WiFi boosters

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone
Well spending winter in Spain and am currently seeking advice as to what devices people use to boost there Wifi signal have also recently bought a MiFi and am using a spanish sim data card any advice greatly appreciated

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I use a Netgear Trek. PR2000

This connects to the site wifi then you devices connect to the Trek. Helps when site wifi only lets one connection at once.

Trek is powered either by mains (plugs in) or by usb. £20.00 on Amazon

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
stevehirst1 said:
I use a Netgear Trek. PR2000

This connects to the site wifi then you devices connect to the Trek. Helps when site wifi only lets one connection at once.

Trek is powered either by mains (plugs in) or by usb. £20.00 on Amazon

I think you are a little confused.

The Trek allows you to connect several devices simultaneously but using only one IP address and when you have a good signal.

The EDUP is an external wi-fi booster that helps (supposedly) when you have a weak signal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have an iboost system from motorhome wifi.co.uk
Quite expensive but improves the range relative to a Netgear device mounted outside the caravan and produces a local hotspot to which you can connect and use several devices at the same time. Hotspot connection is code protected but strong enough to share with a friend in a nearby caravan should you want to.

Be awarw though that none of these devices increase the bandwidth available and this can be fairly minimal in parts of Spain.
Many campers. Are not aware that services like Skype use some bandwidth even when not in actual use by the owner. They need to be switched off completely . Also make sure they do not form part of the start up menu.
Films are pretty greedy of bandwidth too as are VPN used as IP masks to enable e.g. BBC websites to be seen outside UK.
You can see what you are getting by using a good speed test such as www.speedtest.net

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Interesting, the OPs question threw me a bit, first it was about WiFi, then MiFi, one dependent on the site's WiFi Signal Strength from an omnidirectional antenna, the other dependent on the Mobile Phone Signal.

It really depends on what devices the OP is attempting to use, and how mobile the devices might be.

At the simplest level, your mobile phone should be able to share either WiFi or GPRS/3G/4G connectivity, using Bluetooth. An iPhone usually requires some sort of pre-arranged and paid for means to share with up to three devices on Bluetooth, but an Android Phone will likely have this facility available for free.

Buying the MiFi seems to be the belt and braces method, of having a specific device for the purpose outlined above, which requires power.

Then there's the WiFi Signal Booster, another cheap solution, which requires power.

The complicated option is to either use a WiFi Access Point as a Bridge/Switch, with the onsite WiFi, or the purchase of e WiFi Bridge/Switch, or indeed both. One such device would provide WiFi Access to the onsite Network and allow all other devices to connect using Cat5e Cables, but using two devices would allow you to share WiFi on your own Private Network, and forward this to the onsite. This all sounds more complicated than it need be, but would be more appropriate if you were a heavy data user., and had Mains.

You might also only have one device you wish to connect onsite via WiFi, which would have a simple solution if it normally used a BNC connector for gaining a WiFi Signal from a rubberised whip omnidirectional antenna.

This latter scenario could effectively be solved without using any additional power by merely connecting a length of antenna cable to where the BNC rubberised antenna normally fits, and leading that cable outside to a directional yagi 2.4GHz antenna, normally about 12 inches long and giving 13dB of gain (compared to a whip of about 3dB), with all the signal directed at the WiFi Source onsite. This can effectively give line-of-sight WiFi of miles rather than yards, you might even get better connectivity pointing your yagi at a neighbouring caravan site...

So you can see, the question is not specific enough to be able to answer, but I've outlined the various options.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello mate
thanks for the advice have bought and just had delivered
MiFi signal booster- works well
Wifi signal booster and router
both from motorhome home wifi and both devices have boosted my signals
the plan is to use free wifi as much as possible the MiFi only when we need to currently buying sim cards in Spain and paying in euro,s what you would pay pounds for for date
thanks for your advice mate

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
thanks bought two devices from motor home wifi
3/4g signal booster for Mifi
aerial booster for wifi
just set them up and working well
thanks for your time in writing advice
Ps spanish data sim cards are a lot cheaper than the Uk even going to an orange shop over here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts