Why Some Prefer Adult Sites

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Just 2 experiences Ive had this summer. First at Llangors Lake, a private site. A motorhome pitched opposite two caravans who were together. The wife got out and went to reception while hubby was setting up. Five minutes later he opened the door to go inside and out walked 2 little kids from the caravans opposite. Around the pitches it was like a tip with the rubbish of sweet wrappers etc. The following day they were jumping up and down on my Wastemaster and climbing the steps and leaning into our van to make the dogs bark. The motorhome moved pitches later that day and we couldnt wait to leave. The second instance was at the C.C.C. site at Winchcombe. A lovely site with 2 pools and lots of wildlife especially ducks. The ducks even feature in the brochure. A family were sat outside when some ducks waddled over to them. What did the dear mother do? She got up and proceeded to chase the ducks including kicking out at them followed by her sweet little brat doing likewise. Later that day the sweet little brat got a handful of gravel pretending it to be food. He was trying to get the ducks close enough so he could hit them with his tennis racket. This failed so he then tried throwing the racket at them. Later that day our homely little family had friends arrive and pitch next door to them. These had two little brats who also delighted in trying to harm the ducks. This was all happening around their pitches with the parents watching. They did chase them across to our pitch later when I opened the door and told the sweet little angels where to go. I must admit those loveable little children were slow learners because within one hour they was back again chasing them around our van. I was up and out of that van like a chicken on hot snot. I shouted at them hoping the parents would say something to me because I was now ready to rip someones head off but nothing was said. In fact they never even looked up. Now I'm not a violent person and thankfully when I lose my temper it comes down just as fast but why oh why do parents have to act like that? What had those ducks done to anyone? Half an hour later a lady at a van close by was knealt down with her toddler feeding the ducks which helped to restore my faith in human nature.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you came across a family of chavs. We are new to caravanning, only started this summer and definitely are attracted to the CL sites. They are in our experience usually quiet spots. We are off to one next week in Church Stretton - hope its fair weather. Kids are back at school so should'nt encounter any duck hunters with tennis bats. If we do I will tell them I know someone who will sort them out.

regards Tony.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having witnesed similar ourselves - can ANYBODY post a reason why the more mature of us should not be allowed to choose an adult only site?

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

One of our weeks away this summer was spent at the CC site in Chedar. Our children, Boy five girl 10, made friends with the children of another couple of vans and spent most of the week's free time playing ball games, flying kites, drawing etc. (As I have mentioned in other threads we are a non tele caravan family) Towards the end of the week an elderly gent (turned out he was 77) came and spoke to me. He remarked how much he and his caravan bound wife had enjoyed seeing a group of well behaved courteous children play traditional games without upsetting and causing mischief to other campers.(Its not the only good report I have had)

I cant tell you how proud I felt but then my children have been brought up and not dragged up.

All I can say in defence, as someone with a young family, is not all kids are the same.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree Martyn, I wasn't having a go at ALL kids. In fact at Winchcombe opposite us was a little girl who made friends with another of a similar age and they were no trouble at all. Her parents were very nice people too.I am a father and a grandfather so I'm not anti child. I was just giving an example of how a few can spoil it for others and why people choose adult sites only. I will certainly be more particular on the sites I choose in future and dont let me put you off Winchcombe, its a nice site even though they did charge me an extra

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you came across a family of chavs. We are new to caravanning, only started this summer and definitely are attracted to the CL sites. They are in our experience usually quiet spots. We are off to one next week in Church Stretton - hope its fair weather. Kids are back at school so should'nt encounter any duck hunters with tennis bats. If we do I will tell them I know someone who will sort them out.

regards Tony.
Laughin my ass off Tony, I wont have far to come - I only live just a bit further south down the A49.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Martyn,like yourself I have raised my children to respect others and am also proud to here comments about them.Last week we went to Southend for the day as they love the seeside.As we sat on the beech a child of about 10 dived into the water ,fully clothed, and then shouted to his family how "f***ing cold" the water was,we left pretty quickly.I dont think we need adult only sites I think we need RESPONSABLE adult only sites...Lets not blame the kids..Good parents..good kids, Bad parents...Bad kids....Brian.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What is wrong with parents nowadays.

They have no control over their children, no respect for wildlife, pets, or other people's property.

If they had been my kids they would have had their ears boxed. OOps....not allowed to do that nowadays!!!

A result of the "nanny" society we now live in!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Why don't sites have an area just for Adults, I know some do but I would welcome this on all sites.but then WHO is going to protect the Ducks and wildlife from the Rabble?.

Shiba.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Why don't sites have an area just for Adults, I know some do but I would welcome this on all sites.but then WHO is going to protect the Ducks and wildlife from the Rabble?.

Shiba.
We recently stayed at Naburn Lock near York and they have a field sectioned off for adults only. This worked really well and allowed everyone access to all the facilities, but meant that those of us who didn't have children could sit peacefully outside our vans without being disturbed by playing children (which - personal opinion - I prefer!)

Sep 15, 2005
Visit site
I have been to Llangors many times, always great, until last year! We were in a tent, over a weekend the field filled up, unfortunately they all knew each other. Set up big gazebos, and had a big knees up. I'm not against having fun, and kind of expect noise on a weekend, but there must have been around 50 of them shouting and playing a PA system till 3am. The owner of the park asked them to stop several times, but just recieved abuse from them. Some people don't care!

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
We recently stayed at Naburn Lock near York and they have a field sectioned off for adults only. This worked really well and allowed everyone access to all the facilities, but meant that those of us who didn't have children could sit peacefully outside our vans without being disturbed by playing children (which - personal opinion - I prefer!)

Sounds like my kind of site.

Shiba.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please don't fly kites anywhere near caravans etc. as they can be lethal if an uncontrolled nosedive takes place - I have seen one penetrate a van's roof causing serious damage and its a good job it was not a child's face etc.

please do not think that I am anti-kite flying

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lets face it,weve all been there,kids are bloody hard work,and your kids will realise that when they have kids of their own,mine certainly do.

so i think these adult only sites are great for parents/people who've brought up a family and need somewhere to chill out doing the thing they have done for years,and to have it completely child free.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
lets face it,weve all been there,kids are bloody hard work,and your kids will realise that when they have kids of their own,mine certainly do.

so i think these adult only sites are great for parents/people who've brought up a family and need somewhere to chill out doing the thing they have done for years,and to have it completely child free.
well said !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lord B. I have 3 children and they have been brought up to respect others. We look after our van and have always emphasised to the kids that they should respect other people's property. Even though I have children, I myself wouldn't have been impressed with this family's behaviour. Some parents these days will ignore the kids so they can have a quite weekend never mind how if affects other caravanners. The idea of an adult only section is quite good but it still means that the likes of my family will be still stuck with the families from hell. I think everyone is free to choose what type of site they use. Adutls only is great if that's what you want. I dare see, when my fledglings have decided to quit caravanning we may very well look in that direction ourselves. Anyway, happy caravanning.

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
I go along with you Klarky. We need the freedom to choose adult sites or take pot luck with the kid oriented site. We used to take our kids camping years ago ... but we've done all that and want some "couple time" now they've flown the nest. I used to teach young children also, but choose to spend my leisure time in the peace and quiet along with other adults.

I think if you have worked hard to raise a family, you deserve some respite once they have grown.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts