Which Tunnel?

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
First time travelling abroad with the caravan, and looking to visit Italy, would the Mont Blanc or Frejus tunnel be better? Has anyone been through both? Are there any problems taking a caravan? Any advice opinions are very welcome!

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Hazel

We have used both these tunnels over the last two years. Driving through the tunnels is very much the same for all tunnels but the Mont Blanc has quite a long and twisting climb up to it, especially on the French side. We were there quite early in the morning and had no problems but there were signs which said "1 hour queue from here" then a bit further another sign "half an hour from here". This was on the climb and I could see there being problems for outfits due to overheating. The Frejus is quite different and I seem to recall that tou arrive at the tunnel almost on the 'flat'. Both tunnels are quite expensive at about

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We used the Mont Blanc coming out of Italy a couple of years ago. Lovely climb, with glorious scenery. It was late June and we had no hold-ups. Very long tunnel. We lost our brakes just as we started down, so it was a bit traumatic.

We must have gone down to Italy via a tunnel, but I can't remember which one. We went through Switzerland, but couldn't use the route we wanted (G. tunnel may have been closed). We entered Italy near Lake Como.

Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts