which tv

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
hi all im new to this caravaning, iv'e just brought a baily ranger 500/5 im looking for a tv/dvd for the kids the 14/inch looks way to heavy to sit on the little pull down table near the tv socket am i being parnoid or are they stronger than they look,

thanks nervous newbie

PW

Jul 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Generally the table takes a lot more weight than it looks - we have also used a heavy combined TV/DVD machine.

However, we're thinking about a 14" LCD given how much the prices are falling PLUS if you have children then why not take the Playstation which doubles up as a dVD player!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good advice from pw, however if you buy an lcd with the intention of using it with e games console then you must ensure that the response time is less than 16MS (milliseconds) or the screen will display blurry images

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere, then maybe not, that LCD TVs sometimes have problems in the 'van as they won't work if certain chargers are on. Is this correct?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ann,

Most LCD screens are designed to work with thier own plug in power supply. These seem to be 12V dc, but because the power supplies are usually switch mode devices they produce a quite accurate 12V with a typical range of 11.5 to 12.5V or better.

In caravans, the battery charger will typically give out 13.8V dc, and when no mains is available most caravan applinces will operate down to 10.5Vdc. This is a much wider swing that the LCD panel would normally expect. In a car the situation can be worse, as the alternator in some models will give out up to 14.5V dc

As a consequence, and depending on the individual design of the LCD panel, some may work quite well in a caravan but others may not tollerate the wide swing in supply voltage.

My advice is to specifically ask (do it in in writing and get a written reply) if the panel will work in a caravan with a supply voltage swing of between 10.5 to 13.8V.

If you find your panel does not work, the you have written evidence that the product is not fit for purpose and you will be able to get your money back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts