Which caravan to purchase

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a used 2 berth caravan, cost about 10k, I have a vw t-cross with a max towing of 1080kg Which type and model caravan should I look at and which should I avoid What should I look outt for when viewing Many thanks in advance Dave

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am looking to purchase a used 2 berth caravan, cost about 10k, I have a vw t-cross with a max towing of 1080kg Which type and model caravan should I look at and which should I avoid What should I look outt for when viewing Many thanks in advance Dave
Looking at the 1.6 T Cross specs it seem that they can tow up to 1100kg? Your main issue when viewing any caravan is damp. If a first time buyer, it is probably better to buy from a respectable dealers as you then get a warranty plus you have consumer protection with CRA 2015. Buying private may save you a £1000 or so. but if you find issues later on after purchase you are on your own.

Reactions: JohnW250
Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Buckman, many thanks for your reply, the t-cross that I have is a 1L 114bhp, so I think it would be better to get a caravan below 1000kg
What are your thoughts
Dave

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The specs that I read for the vehicle does not show any towing weight so may not be able to tow anything? Further reading shows that the 1L can only tow up to 1100kg, but I think it will really struggle on hills.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a Trigano 420 DD with a MTPLM if 1000 kg and there are smaller variants and Walkers make bespoke awnings for them. There are also Eriba that are within MTPLM with decent payloads too. But for Trigano and Eriba they are not cheap even for those a few years old.

WP_20160916_12_33_50_Pro.jpeg

WP_20161017_08_57_10_Pro.jpeg

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The Caravan finder website gives you a good idea of the sorts of vans out there. You can search by MPTLM. Good luck
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Caravan Finder .
Highbridge Caravans
2014 Lunar Ariva 2 berth caravan
Miro 857kg
MTPLM 970KG
This might suit your car

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don’t know your budget but some of the newer ones can be plated for a MTPLM to suit the car. This is because they generally have high payload capability cf their size.

As per the OP their budget is about £10k.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At least i suggested a caravan that might be suitable for his car and it comes with a 12 month warranty
According to the Highbridge website it is not yet in stock as it has not arrived tat their location yet? Strange that they are advertising it already on Caravanfinder?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
According to the Highbridge website it is not yet in stock as it has not arrived tat their location yet? Strange that they are advertising it already on Caravanfinder?
I just check on there website there is one arriving very soon ,at there Somerset branch

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I bought our last car I rang up Edwards of Worcester to ask if we could go over and see it, as I had seen the advert in Autotrader. The sales agent was a bit non plussed as she didn’t recognise the car I was talking about. After a short while she rang me back to tell me the advert had been placed by Kia central as the car was in their facility being prepared and it was one the Edwards had ordered for delivery to the showroom. So I put a holding deposit on it and two weeks later it was available to see and we paid the balance and away we went. Strange old world 🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Light and quite wide year range to choose from.

Or it's 4 berth sister 304 <1100
kg depending on year.
Although we have an Elddis product the 304, according to one or two other caravan forums, seems to have more than its fair share of issues so one needs to be very careful.

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks for everyone's replies, I have been looking at the lunar Venus and Ariva, both below 1000kg, the caravan will be used by myself for 90% of the time so will be big enough, I will be using it all year round so don't want any of the ones with pop up roofs, what are people's thoughts or other brand suggestions
Dave

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for everyone's replies, I have been looking at the lunar Venus and Ariva, both below 1000kg, the caravan will be used by myself for 90% of the time so will be big enough, I will be using it all year round so don't want any of the ones with pop up roofs, what are people's thoughts or other brand suggestions
Dave
At 6ft 4inches I had no problem in the Trigano pop top. Both Trigano and Eriba are higher qualty products than vans made by the normal British makers. A small Adria is worth looking at as Adria seem to be rated favourably for quality.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When I bought our last car I rang up Edwards of Worcester to ask if we could go over and see it, as I had seen the advert in Autotrader. The sales agent was a bit non plussed as she didn’t recognise the car I was talking about. After a short while she rang me back to tell me the advert had been placed by Kia central as the car was in their facility being prepared and it was one the Edwards had ordered for delivery to the showroom. So I put a holding deposit on it and two weeks later it was available to see and we paid the balance and away we went. Strange old world 🤔
Many cars that become "approved cars" are bought at closed auctions, unseen, via a trusted assessor - the auction photo is then used for the dealer's website advert but it can take a few days for the vehicle to be transported to the dealer.

We helped our daughter-in-law buy a Hyundai i30 from the Hyundai Approved scheme - it was listed for sale at our local dealer but not yet available - I contacted the dealer and was able to be there when it was off-loaded from the transporter and then physically examine it - there were a couple of "dings" which the dealer already knew about from the auction and repair of them was done without any quibble so I did the deal with them before anyone else could view the car. That was 8 years ago, she still has the car and still loves it.

When I sold my Hyundai Santa Fe to WBAC the assessor went round to look for damage, etc found one "ding" which was recorded and the car went through BCA auctions and on to a Hyundai dealer in Leicester as an approved car - it was sold in PDQ time as it would have needed little or no preparation.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many cars that become "approved cars" are bought at closed auctions, unseen, via a trusted assessor - the auction photo is then used for the dealer's website advert but it can take a few days for the vehicle to be transported to the dealer.

We helped our daughter-in-law buy a Hyundai i30 from the Hyundai Approved scheme - it was listed for sale at our local dealer but not yet available - I contacted the dealer and was able to be there when it was off-loaded from the transporter and then physically examine it - there were a couple of "dings" which the dealer already knew about from the auction and repair of them was done without any quibble so I did the deal with them before anyone else could view the car. That was 8 years ago, she still has the car and still loves it.

When I sold my Hyundai Santa Fe to WBAC the assessor went round to look for damage, etc found one "ding" which was recorded and the car went through BCA auctions and on to a Hyundai dealer in Leicester as an approved car - it was sold in PDQ time as it would have needed little or no preparation.
Our Kia was owned and operated from new by Kia Motors, and under their Approved scheme the cars are prepared in a facility then despatched to the dealership. The full 7 year warranty including free navigation and infotainment updates is reinstated as are several benefits that come with a brand new vehicle. The lower level scheme similar to what you describe is Kia Assured., and most makes have such schemes for used cars. Our other Kia comes out of warranty at the end of March and apart from front discs and pads ( normal wear) the only warranty work was a replacement lever to adjust the drivers seat height. A five minute job.

The equivalent Hyundai scheme is Promise or Approved.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site

It looks like the 1080kg figure is the oft-quoted "85%" figure used by a lot of the caravan media, see the Practical Caravan article here, maximum towing weights are 1100kg from what I can see:

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/volkswagen-t-cross

As someone else said, the Caravan Finder site gives a good selection of caravan types available for a quoted MTPLM but double check anything of interest as errors on that site have been known!

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts