made of aluminum.

Thanks in advance for your help!
1719438748328.png

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Is this a different size dust cap? If so, it simply will not fit onto the hub. Or are you saying that the hole in the rim is larger. If so, that will not be a problem.

John

Jun 26, 2024
Visit site
The dust caps are the original ones, more than likely been on the caravan since it was built in '98. I see that 55mm AL-KO is a common size grease/dust cap. but no one seems to supply wheels with a 55mm hole. The new wheels have a 60mm hole.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The dust cap seals the wheel bearings grease in (it has Alko stamped in it) its a firm push fit into the hub so as long as the wheel fits over it OK there's no issue at all.

Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The dust cap plays and must not play any part in centering the wheel.

From what you stated I am assuming the wheel having a 60 mm dia hole fits over the 55mm dia cap with the needed clearance all round it? If so on that point it is correct.

Your mention of the bolts being "cone shaped", this really needs rechecking as more typically steel wheels use "spherical" profiled bolts and seatings, not cones.
Cone shaped bolts would very commonly be used on alloy wheels.

You are advised to recheck the wheel's bolt seating shape, to ensure it is not spherical, if it is for safety you must use the correct shaped spherical bolts, doing otherwise is dangerous.

Reactions: Anseo and Jcloughie
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Surely the OP is referring to the seating cone at the top of the threaded section of the bolt? This is common on many vehicle fittings and effectively pushes the rim in to the proper seated position.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Surely the OP is referring to the seating cone at the top of the threaded section of the bolt? This is common on many vehicle fittings and effectively pushes the rim in to the proper seated position.
Yes, but with steel wheels it is quite common practice that these are not cone shaped but spherical registers where the matching spherically profiled bolt must be used, for a safe fit.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Curiously then why do Bailey tell you that whether you have alloys wheels or have to replace it with a steel wheel (be that full size or a skinny spare) the standard bolts will fit and can be used?
Doesn't make sense to me......

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Curiously then why do Bailey tell you that whether you have alloys wheels or have to replace it with a steel wheel (be that full size or a skinny spare) the standard bolts will fit and can be used?
I have just started a thread about this as I didn't want to drift this thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same fir
Same for all the steel spares ( full or ss) on cars that I’ve owned. Just different torques.

Jun 26, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for all the messages. When I re-measured the original wheels the centre hole was indeed 60mm, so there was a 2.5mm gap between the wheel and the dust cap, which I had previously failed to notice.
As for the wheel bolts, the mounting face is definitely conical, not spherical, both the old and the new wheels are the same, so it looks like I'm good to go!
I did take the opportunity to get the wheels balanced though. I thought it would be a good idea especially as the caravan is 26 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts