Which route to Lake Garda?

May 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi
We're towing the caravan to Lake Garda in August (crossing to Calais) but I'm unsure of which way to go either through Switzerland or Germany.
On the route planners the Swiss way is about 1 hour quicker and 60-70miles shorter. But the Swiss Vignette is very annoying for both the car and the van just to pass through. The German way you save on the vignette but spend a bit more on fuel and an extra hour. Which is the easiest route for towing a caravan ie the flattest. Would anyone recommend one over the other?
Also Michelin route planner seems to think I'll get there on £110 of diesel which would be a miracle.......
Many thanks for any advice.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know. But we have been, I flew into Venice and hired a car. Garda is really wonderful. We can’t wait to get back by whatever means. But getting a bit far for me to tow now. Cant wait for the airlines to get themselves sorted.

Enjoy it, and don’t miss Sirmione and the cable car from Malcesine.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunar Keith
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
From Calais I would be tempted to use the free Belgium motorways (popping into Luxembourg if possible for cheap fill of fuel) then into Germany and down to cross through Austria. Many miles of motorway following this general route and yes, avoids the Swiss Vignette issue.

Reactions: theroadtoad
May 2, 2022
Visit site
From Calais I would be tempted to use the free Belgium motorways (popping into Luxembourg if possible for cheap fill of fuel) then into Germany and down to cross through Austria. Many miles of motorway following this general route and yes, avoids the Swiss Vignette issue.
We're visiting Ypres over the border in Belgium on the first day and overnight so this makes sense, thanks.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The municipal in Ypres (Leper in Flemish)- Camping Jeudgstadion - is a nice site and only 10 mins walk from the Menin Gate where the Last Post is sounded at 20h00 every night. During the day take the same route through the Gate into the middle of the city and have a wander. The CWGC have a visitor centre on the right a few tens of metres through the Menin Gate.

To get to Lake Garda I would suggest Belgium (through the Ardennes) to Luxembourg, then to Bavaria. There is a good campsite at Rosenheim. From there to Innsbruck and over either the Brenner Pass (free) or the Brenner Highway (toll) into Northern Italy and the Dolomites. Note that Austria also requires vignettes for both tug and caravan but there is a shorter time option than an annual pass in Switzerland.

Alternatively you can trudge down the east side of France and through the Mont Blanc Tunnel straight into Italy. You will then pass Lakes Maggiore and Como on your way to Garda. Ultimately it all comes down to cost.

Remember that in Germany you will be (legally) limited to 80kph although most caravanners get stuck in with the trucks doing 90.

May 2, 2022
Visit site
The municipal in Ypres (Leper in Flemish)- Camping Jeudgstadion - is a nice site and only 10 mins walk from the Menin Gate where the Last Post is sounded at 20h00 every night. During the day take the same route through the Gate into the middle of the city and have a wander. The CWGC have a visitor centre on the right a few tens of metres through the Menin Gate.

To get to Lake Garda I would suggest Belgium (through the Ardennes) to Luxembourg, then to Bavaria. There is a good campsite at Rosenheim. From there to Innsbruck and over either the Brenner Pass (free) or the Brenner Highway (toll) into Northern Italy and the Dolomites. Note that Austria also requires vignettes for both tug and caravan but there is a shorter time option than an annual pass in Switzerland.

Alternatively you can trudge down the east side of France and through the Mont Blanc Tunnel straight into Italy. You will then pass Lakes Maggiore and Como on your way to Garda. Ultimately it all comes down to cost.

Remember that in Germany you will be (legally) limited to 80kph although most caravanners get stuck in with the trucks doing 90.
Thanks for the info, didn't know about the Austrian vignette, will take a look. I love how we have to pay a fortune to drive abroad yet its free to drive on British roads for visitors. Very generous. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info, didn't know about the Austrian vignette, will take a look. I love how we have to pay a fortune to drive abroad yet its free to drive on British roads for visitors. Very generous. :)
I can understand Austria and Switzerland charging as given the size of their population they take a lot of through traffic, and the cost of their road schemes and infrastructure must be significant. For France I’ve regularly used their autoroutes some of which are toll roads, the advantage being that the traffic density is lower than on our motorways and I could cover longer distances more easily on our journeys south.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Check out the vignette for Austria. No second vignette for caravan required and can be bought for 10 day, 2 month or 1 year time periods.

Whatever you do be sure to stick the vignette directly to your windscreen or risk a heavy fine. Ignore any who tell you they stick a vignette -Swiss or Austria on a removable surface - if they do it is not valid.

As for the Mont Blanc Tunnel. Used it years ago but would hesitate today towing a caravan. Worth checking prices and deciding benefits I guess.

My certain preference would be as I first posted - Innsbruck Bolzano, Trento.

You don't say where on Garda you will be stopping. The SR249 running on the Eastern side is fine with a caravan although there are "tight spots" and traffic can be heavy - it can be a slow journey.

You can, of course simply follow motorway right to the southern end of the lake.

The Western side SS45 is narrow in sections and can also be very busy. Doable with caution I would say. Quite a few tunnels and not an easy towing route. I've done it only once and wouldn't use the route again!

Garda West Side.jpg

Reactions: Lunar Keith

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts