Where are the weigh bridges?

May 8, 2007
Visit site
As a responsible caravan owner, I am more than aware of the weight issues we all face as we go about our business of towing large heavy objects on the public highway.

Having aquired a new caravan and suffering from what I believe is a common caravanning problem, ie that they get bigger each time you buy a new one, I am quite keen to make sure 100% how much it weighs with all my kit in it for peace of mind. No issues here with kerbweight (plenty) or GTW (ditto) but the MTPLM of the van is creeping closer to the car's max tow weight and with a family of five we have a lot of stuff.

As far as I can tell, the only way to do this properly is to actually weigh it. As I can't seem to get the damn thing to fit on my wife's bathroom scales, I suspect I need a weigh bridge.

Trouble is I can't find one, or more specifically a list of their locations and whether you can just drive your outfit up to one at any time and weigh it. So my question is, do any of you good people out there know the location of a caravan friendly weigh bridge in the north Essex area, or even a website with a list of weigh bridge locations?

Any information very gratefully received.

Many thanks

Dave

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Put weighbridges in to Google and follow from there. Also some councils have a list of public weighbridges - give yours a call. If that fails Yellow pages list weighbridge servicing agents - they could give you a lead.

May 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Mike, I had tried some of your suggestions previously without much success, although well done for finding the Thurrock site - its about the only local council site in Essex to actually list a weighbridge!

I have now given up on the web and phoned my local council. It must be a tricky question, because they have taken my number and are phoning me back......

Thanks once again for your help.

Dave

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
hi

i had the same problem in sunderland ,at one time we had at least2 weight bridges in the town ,i ended up going to a local scrap yard and they charged me

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
A word of caution about scrapyards (and any other public weighbridge). Make sure the weighbridge has an up to date calibration certificate from your county council weights & measures department. This is a requirement if they charge you for the service. At least then there's a chance it's about right.

Chrisbee

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Just contact your local trading standards, as they will supply you with a list of public weighbridges.

They are also responsible for the testing and certification.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi David.

Any local farmers grain merchant will certainly have a weighbridge.

Failing that you could try contacting your local VOSA testing station (HGV lorry mot station) who if they don't have one, will be able to point you in the right direction.

Steve L.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
all the above are good ideas.

I took mine to our local recycling depot, its right by the landfil site, all councils must weigh in thier landfill.

I'd turn up in the car at your local langfill and ask the operator if they would mind if you brought the caravan along sometime.

they can only say No but might give you a lead to somewhere.

Gareth

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
If you are using "Scrapyard" weighbridges, be aware of the "Puncture" possibility from sharp bits of metal etc lying about. Very often you wont know youv'e picked up a piece until you have left the yard and travelled a couple of miles!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts