WHICH SMOKE ALARM AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Good Evening all,

I had my caravan serviced today and the engineer brought to my attention the above items are expiring this year. So my question is what do you guys suggest regarding brands ? will i just replace both with like for like which is Fire Angel or is there other options i should consider.

I have no issues with Fire Angel at all but would like some views on other options perhaps.

Many Thanks,

Brian.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve tended either to Fire Angel or Kidde. At home we have fire alarms with integral 10 year batteries. But in the caravan I always had smoke alarms with removable batteries as if an alarm gave a problem I’d always have a spare battery which could also be used in the motor mover remote.

This company link explains which standard for leisure vehicles.

Reactions: Fraseb01
Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I’ve tended either to Fire Angel or Kidde. At home we have fire alarms with integral 10 year batteries. But in the caravan I always had smoke alarms with removable batteries as if an alarm gave a problem I’d always have a spare battery which could also be used in the motor mover remote.

This company link explains which standard for leisure vehicles.

That's a good call replaceable batteries or the 10yr option?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's a good call replaceable batteries or the 10yr option?
I think the 10yr option is a sensible way to go, because as far as I know all the smoke and CO sensor elements do have a finite life, and if you go for replaceable batteries, unless you are very fastidious and check the dates of the unit, you might end up fitting fresh batteries to a unit that doesn't actually work properly. What price you or your families' safety.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I think the 10yr option is a sensible way to go, because as far as I know all the smoke and CO sensor elements do have a finite life, and if you go for replaceable batteries, unless you are very fastidious and check the dates of the unit, you might end up fitting fresh batteries to a unit that doesn't actually work properly. What price you or your families' safety.
so true ,10yr option it is .

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
With the 10 year type you have some level of assurance the sensor is designed for that "life", as opposed to some replaceable battery units that I have had with a 6 year "life".
However, I note one, the FireAngel FA3820 is only guaranteed for 5 years, which somewhat mitigates the 10 year life claim!

LINK to Screwfix
LINK to FireAngel's user manual

As mentioned, about checking the suitability, there are some are sold that are suitable for both domestic and "caravan" applications. The above being one such.

This is FireAngel's manual wording about the issue:

"Caravans & BoatsCaravans & boats have additional risks due to the presence of other vehicles, engines, generators or barbecues, however this does not change the basic guidance on locating the alarm. Caravans & boats should have an alarm in the same room as any fuel-burning appliance, located in accordance with advice above. If the caravan has a single living space, one alarm is sufficient. However, any sleeping accommodation which is in a separate room from the fuel-burning appliance should also contain an alarm. The two most important considerations when positioning your alarm are:• Not to place the alarm directly above a source of heat or steam; • Positioning the alarm at a distance of 1 – 3 m from the nearest edge of the potential source"

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You will note the BS number ends with a -2 for the caravan / marine application. Domestic ones end -1

The primary difference is the ability to function perfectly in a wider range of temperatures.
Internally a caravan can be freezing or sky high hot on a sunny day. Not quite so in an ordinary home.
The guarantee varies from one manufacturer to another.
OC beat me, I too use either Kiddie or Fire Angel with 10 year integral battery.
NB make sure the BS ends in a -2.

Reactions: Fraseb01 and JTQ

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Some will be marked with the EN standard, rather than BS.
From this guidance given in a FireAngel webpage {LINK ] I quote:

"In order to detect carbon monoxide, and so prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in the home, the fire Building Regulations recommend the use of CO alarms. These should conform to the following:

EN50291-1:2010 for CO alarms (EN50291-2:2010 for CO in recreational vehicles and boats)"

---------------------------------------------------

I note that the FireAngel FA 3820 does meet the required EN50291-2:2010

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts