Who stays Dares😃

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Well Kev, I thought they had moved Polmanter to Clover Fields near Buxton. Rain rain and rain and wind.
We head home tomorrow, carefully so I expect it will take a while longer than normal. Be safe you two 🍺🍺
Dusty take it easy mate, just saw local forecast and winds get worse tomorrow coming in from the north, so may have no choice but to stay tomorrow but will then go on Saturday.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dusty take it easy mate, just saw local forecast and winds get worse tomorrow coming in from the north, so may have no choice but to stay tomorrow but will then go on Saturday.
The news tonight says winds getting up ,but for you DD should be head on, so no real problems, especially with the extra weight you have gained in lock down, take care on the way home.

Reactions: Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry that your holiday is being cut short Kevin.
We lost an awning at Polmanter a few years ago, it ripped all along the awning rail beading when the wind off the Atlantic got into it.
When we were there a couple of weeks ago we had some very strong winds with gusts of up to 80mph during the night on the Friday.
I didn't put the awning up, a good decision as it turned out.
Take it steady on the way home

Reactions: Hutch and Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry that your holiday is being cut short Kevin.
We lost an awning at Polmanter a few years ago, it ripped all along the awning rail beading when the wind off the Atlantic got into it.
When we were there a couple of weeks ago we had some very strong winds with gusts of up to 80mph during the night on the Friday.
I didn't put the awning up, a good decision as it turned out.
Take it steady on the way home
Thanks Parksy, think if it was just the one night we would put up with it, but we have been up since 4.00 and we can't even grab a nap, the van just keeps rocking. I have never known anything like this. Most awnings are down on site and a few tents have gone today.

• Wow
Reactions: Parksy and Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Kev,
Having spent more than one night in a van that was rocking for all the wrong reasons; I feel your pain. Hope that against the odds you can salvage some from your stay. Take the awning down; one less thing to worry about.
Good luck
Mel

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well just to let you know, Teddy is fuming he was up at 4.00am this morning tending to the awning in these gale force winds. Teddy then decided at 5.45 to take it down, I gave him a hand!
We have been battered all day and it still gives more for tomorrow.
Teddy didn't have his traditional fry up either as we can't open any windows or roof lights as they would end up in the sea. The forecast is terrible up until Monday. So we are seeing a break in the weather for couple of hours tomorrow afternoon.
So we are packing up and heading home. Even I can't stand this relentless bad weather.
Would behave gone today but reackon it was too windy to tow.
Lovely site though, and we will return.
Hi Kev not very good weather keep safe going home .

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well Kev, I thought they had moved Polmanter to Clover Fields near Buxton. Rain rain and rain and wind.
We head home tomorrow, carefully so I expect it will take a while longer than normal. Be safe you two 🍺🍺
Have you had a nice relaxing time in Buxton keep safe coming home

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It seems that winter has come back again with a vengeance! Forecast for the next week is not good with lots of rain in between!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......your decision Kevin but I would stay and see the holiday through.

Today looks the worse day weather wise and better on your pitch than out there towing and from then on the weather is set to improve in Cornwall.
If you haven't already.........I would put a bit more weight on the jockey wheel and steadies which helps to cut down some caravan movement in the wind.
Get yourselves out to a nice meal at a solid bricks and mortar pub ;)

Good luck with whatever you and Maggs decide.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kev,
Having spent more than one night in a van that was rocking for all the wrong reasons; I feel your pain. Hope that against the odds you can salvage some from your stay. Take the awning down; one less thing to worry about.
Good luck
Mel
Hoping the next outing will be more successful and enjoyable for you in every area of the holiday...good luck!

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
So here in Northumberland near Lindisfarne, this excellent site of 90 FS Pitches was near empty Thursday. Friday they flooded in. Not a spare in sight. This evening pitch where you want.
I am seeing a marked change in current touring habits. Those like me wanting a week here or there are the minority. Talking with the site owners it’s bums on pitches that pays the bills. The post Covid recovery is crucial. Sadly there will be casualties not to the liking of us Tourers. Book well in advance if you want to stay anywhere!
Hi,
We are both retired ,since retiring we tend not to booked during public holidays or weekends (only if Sat and Sunday is part of a weeks stay - staying a week starting at Sunday night.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
.......your decision Kevin but I would stay and see the holiday through.

Today looks the worse day weather wise and better on your pitch than out there towing and from then on the weather is set to improve in Cornwall.
If you haven't already.........I would put a bit more weight on the jockey wheel and steadies which helps to cut down some caravan movement in the wind.
Get yourselves out to a nice meal at a solid bricks and mortar pub ;)

Good luck with whatever you and Maggs decide.
Well Bill you saved the day. I did adjust the steadies twice yesterday and after your comments I went and tweaked some more today and one of the packing pieces on the front nearside had actually been blown out so that steady was in mid air!!
So I have done them Tighter than normal and hey presto what a difference...thanks Bill.

Oh and winds are dying down now with a drizzle in the morning and a sunny afternoon , so we will stay tomorrow and go home on Sunday as it gives heavy rain both days.
Thanks for your comments everyone.
Dusty glad you got home ok.

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev,
Good luck
Mel
Thanks Mel, gonna stay until Sunday now so not all lost. Ps, awning was down already.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well Bill you saved the day. I did adjust the steadies twice yesterday and after your comments I went and tweaked some more today and one of the packing pieces on the front nearside had actually been blown out so that steady was in mid air!!
So I have done them Tighter than normal and hey presto what a difference...thanks Bill.

Oh and winds are dying down now with a drizzle in the morning and a sunny afternoon , so we will stay tomorrow and go home on Sunday as it gives heavy rain both days.
Thanks for your comments everyone.
Dusty glad you got home ok.
Have a nice time Kev :rolleyes:

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Rain and bad weather follow us-when we arrive on site I usually go round the near neighbours and apologise as even if it looks to be nice , when we arrive, it rains! Seriously though, in the UK the weather is just so unpredictable we go prepared for anything and the worst! A week in Glen Nevis-constant rain. For a change our first trip out to Wales was absolutely wonderful-warm and dry-just before this rubbish! Quite like bad weather and rain on the roof of the van-something cute about it! Wind is the issue-we never put the awning up if winds over 30mph are forecast. W e learned the hard way on the same Scottish holiday on our stop over at North Berwick on the way home-awning up, went to bed-wind got up and we had to take it down at 3am. Not pleasant. We also spent an afternoon taking awnings down on a site last year for people who'd gone out left them up and they were destructing themselves or their caravans-only one was ripped irreparedly.

AS for wind and towing -having towed our Bailey up to Glen Nevis in hurricane Brian-it's a case of take you time-slow down-we did 50 on the motorway with the lorries who'd slowed a bit too-no issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So here in Northumberland near Lindisfarne, this excellent site of 90 FS Pitches was near empty Thursday. Friday they flooded in. Not a spare in sight. This evening pitch where you want.
I am seeing a marked change in current touring habits. Those like me wanting a week here or there are the minority. Talking with the site owners it’s bums on pitches that pays the bills. The post Covid recovery is crucial. Sadly there will be casualties not to the liking of us Tourers. Book well in advance if you want to stay anywhere!
The CL we have been on in North York Moors has been 95% utilised for-the two weeks with most pre booked. We mainly escaped the rain showers but Thursday was awful, last night Friday into Saturday extremely strong winds. We decided to leave the awning up and dropped it this morning. Two pooches with colitis made for early mornings and kicking them into the awning was a prerequisite at times. I’ve seen some lovely sunrises. ☹️

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts