Why can't I book a site for August Bank Holiday?

TLC

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
How frustrating!! I am trying to book a site that is family friendly in the New Forest area for this August Bank Holiday for myself and a friend. 2 caravans. What a NIGHTMARE!!

Everywhere is booked.

What happened to spontaneity?

I know this is one of the busiest Bank Holidays but I must be able to get a reasonable site.

Any suggestions?

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
You might have to settle for a CL/CS instead. It depends what part of the "family friendly" is important ?

Do you want playgrounds, or kids entertainment etc. What you may save if you stay on a CL, you might be able to spend on driving to these locations.

Just an idea. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
TLC

When it comes to bookings for bank holidays you need to plan well in advance. We were fully booked by the end of June for the August holiday, and have bookings for New year, easter, and May bank holiday next year. In fact we have a pitch for Christmas this year. which is unusual.

David from Suffolk

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a Bank Holiday within the main school holidays - THE busiest weekend of the year, particularly at family-friendly sites. You're suggesting a National Park near the South Coast and wondering why all the sites are full?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
all bank holidays are booked up very early as this is the time when most people get a long weekend, we book for easter at least 6 month in advance and new year is usually booked a year in advance. we don't bother with august bank holiday as its just too busy on the roads for me so we go the week after if at all.

I would be very surprised if you get anything now as its just too late and if a site does have spare pitches i would be wondering why ?.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Due to my wife cocking up with the dates we're away the BH week. We did all our site bookings in April and for this week alone we had to go for a 3rd choice destination and only just got in (according to the site).

Your only options are to try a different area or prey the weather is as bad as its now and people will cancel (preferable not the latter as I want a decent week away!!!!!)

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
We are going to Somerset tomorrow and decided we wanted to stop somewhere for a couple of nights on the way back home. We were lucky to get pitches on a site near Birmingham for the 22/23 August and that was after a long search through the site books, searching on the internet and on the phone. Guess we have learnt our lesson and will be looking to book next years hols as soon as we get bcak.

Lynne

TLC

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

We have now decided to go the weekend after & miss the crowds & have decided not the New Forest. We have found a lovely site in Petworth instead.

When we first bought our caravan last year the idea of going off last minute really appealed to us. Obviously you can not do this easily. I have learnt my lesson. As soon as I can I will make all my bookings for next year as soon as you are able to do so. However it just means I will book all the possible dates & then have to cancel them if we don't need them (due to work commitments. Not really ideal & not my idea of fairness but it seems that the majority of caravanners do this just to get the dates needed. I personally don't like booking too far in advance but if this is the only way I will get somewhere I have no option. Unless any of you have any better ideas?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
TLC - there's plenty of freedom in caravanning, just not at August Bank Holiday and Easter on the South Coast !!

Smaller sites with fewer facilities are fully booked less often and are much more pleasant, in my opinion.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I don't know if you have already got a place to go, but we have just had to cancel our booking for Cosgrove Leisure Park (north Bucks, a lovely site with fishing, lakes, rivers, walks etc), and they said they still had some spaces available.

Good luck

Lois

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Check out the caravan club site list on their web pages. They list sites with availability.

You should get in to Kinlochewe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a Bank Holiday within the main school holidays - THE busiest weekend of the year, particularly at family-friendly sites. You're suggesting a National Park near the South Coast and wondering why all the sites are full?
Oh honestly.............I cannot believe anyone could be so naive.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Check out the caravan club site list on their web pages. They list sites with availability.

You should get in to Kinlochewe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But the fearsome and infamous Kinlochewe midges will get you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts