Where does your dog sleep?

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks, this probably sounds a mighty sill question but i have a german shepherd doggy and she is not a particularly large one but she finds the space rather restricting inside the caravan at night and i just wondered if it is acceptable for her to sleep in a large cage in the awning on a warm blanket and the cage covered to keep some heat in (autumn winter). What does everyone else do?

Also, do any of you leave your dog in the cage for a schort time in the awning whilst you pop to the supermarket? I'd just rather not leave her in the car instead outside the supermarket.

Thanks S

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
I am sure that as long as your dog is happy enough in his cage then he can sleep in the awning, but it does get cold in the winter, as for going shopping Hubby always stays with our dog in the car, as we would not leave a dog in a car for any reason, and as long as you are no more than an hour and your dog does not bark while you are away,I think you would be ok to leave it in the awning but NOT in the summer time, there are some sites that say dogs must not be left unattended at any time,perhaps he could stay in the van while you are shopping!!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sparkle

Not a silly question at all. Both my dogs are house dogs at home but they sleep in their own crates in the awning. We do use crate covers in the awning if its chilly at night. I'd have thought a shepherd would be well insulated to cope with temperatures in the awning during in the warmer months.

I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in the awning in summer, an awning can get mighty hot in the summer (if we ever have another good summer that is). Having said that, if there are no rules on site that state dogs can't be left unattended, I would have no qualms leaving my older dog in a crate for an hour or so during cooler weather as she never makes a sound.

On the extremely rare occasion I've had to leave a dog in the car, then I always remove their collar and lead if left on the lose. Dogs can and have been hung in the past. Also worth mentioning, a lot of dogs are stolen from cars. Having said that, I know for sure, if a thief tried to take my younger dog, it would defend its property (car) and any thief would be in a no win situation.

Just

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sparkle,

Our dogs sleep in the awning, they don't like being in the cage so we tie them to a screw in dog peg, they then have their baskets from home, we also find they settle quicker with their baskets because they are a familiar smell.

We left our dogs in the caravan once with the Heki and windows all on vent and the blinds closed, they ripped the blinds to see outside and jumped up on the furniture.

If it isn't to hot it should be fine to leave your dog in a cage in the awning.

Hope this helps

Ian

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks, thanks for your comments, i would never leave my lovely dog in the car during warm weather due to the risk of heat exhaustion, usually we take her to the shop and hubby stands outside with her but because it's cooler now (on cool days) and i'm only going for the groceries and only them then i would leave her for a short time with windows open.

Again i know how hot awnings and tents can get during the hot summer days - hard enough for us humans to suffer the heat let alone a miniture polar bear! But yeah i think she will be fine overnight in the awning in her cage and a thermal cage cover. She's got a big cage so she can turn around and stand up in it and she is used to it, loves it infact. She's a housedog at home though. Thanks again.

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi We have two labs and they sleep in the awaing on a double blow up matttress. If cold we also put up an annex and inner tent. We used to take dog beds but they got wet. Dogs love it lovely big bed and soft. We don't usually leave them alone and take them everywhere in the back of a 4 by 4.

Regards

Jackie

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jackie, my shepherd doesn't like the blow up air beds! when we camped we had a double one that she did everything she could to squeeze down the side of it and the tent wall so i can't one of them for her, but great idea. We've got a 4x4 and we usually take her everywhere with us, she loves going everywhere and raking around up hills, in water and amongst the trees with my 3 kids.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
our german shepherd loves going away in the caravan (in fact she comes everywhere with us!), we are lucky its just us and the dog in the van so we make the side dinette in our van out into a bed and cover with loads of dog blankets and throws to protect it and she lies/sleeps on there in the evening. During the day she's out with us or lying out in the awning. We never leave her alone as we tend to go to dog friendly/welcomming places only anyway.

We use that plastic matting/runners down through the van to help elminate with hairs/dirt and keep her well groomed as because you probably know a german shepherd moults 365 days a year!!

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello,

our dogs used to sleep on the floor where there is space, they like to be very near to us, and have been known to get under the covers with us, but this time we are taking 2 new editions to the dog clan, blue who is 1 and panda who is 3 months, both old english sheepdogs, (dulux), and the older labrador (meeko, who is 13.) is having a holiday at home with my son, and getting a bit of rest from the younger ones, we cant wait, weve just purchased a new caravan so they can fit, ED

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Just a thought about leaving your dog in the car - have you thought about getting a car crate? There's also a company that make attachments that can be fitted between the lock on the boot and the lock on the car meaning you can leave the lid open and still have a secure car. I think the company is called Ventlock.

That way you could leave your dog in the car and they will still have sufficient ventilation/ cool air.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
No self respecting whippet would dream of sleeping anywhere else but down the bed! However, we now have a puppy as well so I guess one of us will have to sleep on the floor in future.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
forgot to add, if we need to go to the supermarket one of us waits in the car with the dog whilst the other one shops!
We do exactly the same, Chelsea. My little mut goes everywhere with us and is never left alone in the car. Isn't it amazing how many reading books one can get through!!!

Ann

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We take a bed specifically for the caravan where Maisie sleeps peacefully most of the night. The only time we have a problem is when badgers or foxes are on site and within her 'space' (ie directly under the caravan or in the awning)!

Ann

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
We take a bed specifically for the caravan where Maisie sleeps peacefully most of the night. The only time we have a problem is when badgers or foxes are on site and within her 'space' (ie directly under the caravan or in the awning)!

Ann
Don't your caravans smell of dog

can be a problem when traing in. i.e. no pets no smoking

roger

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
We leave the door open and the dog chooses where to sleep. Sometimes in the caravan but more often in her bed in the awning. I know some people will question the safety of leaving the door open all night but it's as safe as a trailer tent, in fact more so with my dog guarding it.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Our pooch sleeps on the bit of the big double bed next to the center chest of draws, its not useful for anything elst at night & he likes it there. He's very clean and doesn't smell doggy. We have an older caravan so we aren't so worried about the no-smokers, no pets thing IF we ever sell it!

We don't worry too much about dirt on the carpet , we just change it when the hoover fails to leave it looking respectable!

We NEVER leave the dog in the caravan or awning, he always comes with us. IF we leave him in the car we make a point of parking in the shade and leaving the pop out windows open in the boot area and the front windows open an inch , we also leave him water and keep time away from him to a minimum. In hot weather we just don't leave him.

Very good point above re collars, i'll always remove his when in the car.

hope this helps, Gareth

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Our 'Madam' sleeps in her own bed which is placed between our bed. She loves it and can keep an eye and ear open for any marauding nigt life (whether animal or human)!

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Our 'Madam' sleeps in her own bed which is placed between our bed. She loves it and can keep an eye and ear open for any marauding nigt life (whether animal or human)!
We have five dogs and we tend to lock the awning and leave the caravan door open so they can choose where they want to sleep. susie our greyhound likes to sleep on the bed as does harvey our labrador for a while. then they just wander round and find a dog bed in the awning.

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
We have five dogs and we tend to lock the awning and leave the caravan door open so they can choose where they want to sleep. susie our greyhound likes to sleep on the bed as does harvey our labrador for a while. then they just wander round and find a dog bed in the awning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts