Which Mini?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Traveling on the A30 through Devon yesterday at a nice steady 55 - 60 when I spotted another outfit gaining very rapidly. It had to have been well into the 70 mph zone.
Loads do it, I know that, and I've seen loads of Jeeps, Range Rovers, Disco's etc. Each to their own.
However this was a MINI towing a Swift of approximately 14 foot body length.
Now having done some research on the web I can't find a single Mini rated to tow more than 750kg.
Am I missing something here?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A bit off course as usual, travelling north on the M5 yesterday, we came across a vintage Landrover with the headlights in the front grill, travelling in the slow lane at about 30-40mph.

Initially we could not see it as we were travelling behind an HGV when suddenly his brake lights came on and we could see he was braking harder than usual, but not dramatically. As nothing in the middle lane, it was a bit of a swerve at the same time.

That is when we saw the Landrover, but we had more than ample time to slow down and change lanes. I did not think you were permitted to drive so slowly on a motorway as you could be a damger to other road users if they misjudge your speed?

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I believe (and I have been wrong many times) that if you are travelling on a motorway at 50 or less then an orange flashing warning light is required as in cranes and wide loads etc

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I believe (and I have been wrong many times) that if you are travelling on a motorway at 50 or less then an orange flashing warning light is required as in cranes and wide loads etc

No, there is no requirement to display a warning flashing light at speeds below 50 mph on UK motorways even though it may be considered good practice. In fact, there is no minimum speed limit. There is a 30 mph minimum speed limit on motorways in the Republic of Ireland.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's the wide load or excess weight that requires warning lights, not the slower speed. Some goods vehicles are restricted to 50 mph voluntarily by their operator.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The newer Mini's are certainly a lot heftier than the original models. I parked next to one of the 4 door/estate variants with my Volvo not so long back and was amazed at how big they really were.
I even went to look at one was amazed with the legroom because i am rather tall and enough room to get from my wheelchair to the driving seat .

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts