Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Currently towing with a 2013 Nissan xTrail and getting ready for a change but not sure what to go for next. I can’t imagine that the performance of the newer model 1.6 ltr xTrail will be comparable with my 2 ltr (unless someone tells me different). Also my xTrail has 603 litres of boot space with the rear seats in place so would like something with the same or very close to the same amount of space .
So looking forward to all your recommendations.
Thanks in advance👍🏻

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Currently towing with a 2013 Nissan xTrail and getting ready for a change but not sure what to go for next. I can’t imagine that the performance of the newer model 1.6 ltr xTrail will be comparable with my 2 ltr (unless someone tells me different). Also my xTrail has 603 litres of boot space with the rear seats in place so would like something with the same or very close to the same amount of space .
So looking forward to all your recommendations.
Thanks in advance👍🏻
Not sure why you feel the newer X trail should be inferior to your 2 litre it’s really necessary to check its torque, power and towing specification. Smaller engines have come on leaps and bounds. However Sorento and Santa Fe feature highly amongst members of the Forum. They have good warranty periods but few seem to have to use the warranty anyway.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I very much like the XTrail. I had a 2005 4 cars ago and loved it. But have always found them over priced since.

Although engines have certainly improved and the bhp they can do now is impressive. Like you, I wonder if they are overstressed.

John

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
Not sure why you feel the newer X trail should be inferior to your 2 litre it’s really necessary to check its torque, power and towing specification. Smaller engines have come on leaps and bounds. However Sorento and Santa Fe feature highly amongst members of the Forum. They have good warranty periods but few seem to have to use the warranty anyway.
Well I suppose I should have said that the 1.6 is well down on both Torque and BHP , thought if I asked rather than told it might prompt more of a discussion .
Thanks for suggestion Re Hyundai and Kia .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
+1 for the Kia .
Cheaper then a LR, Merc or Volvo with a high level of spec and faultless towing ability.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'd go Kia, hyundai too for the above reasons but you need to give us a budget. The x trail doesn't appear to be the work horse it once was and depreciation is high. We looked and bought a Navara!

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We had a 2005 x-trail and it was the best car we ever had, a real workhorse. It's still on the road today and I really miss it. In 7 years of ownership (it was 3 years old when we bought it) it cost two sets of tyres , a coil spring and a front suspension arm.
Following the x-trail we had a Freelander 2, big mistake, it just needed something repairing every month and cost a small fortune to keep on the road, transfer box, alternator,rear diff, another transfer box, clutch, dual mass flywheel.......................
Swapped that for a 2015 VW Tiguan 4Motion. It was a lovely car with a lot of kit but we changed our caravan to a twin axle and it wasn't really up to the job, never felt unsafe but we were at the limits and the clutch let us know. Would still be driving it if we had'nt changed the 'van
Traded that last year for a 2014 Kia Santa Fe, 7 seat Premium SE auto, even better kitted out than the Tiguan. Tows so well and I love the auto box, makes towing so much more stress free, especially on the M5 in August.

Happy with the Santa Fe, but it is thirsty compared with the Tiguan. If we still had the smaller caravan we would have kept the Tiguan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am a big supporter of the SantaFe and the KIa Sorento,
I ave the 5 seat SF. 75 k miles now, as the space under the boot cover is enormous and can store so much equipment. Unfortunatley the rear seats do not fold totally flat. The front wheel drive with a lockable rear axle is great. Around town 25 mpg. Towing 25 to 30 mpg, with a 1645 kg caravan. On a run 40 mpg at 70 mph. Combined mpg showing around 36 after 1500 miles.
Good luck finding a replacment for yourself.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A Sorento or Santa Fe would future proof you for any heavier caravan without having to bear the cost of a car change. Don’t rule out large estates either. I had a Superb 170 ps 4WD which had an enormous load area without compromising two 6 ft 4 people sitting front and back. There’s the Passat equivalent too.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Of the mid-market models, the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento siblings are the benchmark - depends then what your exact priorities are and how much you want/need to reduce overall costs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Kia’s and Hyundai’s are amazing value for money. They are built for rugged terrain and abuse! Kia 7 years warranty says it all. Both their auto boxes are conventional torque converters not DSG. Food for thought when towing and reversing. The level of kit they offer is unbelievable!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The Kia’s and Hyundai’s are amazing value for money. They are built for rugged terrain and abuse! Kia 7 years warranty says it all. Both their auto boxes are conventional torque converters not DSG. Food for thought when towing and reversing. The level of kit they offer is unbelievable!
Hope you are right DD, off tomorrow to Lydney to hopefully bring back a Kia Sorento 2014, driving up in the Shogun and hopefully returning with the Kia,, will keep you posted, oh and two weeks time we get the new caravan, all happening this year..yippee (y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we were looking around for a replacement 4x4 the conventional torque converter box was one of the criteria. Unfortunately the Kia is too light for our caravan otherwise it may have been a choice. My son in Africa had the hyundai equivalent and it went on roads that weren't roads. Just about every journey involved a trip of at least 500 miles.
Eventually although it was still going strong, he traded it in for a newer Land Cruiser. Whoever got the Hyundai, although high mileage, got as bargain and a reliable vehicle.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When we were looking around for a replacement 4x4 the conventional torque converter box was one of the criteria. Unfortunately the Kia is too light for our caravan otherwise it may have been a choice. My son in Africa had the hyundai equivalent and it went on roads that weren't roads. Just about every journey involved a trip of at least 500 miles.
Eventually although it was still going strong, he traded it in for a newer Land Cruiser. Whoever got the Hyundai, although high mileage, got as bargain and a reliable vehicle.
Someone near us has just changed a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2016 Sorento. Nice looking car. Don’t know what van they tow as I haven’t seen one at the house, so I suspect they do what friends of ours do and load/ unload the caravan at storage.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope you are right DD, off tomorrow to Lydney to hopefully bring back a Kia Sorento 2014, driving up in the Shogun and hopefully returning with the Kia,, will keep you posted, oh and two weeks time we get the new caravan, all happening this year..yippee (y)
Hi Kev enjoy your new caravan and car (y)

Reactions: Gagakev
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Sorento Mk 1 was 2199kg, the Mk2 2099kg the Jeep,Grand Cherokee 2098kg.

Both Sorentos have towed my TA in complete safety. I guess the Land Cruiser at over 2665kg is even better but it must be a fuel guzzler😜😜

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Sorento Mk 1 was 2199kg, the Mk2 2099kg the Jeep,Grand Cherokee 2098kg.

Both Sorentos have towed my TA in complete safety. I guess the Land Cruiser at over 2665kg is even better but it must be a fuel guzzler😜😜
Our 2012 Jeep the kerb weight is 2272kg and maximum weight 2949kg. Caravan MTPLM is 2000kg with 150kg nose weight. Maximum tow bar load for Jeep is 175kg.

When you are paying about £1 for a litre of unleaded, fuel is cheap in comparison to the UK. I think the engine is the 4.2l in his Land Cruiser.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Parksy, looking forward to moving up into a bit of luxury, love the Shogun so Kia have a lot to live up to. ;)
Well being a country bumpkin down here in Devon and use to the basic things in life the Shogun did me proud,
BUT------------------------
Got in the Kia and Wow!! no comparison it's a life of luxury and comfort,
I said goodbye to the Shogun and bought the Kia.
So many knobs and button's will spend tomorrow getting to know what they do. look forward to pulling the caravan with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts