Which estate car?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I are wanting an estate car to tow our Abbey GTS Vogue 215, MTPLM of 1319 kg. By my reckoning to achieve an 85% match we'll be needing a car, not a 4x4, weighing in at a minimum of 1552kg, preferably a diesel. Any recommendations please?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at the new style Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDI,

I think the weight is ok for your van and the engine is a superb tower, previous version won tow car of the year. Same as used in the Peugeots

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I tow with a Volvo S80 which has a very large boot area however as you are interested in an estate I would recommend either the Volvo V70 or XC70 D5 as a tow car as both give you reasonably economy and also the luxury of a passenger car. If you can pick up one with a GPS all the better. Noseweight is 75kg and kerbweight about 1600 kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan, we tow our Caravelair Eden 472 (MTPLM 1300kg) with our BMW 525d Estate - auto & cruise control make a very relaxing tow & fuel consumtion ok ish @ about 40mpg solo & 22-24 mpg towing. The car has a kerbweight of just under 1800kg, so there's plenty of margin for a bigger van if needed. Whatever you buy as Bri & Colin say get a diesel. Performance is more than adequate too, leaving some solo motorists struggling to overtake us on hills, although

I always slow down and let them pass - of course!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone - Happy New Year!

I'm thinking of changing my Volvo 850 for a Volvo XC70 estate. I think this car comes with a "space saver" spare wheel. If I have a puncture whilst towing, can I legally use this temporary spare?

I'd also be interested in any views about the XC70 as a tow car.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have Mondeo TDCi brilliant car driven it about 35000 miles in a year (Not all towing) including the to the south of france and back with no problems. It does about 500 miles solo and about 300-350 towing on a full tank although I have never put any more than 50 litre when filling up. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Allan D, Based pulely on your weight figures and your prefernce to hold to about 85%, you are limited to mainly large cars/estates from the upmarket manufactures. However noting your aversion to 4x4's and looking for a large estate, then in addition to the Volvos, and Mercedes have you considered the MPV's from Citroen/Fiat/Pergeot, Ford/Seat/Volkswagen, and of course Renault. These are all available in Diesel, with good kerbweights and healthy towing margin, not to mention the cavernouse boot space (if you ignore the thrid row of seats.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts