Which model Sorento

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I know a few of you on here have or have had the Sorento, is there one model that is better than the rest?
The Shogun although I still like is getting on a bit and thinking of a change and on looking around I could up grade to another shogun
but I fancy a change maybe to the Sorento or even a Santa Fe may be
Probably looking at around the 2014 year and must be Auto
Thanks in advance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kev, I have a 2014 Sante Fe , premium, auto. Bought it new, ( on retirment) now at 76k miles not a hickcup, at times I work it hard. It has performed well. I went for the premium as it has more storage space under the boot area, for "stuff" . 197 bhp loads of torque, pulls our Coachman at 1645 kg easily. Lots of space inside. Well worth a look at.

I get about an average of 34 mpg. around town , Milton keynes. But on a run at 70 mph. I can get maybe 40 mpg.

Reactions: Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You won't go wrong with either a Sorento or a Santa Fe Kev.
As you may remember, I was a Mitsubishi owner, but the 2009 Kia Sorento Mk 1 2.5 tdci that I bought as a replacement is a better towcar altogether.
My Sorento never misses a beat, I've no experience of the newer 2.2 models but if they're anything like my old tug you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Gagakev and Hutch
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Kev, I have a 2014 Sante Fe , premium, auto. Bought it new, ( on retirment) now at 76k miles not a hickcup, at times I work it hard. It has performed well. I went for the premium as it has more storage space under the boot area, for "stuff" . 197 bhp loads of torque, pulls our Coachman at 1645 kg easily. Lots of space inside. Well worth a look at.

I get about an average of 34 mpg. around town , Milton keynes. But on a run at 70 mph. I can get maybe 40 mpg.
Thanks Hutch, another one to seek out, cheers :beermug::beermug:

Reactions: Hutch
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
You won't go wrong with either a Sorento or a Santa Fe Kev.
As you may remember, I was a Mitsubishi owner, but the 2009 Kia Sorento Mk 1 2.5 tdci that I bought as a replacement is a better towcar altogether.
My Sorento never misses a beat, I've no experience of the newer 2.2 models but if they're anything like my old tug you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Parksy, will be looking at both makes.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev

We went from Shogun to 2013 Santa Fe, never regretted it, Shogun served us well for 13 years but the rust worm got to it, got Santa Fe from Hyundai in Torquay back when they were an independent, changed to newer shape in 2021, first auto and even better than the previous one. Main difference is the 'black magic' element, the car does pretty much everything for you, where on the Shogun you could choose to drive in 2 wheel rear wheel drive and select 4wd when needed, the Santa Fe chooses when you need 4wd.Also find the auto much better when towing, plus you get the manual override on the auto box and selectable diff lock .On some of the 2014 ones the lights vary , on lower spec models they are halogen, my preference would be to find one with led headlights, as they make a big difference at night, especially when you've been used to the Shogun headlights.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....I've been watching what is probably the best 2014 Sorento currently for sale in the Country!
Top of the range KX4 auto with 30k on the clock for sale at a dealers in Sussex....probably too far for you Kevin.
Would buy it myself but have decided my well looked after Nissan will hopefully last my remaining caravaning days.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We swapped our 2015 VW Tiguan manual 4Motion for an auto 2014 Santa Fe Premium SE in June last year.
Glad we made the change, it is a brilliant tow car and means that we have been able to up-plate our Bailey T/A from 1606kg to 1800kg or there abouts. 25mpg towing with 4 of us, heavy caravan, roof box and 2 surfboards on the roof. I like the Premium SE spec, it gives panoramic roof, self leveling suspension and xenon headlights , and will self park like the Tiguan did.
I'm very happy with it so far, but do wish that it did better MPG to be honest, 28-30 round town is a shock after 40-45 mpg in the Tiguan.
The fit and finish is really good, up to VW levels in most areas with only some of the plastics not feeling quite up to the quality of the Tiguan. Sat nav is pretty rubbish, but so was the VW one. Infotainment not as good as VW and no DAB radio, which I miss. But I wouldn't go back to a VW now , that's for sure.
A family friend (non caravanner) has just bought a 2012 Santa Fe Premium after being impressed with ours. He needed something with 7 seats to take his aging parents on holiday with his family, as well as dog transport. He's really happy with his car too. I'm working on getting him to swap his VW Split Screen camper for a caravan :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve a friend who bought a new 2018 Tucson to replace his X trail. But the Tucson had too limited luggage capacity so after four weeks he traded it back for a 2018 Santa Fe. He‘s pleased with it and did the south of France in 2018 and 2019, and already booked again for this summer. I’ve heard nothing but good reports on Hyundai or Kia. We are now on our second Kia. The first one was the generation 1 Sorento that replaced a Disco 2. The Sorento was described as “Gods gift to caravanners”.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I had a 2011 Santa Fe - in many respects it was an excellent car but it spent more time "off-road" than all my previous cars put together, including an engine/transmission rebuild following a big blow-up while towing put down to a failed head gasket at 34,000 miles. The rebuilt car ran better than the original but I couldn't face owning it out of warranty so sold it just before the 5 year cover ran out.

Being an anorak, I've followed the car using MoT History and it seems to have racked up impressive high mileages since I sold it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
....I've been watching what is probably the best 2014 Sorento currently for sale in the Country!
Top of the range KX4 auto with 30k on the clock for sale at a dealers in Sussex....probably too far for you Kevin.
Would buy it myself but have decided my well looked after Nissan will hopefully last my remaining caravaning days.

In 2018 after asking loads of questions we travelled nearly 200 miles to collect our 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee as it had low mileage one previous owner and a full Jeep dealer service history. We are still very pleased with it.
Sometimes it is worth travelling the extra distance to get what you want. We also got one of those warranty direct things with the Jeep and used it for a repair that would have cost nearly £700. No problem with claim.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Son has the current KX4 Sorento.2.2 auto.Bar the badge and cosmetics it’s the same as the Santa Fe. An excellent car with all the whistles and bells. Hyundai own Kia. Their 7 year warranties are legendary.
Either will be great for you. I’d be tempted with Bill’s find👏👏

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Son has the current KX4 Sorento.2.2 auto.Bar the badge and cosmetics it’s the same as the Santa Fe. An excellent car with all the whistles and bells. Hyundai own Kia. Their 7 year warranties are legendary.
Either will be great for you. I’d be tempted with Bill’s find👏👏

Contacted Bill and checked out the Sorento, but having just changed the van our budget wont stretch that far unfortunately, so may have to lower our expectations a wee bit.
Looks like the Santa Fe is better value for money for the same year models.

Thanks for all your replies folks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts