Whoops, hope he's insured

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Having just read Claire Kelly's report on page 100 of the latest magazine regarding smoke coming from the caravan wheels because she left the handbrake on after pulling away from a night's stopover, I wonder if the above incident had a similar cause? Junction 29 westbound on the M4 is about 3 or 4 miles after leaving the CC site Tredegar House!

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
Having just read Claire Kelly's report on page 100 of the latest magazine regarding smoke coming from the caravan wheels because she left the handbrake on after pulling away from a night's stopover, I wonder if the above incident had a similar cause? Junction 29 westbound on the M4 is about 3 or 4 miles after leaving the CC site Tredegar House!
It probably would have been that the handbrake was left on, and the amount of friction caused the van to catch fire, that looks painful on the wallet if they dont have insurance

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My guess would be gas not turned off. I have tired to set off with the handbrake partly on but it pulls itself up to full on and won't let me tow away. If you can tow with the handbrake on it would suggest it is faulty.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Seems the fire is coming from the front nearside? If they were towing and it was the handbrake the wind direction would have taken the frie to the rear if the fire was able to jump from the drum to the body. My guess would be that they left the hot water gas fire on as I cannot think of anything else that would casue a fire when towing. I can't make out the make fo the caravan involved. Thanks goodness no one injured.
Makes you wonder how it managed to catch fire while being towed. I also wonder if they had the hitchlock fitted?

Here is another caravan fire on M4 a few months ago. http://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/penarth_news/10323380.Caravan_fire_blocks_M4_lane_at_Miskin/

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Surfer said:
Seems the fire is coming from the front nearside? If they were towing and it was the handbrake the wind direction would have taken the frie to the rear if the fire was able to jump from the drum to the body. My guess would be that they left the hot water gas fire on as I cannot think of anything else that would casue a fire when towing. I can't make out the make fo the caravan involved. Thanks goodness no one injured.
Makes you wonder how it managed to catch fire while being towed. I also wonder if they had the hitchlock fitted?

Here is another caravan fire on M4 a few months ago. http://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/penarth_news/10323380.Caravan_fire_blocks_M4_lane_at_Miskin/
The heat from the flames while trying to unhitch must be unbearable, and i never tow with a hitchlock on

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't let this topic become another pointless and un-provable debate about what happened to the unfortunate caravanner. We simply do not have facts or enough evidence to make any authoritative assumptions or conclusions.

However if the speculation has highlighted an issue with forgetting to release the caravans hand brake, then that all well and good, but don't lets get involved with unending speculation about incidents for which we do not have enough quality information.

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hear hear, Prof!
I'm glad I read this comment as I have towed my caravan with the hitch lock on. From now on, I will only keep it on whe my caravan is unattended. I'd not even considered trying to unhitch in the case of a fire....
smiley-frown.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Don't let this topic become another pointless and un-provable debate about what happened to the unfortunate caravanner. We simply do not have facts or enough evidence to make any authoritative assumptions or conclusions.

However if the speculation has highlighted an issue with forgetting to release the caravans hand brake, then that all well and good, but don't lets get involved with unending speculation about incidents for which we do not have enough quality information.

Hi Prof,
Yes and no.

Causation by truth , reality , by hypothesis or whatever is still relevant.
Sometimes the weirdest wildest causation can be a reality so I would never discourage any speculation providing we all accept the reality is still unproven.
Any thoughts could be used as part of a safety check before moving off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dusty,

Speculation is fine, just as long as no- one starts to sayor assume that MUST be the cause of the fire.

If speculation alerts others to possible problems to look out for, thats good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts