Which caravan is the ideal starter?

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi, i hope you guys can advise me on which van would be good to start with. There's myself, husband and 3 kids (and possibly Jess, the dog) to house!! We don't mind getting an awning, so would it be worth getting a 5 berth or stick to a 4 berth? Also, we have a BMW 320d, does anyone tow with one of these and does it cope?! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi there,

We to are thinking of buying a new van and are interested in the Bailey Discovery, its cheap and light so your BMW will have no probs towing.

The van has had some good reviews and there are various layouts to choose from. Starting price is about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sally, there is so much choice and it depends on your budget as well. Having bought caravans to cater for my family and, more recently, just my wife and myself I found the best way to choose is to have a good look around at the different layouts. Could you hire one first that you might think will suit your needs? It can be a costly mistake to just buy the first one that seems to fit your bill. Have fun looking anyway, good luck.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
With 5 people to accommodate, and a dog, ignore a 4 berth. I would suggest at least consider a 5 berth (and possibly even 6). If you are intending to caravan in this country the weather can be inclement and the more space you have inside the unit (not including an awning)the better. Look at the bathroom facilities and make sure they are suitable. Also look at the storage areas this is also important. Childrens gear takes up an enormous amount of room so this should be a consideration.

Sorry I cannot advise you on your car.

However, I hope you have many years of happy caravannning ahead of you.

Jul 30, 2005
Visit site
Thank you guys for your advice and help. Just to let you know we have been and bought an Adria Adiva with end bathroom. These vans are by far the best we've looked at (and we've looked at loads!). So, fingers crossed for us! :)

TRENDING THREADS