Will fuel prices limit your touring.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whoopee got pension increase of £5 but, phone , water ,food and more has gone up far more than my £5.
Managed to get two year contract renewal with EE just a few pence over previous contract price plus another 8 gig of data for mobiles. But the prices rise each March by 3.1% plus CPI. So I could be seeing a 9-10 % increase within a few weeks. But most broadband and phone providers do the same.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Even if fuel price rises can be absorbed by the user, I have a strong suspicion that as a result of world concerns about the invasion of Ukraine, not only will fuel prices rise even higher, there is a increasing possibility supplies might be restricted enough for rationing to be needed. Remember the 1970's.
Still got the ration books somewhere

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Sooo glad that I don't have to drag around one of those long fixed bed things.
Short 2 berth with end bathroom is plenty for us. After all we are camping.
and no swanning off to Frarnce or Spain so fuel increases won't bother us so much.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
and no swanning off to Frarnce or Spain so fuel increases won't bother us so much.
Some of us prefer caravans with fixed beds.
Why would you criticise something that you have no knowledge of.
We've done the tiny 2 berth thing and have now opted for comfort and more space.
Regardless of the cost of fuel, we wouldn't go back to arranging cushions, bedding etc before we went to bed at night.
As someone once said - each to their own.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Over the years i have had different combinations of caravan each offering a different experience and all valid

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Managed to get two year contract renewal with EE just a few pence over previous contract price plus another 8 gig of data for mobiles. But the prices rise each March by 3.1% plus CPI. So I could be seeing a 9-10 % increase within a few weeks. But most broadband and phone providers do the same.
I've recently reduced my sky mobile monthly payment, getting the same package but for £1.20 less.
Also saved on sky TV by getting rid of it.

Then reduced my Netflix account to around £10 by removing UHD, which I saw no real benefit.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Without doubt this will be limiting us. I recently received a pay rise at work, which in normal circumstances would have been a great one, but it's not going to cover everything that has jumped in price.
The caravan has always been a major luxury for us and things have always been tight, but we made sacrifices to make it work. But the way things are being squeezed now, and with my teacher wife unlikely to get a payrise anywhere near the rate of inflation (again) we are now undoubtedly a lot worse off than 10 years ago.
Something is going to have to give, I don't want it to be the caravan, but It's looking like it may have to be

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've recently reduced my sky mobile monthly payment, getting the same package but for £1.20 less.

Then reduced my Netflix account to around £10 by removing UHD, which I saw no real benefit.
My scope for those savings is limited as never had Sky Tv, have basic Netflix which I keep saying we should ditch, mobiles only cost £6 pm each as I’m an old 121, T-Mobile loyal customer. 😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

When we had our new detached home we had to have Sky dish and broadband and we could not get cable what a difference it made moving into our bungalow we are saving £40 a month on virgin media

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Going to try the Morrisons offer, but with Tesco very near I suspect they may be a couple of pence more to try and cover some of this.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Some of us prefer caravans with fixed beds.
Why would you criticise something that you have no knowledge of.
We've done the tiny 2 berth thing and have now opted for comfort and more space.
Regardless of the cost of fuel, we wouldn't go back to arranging cushions, bedding etc before we went to bed at night.
As someone once said - each to their own.
And why would you assume that I have no knowledge of fixed beds We used to have one and my son has one now.
Our van is not tiny at 1350kg and the 5 minutes or so putting up the bed is well worth it for a much larger bed.
Nothing wrong with bigger vans I just don't see the point of pulling around a boudoir.
As you say, Each to his own

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Going to try the Morrisons offer, but with Tesco very near I suspect they may be a couple of pence more to try and cover some of this.
Be wary of being tempted to go out of your way for what seems like a better fuel price, if you work out how much it actually costs you to drive per mile, most people I think will find its in excess of 10P, If your mileage to and from the cheaper pumps will quickly swallow up any potential savings per litre.

Reactions: Dustydog and Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The length of a caravan makes little difference to fuel consumption, it's the big frontal area where the energy is used.

Reactions: Dustydog and Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Be wary of being tempted to go out of your way for what seems like a better fuel price, if you work out how much it actually costs you to drive per mile, most people I think will find its in excess of 10P, If your mileage to and from the cheaper pumps will quickly swallow up any potential savings per litre.
It also depends of the size of fuel tank, or at least how much you need to fill it.

My local Morrisons is 1p more than Asda & Sainsburys but is 3 miles nearer so I was pleased with the 7p saving on 73 litres.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst the cost of fuel isn’t nice it won’t really affect any of our travel plans. But what is having an effect is the cost of meals out. These have gone up significantly and so instead of a pint plus a large Malbec I now just have the beer as I can’t reconcile Malbec at anywhere between £8.5 to £9.95 for a 250 ml glass. If required I can always buy a decent Malbec, or other wine at our local supermarkets for less than what the pubs are charging. Friends are making similar decisions too, and only having two courses instead of three. Waistlines will benefit hopefully.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
And why would you assume that I have no knowledge of fixed beds We used to have one and my son has one now.
Our van is not tiny at 1350kg and the 5 minutes or so putting up the bed is well worth it for a much larger bed.
Nothing wrong with bigger vans I just don't see the point of pulling around a boudoir.
As you say, Each to his own
Your 3
And why would you assume that I have no knowledge of fixed beds
The disparaging tone of your comment about
'those long fixed bed things' led to that assumption.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
The length of a caravan makes little difference to fuel consumption, it's the big frontal area where the energy is used.
You are right of course and lets not forget the weight and the rear vacuum drag, although this is much worse at higher speeds than we would normally be doing.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
I have but they were for a Raleigh Runabout Moped.
Mine are for a Ford consul gas guzzler. Still have driving licences from the 50s, little hardback books with green stick on labels in. All in my full of cr*p drawer as tother half calls it.😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts