Where to spend the money - Good wheel clamp and cheapo hitchlock or vice versa?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Since I'm starting this caravaning thingy again after a few years break and all I have left from the past is a couple of levelling blocks, the cost of re-equiping is mounting up.

Hence the question - Good wheel clamp and cheapo hitchlock or vice versa?

Of course the obvious answer is get good i.e expensive versions of both but just pretend you have to make this choice. My thought is put most of the money in the Wheel Clamp.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since I'm starting this caravaning thingy again after a few years break and all I have left from the past is a couple of levelling blocks, the cost of re-equiping is mounting up.

Of course the obvious answer is get good i.e expensive versions of both but just pretend you have to make this choice. My thought is put most of the money in the Wheel Clamp.
Wheel clamp. You can get some good used kit from Caravan and Motorhome Club classifieds. Or EBay Gumtree etc. .

Alko is probably the best wheel clamp but can be a faff to fit as the alignment of the wheel and receiver have to be within a millimetre or two. A good second best would be the Milenco Wraith or Purpleline Nemesis.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You should check your insurance in case they stipulate any required security standard. The Milenco Ace is non Sold Secure. For a few pounds more why not go for the Sold Secure Milenco Wraith.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't assume the most expensive is best. You do need to make sure that the devices you choose are acceptable with your insurer. There's no point spending out if your insurer won't accept it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't assume the most expensive is best. You do need to make sure that the devices you choose are acceptable with your insurer. There's no point spending out if your insurer won't accept it.
Prof
I find it hard to conceive that an insurer would not accept a Sold Secure Gold or Thatcham Category 3 in preference for a non certified unit. Or have I misunderstood your post.
My insurer just specifies wheel clamp and hitchlock but no other criteria. But that wouldn’t stop me fitting a better type of unit that has been offered for independent testing by a recognised body. It might be the difference between the thieve stealing my van, or moving on to another one.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Milenco Ace Wheel Clamp are insurance Approved
Also come with a 5 Year lock Warranty included
Also it depends what his budget is

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Prof
I find it hard to conceive that an insurer would not accept a Sold Secure Gold or Thatcham Category 3 in preference for a non certified unit. Or have I misunderstood your post.
My insurer just specifies wheel clamp and hitchlock but no other criteria. But that wouldn’t stop me fitting a better type of unit that has been offered for independent testing by a recognised body. It might be the difference between the thieve stealing my van, or moving on to another one.
In these days where insurers tie you up with T&C's, if they can find a way to decline their liability in the event of a claim, they will.

You are assuming the products you have mentioned will be accepted by your insurer, but the only way you can be certain is to check with them. They probably will be OK, but until you check you don't know. And just because it may be accepted by one insurer does not mean its acceptable to another, they are independent companies, and have their own T&C's (except where legislation dictates).

Just because an" independent" body has given its approval does not necessarily mean your particular insurer will accept it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In these days where insurers tie you up with T&C's, if they can find a way to decline their liability in the event of a claim, they will.

You are assuming the products you have mentioned will be accepted by your insurer, but the only way you can be certain is to check with them. They probably will be OK, but until you check you don't know. And just because it may be accepted by one insurer does not mean its acceptable to another, they are independent companies, and have their own T&C's (except where legislation dictates).

Just because an" independent" body has given its approval does not necessarily mean your particular insurer will accept it.

In my second post to the OP I did say that he should check with the insurer. Nowhere did I say that because an independent body has tested it that it would be okay with an insurer. I said that my insurer does not specify a particular make just a wheel lock, and hitch lock. I followed that with a personal view that I would go fir something certified by an independent and recognised testing body as that could be the difference between theft or no theft.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Milenco Ace Wheel Clamp are insurance Approved
Also come with a 5 Year lock Warranty included
Also it depends what his budget is
As I’ve already said just because a manufacturer says it’s “ insurance approved” doesn’t say which insurers does it? It’s still beholden on the user to check the T&C of the policy. The Ace is around £20 cheaper than the Sold Secure Wraith. Milenco also give the five year lock warranty on both, why wouldn’t they? It beggars the question of why would a manufacture make ostensibly two very similar products in a competing price range? One independently tested and approved, the other not so. I have my own views.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

If you have not bought your caravan yet, why not wait until you have seen one to order? Many caravans come with receivers for the ALKO Secure lock which is easy to fit. The ALKO Premium hitchlock is the best one on the market as it is very secure and not easily removed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have not bought your caravan yet, why not wait until you have seen one to order? Many caravans come with receivers for the ALKO Secure lock which is easy to fit. The ALKO Premium hitchlock is the best one on the market as it is very secure and not easily removed.

The Alko lock has to be precisely(1-2mm at most) lined up to enable its bolt to screw into the receiver. It is easy to fit providing you have a mover and on level ground, or dont have to use ramps. If either of the wheels have to be ramped up to level the caravan then getting the Alko wheel lock aligned is not easy, if at all. Of course the caravan can always be jacked up, or the owner can buy a levelling device either pneumatic, or mechanical.

I use mine in storage or when at home and a lighter Milenco for when touring. My insurer doesn't specify anything other than wheel lock and hitchlock to be fitted. which gives me flexibility. I carry the Alko in case the caravan has to be left on the roadside/services for any reason.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i to have my prefer choices as well in 31years of owning a caravan and what i can afford i always get a wheel clamp what had brilliant reviews and if they come with a warranty that brilliant . and insurance approved . if i go for a Milenco Wheel clamp wraith might have to be second hand like i brought a Bulldog Hitchlock for £20. it was like new .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Alko lock has to be precisely(1-2mm at most) lined up to enable its bolt to screw into the receiver. It is easy to fit providing you have a mover and on level ground, or dont has etc use ramps. If either of the wheels have to be ramped up to level the caravan then getting the Alko wheel lock aligned is not easy, if at all. Of course the caravan can always be jacked up, or the owner can buy a levelling device either pneumatic, or mechanical.

I use mine in storage or when at home and a lighter Milenco for when touring. My insurer doesn't specify anything other than wheel lock and hitchlock to be fitted. which gives me flexibility. I carry the Alko in case the caravan has to be left on the roadside/services for any reason.
It's the need for a mover that's important - not the level ground - I use a ramp as normal to get the caravan level and then move it slightly up or down the ramp to align the spokes with the receiver, the difference in cross-level caused by that movement is inconsequential.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. My insurer - Saga - does not specify any particular type of security device, just as long as I have one fitted when the van is unattended and not hooked up to the car.

I'm thinking of the Nemeis Ultra clamp and hitch lock is still tbd.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The better security is given by the wheel clamp. None that you would use on a touring caravan are infallible but the better ones will put off casual thieves and if a poorer one is fitted to another caravan nearby, even professional thieves will go for the easy option.
Hitchlocks are virtually worthless although many insurers still require them. They can be overcome easily by simply bypassing them ant towing a caravan away with a length of strong chain or rope leaving the thief to deal with the lock later. They are a good idea when the caravan is left attached to a car at stops but that is about it
For stops I would have thought that a Nemisis Ultra or Milenco Wraith is just as good though, and far more obvious.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The better security is given by the wheel clamp. None that you would use on a touring caravan are infallible but the better ones will put off casual thieves and if a poorer one is fitted to another caravan nearby, even professional thieves will go for the easy option.
Hitchlocks are virtually worthless although many insurers still require them. They can be overcome easily by simply bypassing them ant towing a caravan away with a length of strong chain or rope leaving the thief to deal with the lock later. They are a good idea when the caravan is left attached to a car at stops but that is about it
For stops I would have thought that a Nemisis Ultra or Milenco Wraith is just as good though, and far more obvious.
I'd agree with your views. on security and devises. We never leave the van unattended when en route.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The best deterrent is still a Proactive tracker if the caravan is of high value i.e. £10k+ however many people will disagree about this stating that they do not want the caravan back. A proactive tracker will notify you when any one interferes with the caravan and hopefully they can be stopped in their tracks before they have even gone anywhere. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I new i had a spare SAS Wheelclamp just been to check it and it says
SAS Supaclamp Gold Sold Secure insurance approved checked up with Caravan Guard insurance so after next break this will be on .the caravan for extra security

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
Wheel clamp every time. All tow hitches can be by passed to allow the caravan to be stolen and the hitch lock removed at a later date.

Tow hitches only work if there is some form of attatchment to the ground underneath it. Just encasing the tow ball has no affect on the thief.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wheel clamp every time. All tow hitches can be by passed to allow the caravan to be stolen and the hitch lock removed at a later date.

Tow hitches only work if there is some form of attatchment to the ground underneath it. Just encasing the tow ball has no affect on the thief.
Actually it is probably just as easy to bypass a wheel lock than some hitch locks if is a determined thief.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The tracker is not a deterrent as the thieves would or should not be aware of it. The idea is that the thieves activate it and the police then arrest them. It is remarkably effective but not 100%. The advantage is that if it is going to be recovered it will normally be very quickly which would prevent any problems with the thieves having used it.

Reactions: Galgo slave
Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi we use the Alko wheel lock but are changing to the Wraith for our new van. Reason the Alko “lozenge” to fir the new van is £30 more expensive than the full Wraith kit! The Alko is good but a pain in the rear to fit in awkward and undeveloped places even with a m/ mover. Shall get a spare lock wheel bolt so we can use both sides. We use an Alko Hitchcock too, easy to fit and light to carry, at home we have a security post also.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts