where will it take me and a a good site when there

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lee

I estimate you would be at Poitiers in about 300 miles. Not too sure what caravan sites are in the area, but someone will come up with some suggestion.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
If it's from Dover you'll just hit the top of Loire.

If it's from Le Harve/Caen it might be Poitiers.

Where are you sailing from?

Apr 5, 2008
Visit site
If it's from Dover you'll just hit the top of Loire.

If it's from Le Harve/Caen it might be Poitiers.

Where are you sailing from?
dover because of price of ferry to cherbourg just thought in sted of driving to normandy would see where i could get to thanks

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If its the Loire then there are good municipals at Anger, Samur, Chinon and Tours. Chinon is particularly attractive. If you are travelling a little more inland the municipal at Bourges is highly recommended and it is a very pleasant city to boot.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Lee - if you've got a child, then it's probably important to you that there are other children around for him to make friends with. Check out the Eurocamp and Canvas Holidays websites (www.eurocamp.co.uk and www.canvasholidays.co.uk). Both these companies offer self-drive holidays with mobile homes, but the sort of sites they offer have lots of other children around. There are several in and around the Loire area - which is within your 300 miles.

However, if you want beaches then 300 miles will take you to Normandy/Brittany border - there are some lovely sites there, too. Le Cormoran on the Cotentin peninsula gets good reviews from families with children, and is near the Normandy landing beaches which may interest you. Le Grand Large, also on the Cotentin peninsula has direct beach access.

But, reading your post again, are you just wanting an overnight site about 300 miles from Calais, on your way further south? If so, I'm sure lots of people could recommend overnight sites - especially if you let us know where your 'end' destination is.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Lee,

As Val has said, as you have a nine year old you may not want to stop at Municipal sites but ensure that you have good facilities. My Children are 10 and 5 and they love L'Etang de la Breche just down from Saumur. Very easy to get to. This is a Les Castels site - you can book direct or via Eurocamp Independent - you may get some good deals. This is a very well run site with good facilities for the children also. They take touring cheques in low season which can save you money. They have a good shop, restaurant (which does a good hot buffet selection for children in high season but a standard menu in low), bar, take away, pony riding etc. It also has good sized and level pitches. The owners run a very tight ship with no bad behaviour allowed. On the opposite site of Tours just up from Blois is Chateau Grenouliere by Chambord - another Castels site - very good but my preference is the one by Saumur.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Loire area would be a good stop point if you were going anywhere from the Vendee area down to Gironde & Gascony. This takes in sites from say Jean de Monts; Royan; Biarritz. A site we have stayed at several times has be Camping Chantepie near Saumur. It is set high above the Loire River and has outstanding views over the river, especially if you are lucky enough to get a pitch which overlooks the river. You can book direct or go through Select Sites (Eurocamp Independent)It is about 5 miles from Saumur and the main road you would travel SW on. Good facilities, medium size site, good pitch sizes small bar and resturant/takeaway plus swimming pool. Even when busy the site is not a "zoo"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Loire area would be a good stop point if you were going anywhere from the Vendee area down to Gironde & Gascony. This takes in sites from say Jean de Monts; Royan; Biarritz. A site we have stayed at several times has be Camping Chantepie near Saumur. It is set high above the Loire River and has outstanding views over the river, especially if you are lucky enough to get a pitch which overlooks the river. You can book direct or go through Select Sites (Eurocamp Independent)It is about 5 miles from Saumur and the main road you would travel SW on. Good facilities, medium size site, good pitch sizes small bar and resturant/takeaway plus swimming pool. Even when busy the site is not a "zoo"
I should of added Saumur and the surrounding area is nice to visit, with good wine in the area. We have always tried to have 2 nights to allow us to look around.

Apr 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks everyone been to camping le grand for two years thinking of going back for third time but cost of ferry to cherbourg making me think again if driving 300 miles from calais just wondered why i would end up and if it would be worth it thanks again

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Lee - have you seen the offer on the Camping Cheques website (www.campingcheque.co.uk) for Condor Ferries to Cherbourg - caravans go free. Details are as follows:

Travel on the Condor Ferries Clipper service from Portsmouth to Cherbourg from just

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts