Who's found their perfect van layout? No ifs. No buts...

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
For decades now, the best minds of designers and the best minds of caravanners have been applying their collective minds to the holy grail - the PERFECT van lay-out.

Surely by now, there must be something that perfectly suits everyone - two berths, three, four, six, families, grans, or whatever.

But how many of you can honestly say you've found THE ONE - and no compromise. If you have, share your secret with the rest of us.

In our case, we reckon we've cracked it - that is, for us, a near wrinkly couple!

We DON'T want twin axle, we don't want cut-off double beds (we're the same size!), we don't want the loo/shower opposite the cooker!

We DO want a decent lounge and kitchen, we do want a proper bedroom, we do want plenty of room to manoeuvre in the washroom/loo/shower. (We never use site facilities).

Well our utopia is a van with a forward door entering the lounge and kitchen. The rear half of the van is given over entirely to the loo/washroom compartment on the left and shower compartment on the right, and then twin 2ft 7ins wide beds running parallel to the rear. (The bedroom can be used as alternative reading/TV room, etc, if required)

The clever bit is that when you open the loo/washroom door, it fastens across the centre aisle, partitioning the entire rear half of the van from the front.

Thus, you have the space of the entire rear half of the van for your ablutions, washing or showering. Great. If your other half's in bed, then there is another sliding door to pull across for privacy from both quarters.

So far as I can ascertain, there is only one manufacturer that utilises this "one-bed-flat-on-wheels" design and even they only specify it on their top-of-the-range models (circa £19,000). And yet, it's simplicity itself and there is no significant cost I can think of in applying it to any model, basic or luxury...

So..........step forward the Fleetwood Heritage 560-4, a four berth capability, but ideal as a two-berth.

For me, the design is indeed perfect.

But if you've found something better, then I'd be interested to know, because the search for perfection never ends does it? Perhaps others, with different needs/berth requirements, might help others by sharing their views on the ideal vans they've found.

If you've got it, flaunt it...!!!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
I've only heard good things about Fleetwoods Collin and it looks like a nice caravan if it suits your way of use.

How can there be a perfect layout?

We all have different needs and use criteria, nice van your choice but would be of little use to us!

We often use our caravan with my parents and in-laws and even using it when alone I wouldn't want a smaller van where many others would be happy to down size I guess.

Ria

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I've only heard good things about Fleetwoods Collin and it looks like a nice caravan if it suits your way of use.

How can there be a perfect layout?

We all have different needs and use criteria, nice van your choice but would be of little use to us!

We often use our caravan with my parents and in-laws and even using it when alone I wouldn't want a smaller van where many others would be happy to down size I guess.

Ria
I hope I made it clear that, for the reasons you state, I was asking if you had found YOUR perfect layout - not necessarily THE perfect layout for everyone...Regards...

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Well, we certainly seem to have got OUR perfect van. We went into it only yesterday and madame said "I really do like it in this van, I always feel at home and comfortable."

The layout?

The van is 12' long.

Across the rear is a full size double bed.

There is a 6" wide low-level wardrobe "slot" on the nearside, and then the sink and kitchen storage, followed by the door towards the front.

On the offside is the cooker, then fridge with a decent area of worktop over.

Across the front are, nearside, a set of drawers for clothes, and a table which runs across and a single seat, facing inboard, on the offside. For dining, the second person sits on a folding chair in the middle of the van facing forward.

There is no high-level storage, which keeps it very airy and spacious.

Outside, the awning acts as the "living room" with comfortable folding chairs and a small table. An awning extension gives extra storage, and provides space for the emergency porta-potti.

There is no bathroom - we are happy to use site facilities - and no hot water. Cold water is on a foot pump. There is currently no 12 volt, though I will probably put some in one day. Heating is by mains electric.

So what is it? Well, it started as a Sprite Compact pop-top which we bought on ebay for

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think Colinn was not referring to a universally perfect 'van' but that one's choice nearly always forces a compromise somewhere along the line. You are really lucky if you managed to find a caravan that suits you well without having to make ANY compromises, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. In almost 20 years of caravanning, I certainly haven't found the perfect 'van for me. Acceptable yes, but there's always been at least one thing about every one I've seen that makes it less than perfect (quite apart from the price).

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Lutz, correct sir, as usual...

Not one van to suit all - too many different requirements among the purchasing fraternity for that. It's the van layout that is perfect FOR YOU that I am talking about, in every category.

And why? Because it follows that, if it is perfect for your needs, then it will surely suit many others in circumstances similar to your own and therefore may be helpful to them in the buying process.

After all, as with cars, we get very little "test" time when buying and the things we DON'T like, or wish we could change, often emerge long after the money has been spent. You could save many people that trouble!

And just to keep it on track, it's the layout - not the van itself necessarily - that prompted my question.

If the layout is right and is universally available, we the consumers can choose which manufacturer can deliver it best...

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
It has taken us many years but at last I think we have the ideal layout for our needs.

We have the t/a Delta 640EW, 7ft 6ins wide so plenty of room, as there is only 2 of us most of the time the van gives us uncramped 3 room van. Front being the living area with 6ft 6in long parralel seating,kitchen amid ships with a microwave , bedroom has a comfy fixed bed with the wardrobe in the bedroom and 2 windows in the bedroom (1 either side) so plenty of light.

Full width toilet with separate shower and again plenty of light from the sky light and frosted window.

Directional aerial so no problem with TV reception and heater which is more than adequate to heat the whole van even in the coldest conditions.

Plenty of storage lockers and cupboards .

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Colinn,

We have the LMC 520hte twin beds but they are 2ft 10ins wide, mine is 6ft 4 inch, the wifes about 6ft 3ins. end bathroom, toilet is in the shower which gives a larger shower room( we don`t mind drying it off)privacy doors to bathroom and bedroom, U shaped seating in lounge, with a central TV cupboard so you can watch where ever you are( except the loo)kitchen has cooker, hob and fridge. I think its 7.36mtrs long on a single axle.

It`s our perfect van 1500kgs pulled with the best tow car KIA Sorento 2.5 manual.

Tony A.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
There you go Tony, that's broadened the horizons! Had never heard of LMC, but their website shows the layouts look interesting...Thanks

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
We fell in love with our Burstner Tricento last October at the NEC. It is Mocca coloured on the out side. It has an end L shaped kitchen at the rear, side dinnett & bench seat opposite then fixed bed & toilet at the front, but one of the best things that come with it is the underfloor heating. Last week in Devon we turned it on in the evening & left it on all night. Shear blis.

Graham W.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Colinn,

They are imported and sorted by Continental caravans,

CROSS HANDS, CAMARTHEN, S/WALES

They come with 13amp sockets, dometic fridge etc

German build quality GREAT NOTHING FALLS OFF

Tony A.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colinn,

We bought a Fleetwood Heritage 640ES last year which is pretty much the same as the 560 but a bit bigger, it has a 4'6" x 6'6" fixed double [twin singles are available] bed at the rear with no corners missing and the front makes 6'6" singles or a bigger double, the bathroom and shower have doors seperating them from each end so the toilet can be accessed in privacy from either end, it is a twin axle so more difficult to move but it does have more room inside and a 150l fridge freezer.

We found this layout near perfect for our needs.

spj.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colinn,

We bought a Fleetwood Heritage 640ES last year which is pretty much the same as the 560 but a bit bigger, it has a 4'6" x 6'6" fixed double [twin singles are available] bed at the rear with no corners missing and the front makes 6'6" singles or a bigger double, the bathroom and shower have doors seperating them from each end so the toilet can be accessed in privacy from either end, it is a twin axle so more difficult to move but it does have more room inside and a 150l fridge freezer.

We found this layout near perfect for our needs.

spj.
Yessir, I have YOU to thank for my choice...I read your description in June and checked it out! Because for various reasons, a twin-axle is not for me, I was delighted to see Fleetwood made a single axle version with all the advantages we have described.

As you've said on your posts before, it's everyone to their own choice, and for us it was the single beds, to avoid climbing over each other and to use them as alternative seating areas if necessary.

In fact, the van grows on us every time we use it, as we discover new delights, comforts and conveniences. So thanks very much for pointing us in the right direction!

PS: I also pull it effortlessly with a Merc ML - bl**dy brilliant!!

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Colinn,

Sorry to spoil your day with the beds, did I mention it only cost us 13,500 in Nov 2003 though not sure what the price is now, but I doubt it comes anywhere near 19,500.

Still your Fleetwood has probably got all kinds of nick- nacks, that the LMC hasn`t.

Tony A.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Colinn,

Sorry to spoil your day with the beds, did I mention it only cost us 13,500 in Nov 2003 though not sure what the price is now, but I doubt it comes anywhere near 19,500.

Still your Fleetwood has probably got all kinds of nick- nacks, that the LMC hasn`t.

Tony A.
Well, I can get one over on you there. I paid significantly less than you, for a one year old van, literally "as new"...!!!

As with cars, I never buy new - lose too much money in the first year. Saved best part of

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colinn,

Very interesting topic.As a family man(3 grown up kids,5grandchildren soon 6) my ideal caravan has changed over the years.When the kids were younger it suited us to have a caravan with a diner one end(converted to bunks) and u shaped lounge other end.Awning essential,with hanging bedroom.

Funny thing though,now there's only the 2 of us,earlier this year we went out to get a gas refill.We went to a new dealership which had just opened up in our area.Whilst there we looked at some secondhand vans(as you do) with no intentions of changing vans as we only bought ours 1 year ago.

Big big big mistake!! or was it!!!

We came across a particular van that looked nice.We inspected it and her indoors promptly declared that this was the perfect caravan for our needs.She refused to budge from the van until I'd been to see the salesman,got a price for our old van,remortgaged,and bought it.So much for a new gas bottle.

I must say that for us it is a brilliant van.we use it more than any other van we've had.It might not be everyone's cup of tea but we love it

Coachman Amara 520/4 towed with a renault megane sport tourer 1.9tdi.In 26 years of towing this so far is the best combination.

For us.....

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colinn,

Very interesting topic.As a family man(3 grown up kids,5grandchildren soon 6) my ideal caravan has changed over the years.When the kids were younger it suited us to have a caravan with a diner one end(converted to bunks) and u shaped lounge other end.Awning essential,with hanging bedroom.

Funny thing though,now there's only the 2 of us,earlier this year we went out to get a gas refill.We went to a new dealership which had just opened up in our area.Whilst there we looked at some secondhand vans(as you do) with no intentions of changing vans as we only bought ours 1 year ago.

Big big big mistake!! or was it!!!

We came across a particular van that looked nice.We inspected it and her indoors promptly declared that this was the perfect caravan for our needs.She refused to budge from the van until I'd been to see the salesman,got a price for our old van,remortgaged,and bought it.So much for a new gas bottle.

I must say that for us it is a brilliant van.we use it more than any other van we've had.It might not be everyone's cup of tea but we love it

Coachman Amara 520/4 towed with a renault megane sport tourer 1.9tdi.In 26 years of towing this so far is the best combination.

For us.....
just looked it up Pat, it seems excellent, but tell us, what it is you particularly like??

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Well, I can get one over on you there. I paid significantly less than you, for a one year old van, literally "as new"...!!!

As with cars, I never buy new - lose too much money in the first year. Saved best part of

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colinn,

We have the 2002 model.U shaped lounge which seats 6 adults very comfortably.Side dinette.Loads of storage with aircraft type lockers which makes the interior look humongous.Light and airy inside.But the iceing on the cake has to be the end washroom with seperate shower.

For us a brilliant van.Should last us until we retire,or go searching for another gas refill.Talking of which I have replaced the blue calor gas cylinders with litegas from bp.Much lighter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts