Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 10 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When we had a 6 speed manual I often found 5 th was better for towing at 55/60. The rpm was higher but the engine didn’t sound laboured. I believe an engine in a higher gear , lower rpm needs a wider throttle which may use more fuel
Ideally an engine should be run at the rpm where maximum torque occurs, typically around 2,000 rpm on modern turbo engines but often disguised by flat torque curves, eg 1,700-2,500 - but some petrol engines, often Japanese, have maximum torque up at 4,500 rpm which is difficult to get economy from.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When we had a 6 speed manual I often found 5 th was better for towing at 55/60. The rpm was higher but the engine didn’t sound laboured. I believe an engine in a higher gear , lower rpm needs a wider throttle which may use more fuel
On the whole, engines run most efficiently when under full load. That would be when they develop maximum torque.

Edit: RogerL beat me to it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Subaru 2.0 turbo petrol advises using one of the two sport modes when towing. It adds a few more revs than “eco”(sic) mode. Being CVT I tend to leave it in auto mode when solo and let it do its own thing, although it does have a manual mode too. But the words Subaru and Economy are rarely used in the same sentence.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Subaru 2.0 turbo petrol advises using one of the two sport modes when towing. It adds a few more revs than “eco”(sic) mode. Being CVT I tend to leave it in auto mode when solo and let it do its own thing, although it does have a manual mode too. But the words Subaru and Economy are rarely used in the same sentence.
When I had my 2006 Subaru Outback, one of the Subaru transmission engineers from Japan advised us on the forum that the transmission control unit was clever enough that it was best to leave it in "Drive" and let the control unit determine which gear/mode to use - you're right though that Subaru and Economy don't go together - although my Vauxhall Senator was even worse!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I had my 2006 Subaru Outback, one of the Subaru transmission engineers from Japan advised us on the forum that the transmission control unit was clever enough that it was best to leave it in "Drive" and let the control unit determine which gear/mode to use - you're right though that Subaru and Economy don't go together - although my Vauxhall Senator was even worse!
But did yours have CVT and three engine/gearbox modes? The eco mode which is what I normally leave it in is quite low revving and gentle unless paddled down or kicked down, fine for solo driving. When in its first sport mode the engine is more responsive in its pick up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But did yours have CVT and three engine/gearbox modes? The eco mode which is what I normally leave it in is quite low revving and gentle unless paddled down or kicked down, fine for solo driving. When in its first sport mode the engine is more responsive in its pick up.
No - mine was the original 4-speed torque converter automatic, based on the Jatco autobox but heavily modified by Subaru - my point was that Subaru's engineers are quite clever.

I also think that the Aisin engineers are quite good so I generally leave my Touareg in Drive whether solo or towing - only use Sport when I'm "exercising" the engine.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No - mine was the original 4-speed torque converter automatic, based on the Jatco autobox but heavily modified by Subaru - my point was that Subaru's engineers are quite clever.

I also think that the Aisin engineers are quite good so I generally leave my Touareg in Drive whether solo or towing - only use Sport when I'm "exercising" the engine.
Hi Roger
What it like in sport mode had my Tiguan nearly four years never tried it seem have mine in eco mode or Drive most of the time

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My Owners Manual presumably written by the some "clever" Japanese engineer(s) actually recommends using Sport mode 1 when towing. As it is a Subaru designed CVT who am I to dissent?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My Owners Manual presumably written by the some "clever" Japanese engineer(s) actually recommends using Sport mode 1 when towing. As it is a Subaru designed CVT who am I to dissent?
Ford told us the same with the Mondeo, but it did not make much difference except to fuel consumption.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Roger
What it like in sport mode had my Tiguan nearly four years never tried it seem have mine in eco mode or Drive most of the time
The Tiguan and Touareg are two totally different vehicles. Surprised that you haven’t tried Sports Mode in the Tiguan. On. My Superb with DSG it sharpened up but to be honest in its normal mode it met my needs and wasn’t a slouch.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger
In Sport mode and full throttle, I have to be very careful with speed limits as it reaches them very quickly - most turbos these days have variable geometry and the moving vanes stick if the car is driven gently all the time and can cause error codes which usually need a new turbo to fix - "exercising" these vanes keeps them working.

In that case, use Sport Mode 1 as "instructed" - it won't necessarily be more economical but it will avoid undue stress on the engine/transmission.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Yesterdays marathon non stop drive the Touareg was in cruise control at 58 D auto. On a few occasions I noticed a change down from 8 to 7 or 6 but speed was maintained. I find the system highly intelligent and see no useful purpose using the paddles or sport mode when towing.

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Apparently our local Tesco fuel station ran out of all fuel, due to people panic buying for the week ahead.

Don't Panic Mr Manering

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A week last Friday Tesco at Cirencester and Tetbury were both out of diesel but branded outlets had some. Guess the Tesco stocks had ran out given that they were noticeably cheaper than branded even at 170.9.
My mates tell me Tesco Swindon was 5 p cheaper. No use to me 360 miles away😉

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Roger
BB, I think you should start "playing around" with all the different modes of your car, 4x4, eco, sport etc. If you don't use it you lose it.

May 12, 2019
Visit site
Since I became interested in Caravans, on a long motorway journey I tend to look at the caravans I am overtaking and on a long motorway journey of 225 miles a month ago I counted 20 caravans.
I did the same journey this Monday and only counted 2.
Perhaps the fuel costs do have something to do with it ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts