Which 4x4

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev
We made the same move a while ago, our old Shogun is in Devon and still taxed and MOT'd so presume still serving somebody well. Has your Kia arrived with a ready fitted towbar ?

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev
We made the same move a while ago, our old Shogun is in Devon and still taxed and MOT'd so presume still serving somebody well. Has your Kia arrived with a ready fitted towbar ?
Hi Woodiesboy just posted a question in technical ref the electrics as it has the towbar but 7 pin socket.
My shogun now up in Gloucester.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well being a country bumpkin down here in Devon and use to the basic things in life the Shogun did me proud,
BUT------------------------
Got in the Kia and Wow!! no comparison it's a life of luxury and comfort,
I said goodbye to the Shogun and bought the Kia.
So many knobs and button's will spend tomorrow getting to know what they do. look forward to pulling the caravan with it.

We had a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we traded in for a 2013 Shogun and within a month we realised we had made a mistake. It was very reliable but very heavy on fuel when towing and we were lucky to see 17mpg. In comparison the 2005 Jeep was light years ahead.
After three months ownership we bit the bullet and traded it in for a 2012 Jeep with air suspension and modern gizmets etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we traded in for a 2013 Shogun and within a month we realised we had made a mistake. It was very reliable but very heavy on fuel when towing and we were lucky to see 17mpg. In comparison the 2005 Jeep was light years ahead.
After three months ownership we bit the bullet and traded it in for a 2012 Jeep with air suspension and modern gizmets etc.
I would look for a longer period of three months to rate reliability. 😁 My generation 1 Kia Sorento had no problems in six years of ownership and 70+k miles, and it went off roading too.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
The Kia’s and Hyundai’s are amazing value for money. They are built for rugged terrain and abuse! Kia 7 years warranty says it all. Both their auto boxes are conventional torque converters not DSG. Food for thought when towing and reversing. The level of kit they offer is unbelievable!
Except for the 2021 models which have gone to DSG which I would be wary of for traffic crawling and maneuvering

Reactions: Bluetonic
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a DSG, been towing 1700kg with my Tiguan for 3 years.
Some DSG boxes are not as reliable, mainly the dry ones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The oil lubricated DSG used by VAG were fitted to higher torque engines. They were far better than the earlier ones fitted to petrol cars. I had a Superb 170ps DSG and it drove very well although knowing that the gearbox is an automated manual gearbox using clutches I drove it accordingly to minimise possible clutch wear. Kia have been using dual clutch gearboxes for a while and without knowing the design of the type fittted to the Sorento it rash to imply potential problems. VAG have moved towards having the clutch pack and gears lubricated by seperate systems, how do you know KIA haven’t done the same.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The original Sories were fluid flywheels torque convertors , 5 speed. Grew up to 6 speed. Latest models are wet DSG 8 speed.
wet DSGs are excellent even towing. The original DSG in the Ford Power shifts were dry and had a lot of problems.
My VW is still made with a torque converter. Once on the move it fully locks up like a dry clutch helping with mpg.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The original Sories were fluid flywheels torque convertors , 5 speed. Grew up to 6 speed. Latest models are wet DSG 8 speed.
wet DSGs are excellent even towing. The original DSG in the Ford Power shifts were dry and had a lot of problems.
My VW is still made with a torque converter. Once on the move it fully locks up like a dry clutch helping with mpg.

DSG is specific to VAG vehicles, similar gearboxes are more correctly referenced to as dual clutch transmission, or twin clutch transmission, unless having a proprietary name such as Ford’s Powershift. I thought that the original concept was developed by Porsche as it gave better Economy and quicker shifts for sports car racing. But in fact it appeared in the early 1960 s in the Hillman Minx.

Our daughter recently disposed of her 2014 Focus 1.6 Poweshift which had had a full replacement gearbox under warranty, and her warranty extended by Ford. But unlike the US where class action led to all warranties being extended, such a thing did not happen in Britain. The replacement gearbox again gave problems and was subject to a major rebuild repair again under the extended Ford warranty. However, she distrusted it intensely and would never take it on a motorway. She’s now recently disposed of it and has a Toyota Corolla self charging hybrid with a cvt automatic gearbox.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our daughter recently disposed of her 2014 Focus 1.6 Poweshift which had had a full replacement gearbox under warranty, and her warranty extended by Ford. But unlike the US where class action led to all warranties being extended, such a thing did not happen in Britain. The replacement gearbox again gave problems and was subject to a major rebuild repair again under the extended Ford warranty. However, she distrusted it intensely and would never take it on a motorway. She’s now recently disposed of it and has a Toyota Corolla self charging hybrid with a cvt automatic gearbox.
We had major issues with the Powershift box in our 2011 Mondeo and eventually we got a full refund even though we had the vehicle a couple of months and it had a tow bar fitted. At times it would not know which gear to select and you ended up coasting into a roundabout.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
The oil lubricated DSG used by VAG were fitted to higher torque engines. They were far better than the earlier ones fitted to petrol cars. I had a Superb 170ps DSG and it drove very well although knowing that the gearbox is an automated manual gearbox using clutches I drove it accordingly to minimise possible clutch wear. Kia have been using dual clutch gearboxes for a while and without knowing the design of the type fittted to the Sorento it rash to imply potential problems. VAG have moved towards having the clutch pack and gears lubricated by seperate systems, how do you know KIA haven’t done the same.
Maybe you are right and I am too suspicious of developing technology. I also had a 125 KW Superb, very nice car, but what I didn’t like about the DSG was 3 expensive 60,000 km services in 180,000 km, poor accelerator feel in traffic crawl and manoeuvring trailer, and transmission tunnel got progressively hotter on a long trip (partly exhaust related). By comparison my 2 heavy vehicles with torque converters had none of these problems, instant throttle response, good tranny oil cooler, didn’t need oil changes in my usage as shown by condition of oil. For now I’ll stick to the 70 year proven technology, and use a wee bit more fuel. Also VAG still fit plenty of torque converters in some Audis and VWs, so they have their reason.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Also VAG still fit plenty of torque converters in some Audis and VWs, so they have their reason.

You'll have to work really hard to find current VW/Audis with torque-converter automatics, - I think now you need to go up the 4.0 litres to avoid the ubiquitous DSG.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My Volkswagen Tiguan TDI 190bhp 4motion DSG from day one been great towing my caravan it good on juice . i would say this has great acceleration .nothing was to much trouble i am a very happy bunny

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Maybe you are right and I am too suspicious of developing technology. I also had a 125 KW Superb, very nice car, but what I didn’t like about the DSG was 3 expensive 60,000 km services in 180,000 km, poor accelerator feel in traffic crawl and manoeuvring trailer, and transmission tunnel got progressively hotter on a long trip (partly exhaust related). By comparison my 2 heavy vehicles with torque converters had none of these problems, instant throttle response, good tranny oil cooler, didn’t need oil changes in my usage as shown by condition of oil. For now I’ll stick to the 70 year proven technology, and use a wee bit more fuel. Also VAG still fit plenty of torque converters in some Audis and VWs, so they have their reason.
Dsg oil changes for the Tiguan are every 40k miles, every 3 years for the 4 motion.

The engines are rated in PS not Bhp, for those who think differently.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dsg oil changes for the Tiguan are every 40k miles, every 3 years for the 4 motion.

There are conversion factors for converting ps-bhp-kw. For those who have an interest conversion of ps to bhp is below. But I can live with an error of around 1% in the figure when discussing the engines output.

“The formula to convert ps to bhp is 1 Pferdestarke = 0.986320070619531Brake Horsepower (bhp). ps is 1.01389029706986 times Smaller than bhp.”

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Engines are rated in kw for regulatory purposes, as required by EU/UK Type Approval - this is converted locally to PS on sales brochures.

A bhp is about 1.4% more than a PS

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
You'll have to work really hard to find current VW/Audis with torque-converter automatics, - I think now you need to go up the 4.0 litres to avoid the ubiquitous DSG.
I was looking at A5 2.0 TDI which in 2017 changed from S Tronic DSG to Tiptronic 8speed torque converter. Not the only model with this 8sp TC

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously from a purely metrology or scientific perspective the difference between PS and BHP is important and no normal driver would be able to tell the difference between a a car with 100bhp or one with 100PS. There are many other variables that will swamp any difference that might technically exist.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Lucky boy Kev! You will not be disappointed. My son has one and will be towing the Wyoming this season. Enjoy it 👏👏👏👏
First tow today with the Kia Sorento, bit apprehensive to start with,
No need to have worried though, performed with ease, loved the cruise control especially through the road works speed limits.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
First tow today with the Kia Sorento, bit apprehensive to start with,
No need to have worried though, performed with ease, loved the cruise control especially through the road works speed limits.
Thats great, are you putting Her/Him/Gender Neutral, on the season pitch again but ready to tour. ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts