Which 5 Berth Caravan?

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi we are thinking of buying a new caravan. We like the family 5 berth layout of the front & rear double beds with the washroom & kitchen in the middle. We have narrowed it down to two vans. Either the Swift Charisma 540 or the Lunar Quasar 525. Can anyone who owns one of these vans give me there thoughts/likes/dislikes etc. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I can't comment on the 2 models you mention, although we really liked the Quasar 525 when we were looking for our first van.

We found a used 5 berth Amara in our budget and we've been very pleased with it so far, it's slightly smaller than the Quasar.

The layout works well for a family of four and would be quite flexible for a couple. The front beds can be used as singles for the lads while we have the back as a double. In warmer weather we leave the rear bed made up as we're not in the van so much, but we have the option to use it as extra seating if needed. It can get a bit congested around the kitchen/washroom area if we're all moving around at once, but I would think any family van would be the same. Lunar used to have the biggest beds when we were looking and were generally lighter, not sure if that's still the case. Enjoy choosing !

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't like to comment on either of the vans you mention but if weight isn't an issue then don't dismiss the coachman amara, just traded in my 560/6 for a 640/6 and all other manufacturers would have to go a long way to convince me to change brand, Nothing else in 2010 ranges I would of considered following a good poke and a prod around. You may however struggle to get a new one this late in the season, second hand can be a little hard to source as well, but worth it in my opinion.

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't like to comment on either of the vans you mention but if weight isn't an issue then don't dismiss the coachman amara, just traded in my 560/6 for a 640/6 and all other manufacturers would have to go a long way to convince me to change brand, Nothing else in 2010 ranges I would of considered following a good poke and a prod around. You may however struggle to get a new one this late in the season, second hand can be a little hard to source as well, but worth it in my opinion.
For value for money theres nothing to beat the ADRIA.

As a trader and a caravanner for 20 years I no longer deal with British caravans most of them even 5 years old are full of damp.

The best caravans are made by Hymer, Geist Dethleffs and Knaus. Damp ingress is a big issue on all british caravans and one that is almost completely ignored by the Caravanning press. They seem to concentrate on mr and mrs average and what shaped dinette and upholstery combination they prefer the Lunar of the Bailey, I actually find it rather laughable !.

We really should move away from the outdated nicey nicey british is best attitude and embrace the world stage like we have done with cars in the last 30 years.

Come on practical caravan can we have some journalism a little more hard hitting ? Perhaps something thats 5 years old with damp tests ? And a few more continental tests ??

If you picked up the top gear magazine and it only tested fords and everyone was "nice" would you still buy the magazine ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts