Which is better, Camping and Caravanning Club or Caravan and Motorhome Club?

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t denigrate either clubs rules. But do complain about the regimantation and apparent lack of being trusted as an adult and the feeling that I am continually having to conform. But others really like that, so good luck to them. I can see that others may like the consistency of the facilities. But we don't use them! So of no interest.

So why then are we members of both clubs. Access the CL and CS networks. Foreign rallies, insurance, ferry deals.

Over recent years we have been using main sites more as getting too old for poor ground. But nowadays there are many more quality CL/CS’s to choose from.

John
I must be an odd one out as with both Clubs I’ve never had a problem with the rules or site staff. Perhaps it’s because I worked in a “ rules” based organisation, or really cannot get worked up by such things when in holiday. In fact on our last trip May last year we had an issue with our two dogs and we’re minded to come back early. I contacted our overnight CMHC stop and explained that I may have to cancel. Not a problem the lady said. Just leave the booking in place and do as you need. In the end we managed to make the overnight stop and were delighted to find they had allocated us a pitch right next to the exit into the woods. That was something of a relief as both dogs had “squiffies”.
Perhaps my tacit acceptance of the rules is because actually they don’t seem to conflict with our enjoyment of our stay. We tended to use the van as a base for visiting areas of interest and would go out for most of the day anyway. The last two commercial sites we used Old Brick Kilns and Wareham Forest Touring Park were little different to Club sites in their approach to advising visitors., and both allocated our pitch to us. But they did have shops. But in all our years touring having a shop (expensive) on site hasn’t been anywhere on our list of needs.

If people don’t like club main site then the simple answer is to not visit them.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If people don’t like club main site then the simple answer is to not visit them.
We have not used a club main site unless necessary i.e. Portsmouth ferry to France however tomorrow after we collect the caravan we have booked a fully serviced pitch on a CAMC site not far from the dealer. Cost for the two of us is £33 for the one night. One of the main reasons we prefer to use CLs or commercial sites.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have not used a club main site unless necessary i.e. Portsmouth ferry to France however tomorrow after we collect the caravan we have booked a fully serviced pitch on a CAMC site not far from the dealer. Cost for the two of us is £33 for the one night. One of the main reasons we prefer to use CLs or commercial sites.
Long gone are the days when you could have a month on main club site for £300. 😩

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I must be an odd one out as with both Clubs I’ve never had a problem with the rules or site staff.

To clarify my previous comments. I have no problem with the rules or the wardens who enforce them. What I don't like is the atmosphere that is often created usually by other caravaners and/or forum or club members who seem to have their breaks dominated by the rules which they are often able to quote. (Perhaps we are over sensitive).

For me the rules are common sense. I simply apply that and somehow manage to not break any rules. (at least I have not been told that I have).

like you, I don't let such things affect my enjoyment. And we also use sites mainly as a base and like to visit places in the area.

Having said that, the last CL we visited, which was otherwise very nice. Had masses of notices posted up everywhere. Most were unnecessary.

John

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just retired from the mobile bedroom after 45 years. Member of both clubs for most of that time. Member of both so that we could find a site (that we knew and wanted some resident discipline on) near/in the area we wanted to stay/explore., along with alot of private sites as well, + CS's & CL's, and many rally fields, and yes there was some differences in standards, CC being the most consistently good, then C & C, then private. Generally found, not the sites that 'get it wrong' but some of the guests. I/we have even seen some anti social 'vanners' towed off by the site tractor. There are some "lovely" people about!?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just becasue you're a member or either club, does not force you to use their sites.

It should be matter of personal choice, and what's right for one may not be comfortable for another. And even if you are a member of a particular club, if you don't like the rules that are applied to one of their services, simples - don't use that part of the clubs offering no one is forcing you.

I'd be very worried if a anyone took the view I was showing disloyalty by choosing to use a non affiliated site or service.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many club members are members for the breakdown policy, insurance and the 5 van sites. They hardly ever use the main sites for many reasons known only to themselves.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
well, you might assume that, but their any hard evidence such as controlled burns of caravans to prove it?
I’m minded to assume the Fuhrwehr have given some thought to fire risks on their national sites.

A realistic appraisal of fire risks caravan sites, (touring sites), would ban awnings and pop up garden gazebos or insist they were made on fireproof material - people will set them on fire by using gas stoves and BBQs in them.
escape death?
that’s a bit dramatic. I certainly don’t fret about a potential fiery death when sleeping in my caravan.
There’s no doubt time is of the essence but we must remember there are caravans containing young children and disabled adults who will need longer than most to escape.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
well, you might assume that, but their any hard evidence such as controlled burns of caravans to prove it?
I’m minded to assume the Fuhrwehr have given some thought to fire risks on their national sites.

A realistic appraisal of fire risks caravan sites, (touring sites), would ban awnings and pop up garden gazebos or insist they were made on fireproof material - people will set them on fire by using gas stoves and BBQs in them.
I think the result of the fire at Broadway is pretty good proof the distance was reasonable in that the two adjacent motorhomes were damaged but did not catch fire. I am not sure though if the fire spread would be consistent. To some extent it would depend on the design and construction and even contents of the burning van plus the weather particularly wind which can carry sparks and flames. I am not sure who came up with the figure but I doubt it was plucked out of thin air.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If members think that CMHC rules are invasive just look at these for a park home development. The "Park Rules" are supposedly drawn down from the local authority planning consent. Top righthand link.

lillybrook-estate

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Much more relaxing camping

We watched the series, not places I'd be in any hurry to visit.
Caravans and tents, many with first time campers appear to be all jumbled together with no consideration for privacy or safety.
The 'entertainment' looks as though it's aimed at small children, the only exceptions being bingo games.
I have to say that the park staff go out of their way to help visitors though, a touring caravan owner visited the reception at one of the camps to complain that his hose for the f/s pitch he'd booked wasn't long enough to reach the tap.
Instead of directing him to the nearest Screwfix or Wilkinson the maintenance staff found him a piece of hose and the connectors for it, after first trying to cobble a joint using adhesive tape.

macandy

BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
We watched the series, not places I'd be in any hurry to visit.
Caravans and tents, many with first time campers appear to be all jumbled together with no consideration for privacy or safety.
The 'entertainment' looks as though it's aimed at small children, the only exceptions being bingo games.
I have to say that the park staff go out of their way to help visitors though, a touring caravan owner visited the reception at one of the camps to complain that his hose for the f/s pitch he'd booked wasn't long enough to reach the tap.
Instead of directing him to the nearest Screwfix or Wilkinson the maintenance staff found him a piece of hose and the connectors for it, after first trying to cobble a joint using adhesive tape.

we were all first time campers once :)

seems perfectly nice outside the Covid madness every campsite in the country saw.

Name range a bell, it’s the Tencreek that got its name in the papers after a campers dog killed a child recently.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not think you can blame them for that as they cannot possibly check every dog. We were on a CAMH site some years back when a young girl was badly mauled by another persons dog.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I do not think you can blame them for that as they cannot possibly check every dog. We were on a CAMH site some years back when a young girl was badly mauled by another persons dog.
Tencreek, now have a NO Pets, rule after this incident.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Tencreek, now have a NO Pets, rule after this incident.

With the number of dog attacks, (not on sites) over the last couple of years, I suspect the insurance industry is only another attack or two away from imposing severe restrictions/bans and/or eyewatering premiums on allowing dogs in public places they insure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts