Which is the better coachman 5 berth twin dinette?

Jun 21, 2019
Visit site
Looked at an 18/5 wanderer..now realising there are more double dinettes out there! I can’t ever seem to get a straight answer with traders/dealers as to what is a better spec. Just been looking online at coachman amara 550 plus coachman highlander. The mind boggles!!
Very new to this so please excuse my naivety!
Any opinions/recommendations most welcome.
We have an XC60 Volvo and licence before 1997.
Prefer double dinette.
Can spend up to £10k max.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s really a question only you can answer. When you look at caravans the dealer will have the specification available but you can also look carefully against your own checklist.

You need to think how you would use the caravan to decide which ones might be best. Ours is five berth twin dinette but we normally only use it for us two or as a three berth with granddaughter along. As such I have stripped out a bunk and some fittings to give more payload. The rear dinette is normally maintained as a bed as we eat in the front or in thecawning/ outside

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rubels

The Amara is a Coachman model now discontinued and replaced with Vision Range
The Wanderer is a dealer special based on either Amara or Vision dependant on age
The Highlander is another dealer special based on Amara or Vision

Dealer Specials are standard vans, then each dealer adds spec to make the van more attractive than the manufacturers model on which it is based, typically you get upgraded upholstery, extra external lockers and bbq point etc, i think they offer good value but only if the extras are something you will use.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have often seen "Escape to the country" where the participants have set out some very strong views on what they want for a new house, but are often bowled over by the mystery property which offers a rather different mix of features that were either just not mentioned or even stated as No No's at the beginning of the programme, so much so that they would not have even looked at the house.

I suspect that caravanners may be rather similar, in having strong views about layouts they think they don't want. but when seeing one in the flesh, perhaps they have a new take on the subject.

So initially when looking at caravans don't be too blinkered, Go to a few dealers and have good look round, Not only will the layouts make more sense to you but you will get a better feeling for the "quality" ( I can't believe I've used that word about a caravan!). then start to produce a short list.

It has to be your choice as only you will know whats right or wrong for you and your way of caravanning.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I have often seen "Escape to the country" where the participants have set out some very strong views on what they want for a new house, but are often bowled over by the mystery property which offers a rather different mix of features that were either just not mentioned or even stated as No No's at the beginning of the programme, so much so that they would not have even looked at the house.

I suspect that caravanners may be rather similar, in having strong views about layouts they think they don't want. but when seeing one in the flesh, perhaps they have a new take on the subject.

So initially when looking at caravans don't be too blinkered, Go to a few dealers and have good look round, Not only will the layouts make more sense to you but you will get a better feeling for the "quality" ( I can't believe I've used that word about a caravan!). then start to produce a short list.

It has to be your choice as only you will know whats right or wrong for you and your way of caravanning.

ABSOLUTELY +1... Don't "assume" you want layout X until you've seen a few different makes with that layout, and you've seen alternatives...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We had the layout in a Coachman Mirage which was the name used before Amara. The layout worked for us for ten years, but we had three girls. If the children are not all the same sex, separate bunks in a different layout might work better for you.
The Wanderer is a Coachman Special from Wandahome, but the Highlander is from Duncan's of Wishaw and is based on a Sprite if that makes any difference.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
We've got a 2011 Amara 570/6 which we got after a lot of travelling around looking at different layouts.
Twin bunks at the back, with a dinette to the side of them which the 2 kids use for games / colouring / eating etc. I've also converted that side dinette into a bed when we've had extra people away with us and it's perfectly comfortable.
The bathroom is then midships, with our bed / lounge / eating area at the front. This works well because when the kids go to bed, there is a dividing screen to close off that end of the van and we can sit at the front with lights on without disturbing them. It also means we can get to the toilet without having to walk right past their bunks and potentially disturbing them.
It's definitely a well-made van - ours suffers the usual abuses of family life and still looks good.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
tuffty said:
We've got a 2011 Amara 570/6 which we got after a lot of travelling around looking at different layouts.
Twin bunks at the back, with a dinette to the side of them which the 2 kids use for games / colouring / eating etc. I've also converted that side dinette into a bed when we've had extra people away with us and it's perfectly comfortable.
The bathroom is then midships, with our bed / lounge / eating area at the front. This works well because when the kids go to bed, there is a dividing screen to close off that end of the van and we can sit at the front with lights on without disturbing them. It also means we can get to the toilet without having to walk right past their bunks and potentially disturbing them.
It's definitely a well-made van - ours suffers the usual abuses of family life and still looks good.

Good description , same as ours !

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

A very valid point Prof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts