Will I need a smart phone in the future?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Calling it a “ mindset” is about the same as saying to someone with depression “ just man up and stay positive “.

Far from it, definitely not my take; my definition is that "mindset is what you believe in yourself", which aligns very much what your reference tries to portray.

Diminishing confidence, is in itself "a belief in oneself", perfectly fitting "mindset" rather than actually the inability to do it.

Quoting:
The best way to regain confidence is to remind yourself of your capabilities, address the obstacles that keep you from feeling confident, and work around those obstacles.

Another reason older adults lose confidence is ageism — the socially pervasive idea that you are too old to do certain activities.

In fact, studies have found that age stereotypes can diminish older adults' ability to perform tasks even if they possess the proper skills.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A couple of years ago, In the days when we could sit at the bar in a pub supping a pint. A fairly wealthy friend of mine was complaining that his watch ( a Cartier) was too slack on his wrist. Wifey pipes up, Oh Hutch will sort that out for you. So after another pint, of Fursty Ferret, I *** home and come back with my jewllers screwdrivers. And promptly take apart his watch strap. And remove a link. On top of a piece of kitchen paper, just putting the last screws in , I thought , if I had dropped one of these screws, his strap would be bugxxed. They must be about £50 each. A wonderfull bit of engineering.

Just keep your confidence and carry on,

Now who keeps the TV remote next to the TV.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A couple of years ago, In the days when we could sit at the bar in a pub supping a pint. A fairly wealthy friend of mine was complaining that his watch ( a Cartier) was too slack on his wrist. Wifey pipes up, Oh Hutch will sort that out for you. So after another pint, of Fursty Ferret, I *** home and come back with my jewllers screwdrivers. And promptly take apart his watch strap. And remove a link. On top of a piece of kitchen paper, just putting the last screws in , I thought , if I had dropped one of these screws, his strap would be bugxxed. They must be about £50 each. A wonderfull bit of engineering.

Just keep your confidence and carry on,

Now who keeps the TV remote next to the TV.
Hi Hutch my wife got Pierre Cardin watch could you put a new battery in for me you seem to be very handy with hands ? :)

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Far from it, definitely not my take; my definition is that "mindset is what you believe in yourself", which aligns very much what your reference tries to portray.

Diminishing confidence, is in itself "a belief in oneself", perfectly fitting "mindset" rather than actually the inability to do it.

Quoting:
The best way to regain confidence is to remind yourself of your capabilities, address the obstacles that keep you from feeling confident, and work around those obstacles.

Another reason older adults lose confidence is ageism — the socially pervasive idea that you are too old to do certain activities.

In fact, studies have found that age stereotypes can diminish older adults' ability to perform tasks even if they possess the proper skills.

I took your “ mindset” as being derogatory to those who couldn’t keep up with technology or weren’t even on the first rung of the ladder. The link I provided to you, which you quote back, just serves to demonstrate that you may need some form of assistance to counter the diminishing self confidence in age. But the article is great for those who are web savvy, and I might say they possibly don’t need such articles. What about those many people who have had no real exposure to this technology, may not have social contacts or relatives to help them counter the “ mindset” . How are they to be helped?

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
You don’t need a smart phone but it makes everyday life so much easier, I’m in my 60’s and for me it is essential and I would be lost without it.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I do work for a number of car insurance companies fitting the black box for young drivers, without an iPhone I would not be able to do any work at all.

BP

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Well this 78 year old ‘dinosaur’ won’t have/use a smart phone. I do have a mobile phone -- but that’s for ‘talking’ on. Now there’s a novelty! Computer literate? Oh yes. Did a course on computer language at Sheffield Uni in 1968, when main frame computers were the size of ‘cathedrals’ and have used and worked on computers ever since in my jobs. From simple programme writing to data analysis of industrial ‘stuff’. Still have 4 at home, - couple of laptops, couple of towers, and yes they do get used. Can do all I need to do on them, (everything?) Do have a ‘pay as you go’ mobile which could be used for internet if required, but never been switched on/registered and never will be, but only family have the number to it, and do you know I can walk down the street without looking at it! (If I could walk down the street) and very rarely comes out of my pocket, have to use it once every ‘blue moon’ or the company cut it off. Suppose they think I’ve died. No I won’t pay for a smart phone/mini computer would be a total waste of brass to me. Besides the older you get the less folks there is to talk to and less that want to.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Besides the older you get the less folks there is to talk to and less that want to.

No dont accept that. How else can the kids get in touch when they need money, car is broken, son-in-law wants to borrow lose tools.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No dont accept that. How else can the kids get in touch when they need money, car is broken, son-in-law wants to borrow lose tools.
If only the lack of a smart phone would stop them - they'll find a way when they need you - but strange how their phones don't respond when you phone them!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
......But, IN DEFENCE of SMARTPHONES

I know many of you are elderly, have an illness or a disability. A smartphone should be of real use:

You can use Google Maps to track you, so that your relatives can find you if taken ill.
You can bring in the emergency services using THREE LIITLE WORDS
Instant access to your prescriptions and medical records
Prove you have been double jabbed
Send digital copies of documents when needed
Convert virtualy anything in size weight or distance
Find the best TV signal for you Grocklebox
Buy every bit of caravan related garbage that you dont need from the Amazon app.
And you can be a moderator on a caravan forum using a smartphone 😉
I'm currently camped off grid at Twinwood Arena waiting for the annual music festival to begin.
I used to bring my laptop complete with dongle to use the internet.
I bought my Samsung Galaxy smartphone via Tesco's, so after it was paid for I went Sim free.
I now get unlimited texts and calls plus 50gb of data for £15 per month.
My other half is tethered to my mobile hotspot for her tablet, which she uses to access Facebook.
All that I use my laptop for at home now is music notation, to convert musical scores to sound as a rehearsal aid for our choirs.
I don't bring it on holiday.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i have a mobile phone but not a smart phone it a big button basic simple easy to use but just lately there is a fault and when someone ringing my phone i cannot hear them and it the same the other way i would like to get it mended apart from that it has been great . I am thinking of taking it to my local market and see if they can correct it .:)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Well i have a mobile phone but not a smart phone it a big button basic simple easy to use but just lately there is a fault and when someone ringing my phone i cannot hear them and it the same the other way i would like to get it mended apart from that it has been great . I am thinking of taking it to my local market and see if they can correct it .:)

For this sort if price is it worth it. Probably be dearer to fix the old one. And it comes with a new battery.

John

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In most cases, although it says it may inhibit other apps, its cobblers, just as when you install a thrid party app that states it needs access to your contacts and pictures. Personally I would turn the app off and see if it caused an issue.

Remember, that when you buy/rent a smartphone from a major company, they have been paid to bundle that garbage in with the operating system, but buying the phone direct from say Samsung or Apple cuts a lot of that out, not all, but a lot. I am always stunned, my parents included, that have a contract phone, and at the end of two years, carry on paying the same price because they like and are comforatble with the phone. In two years, you have bought the phone and then some, so why not then go sim only and cut the price to a fraction.

In our case, we both have Samsung, my wife has the Galaxy, I have the Note 10+ 5G. Having bought the phones, with a discount from BT with broadband, we pay £15 for unlimited calls and texts with 200gb data. £20 for my phone with unlimited texts and calls, and UNLIMITED data. This I use in the caravan for wifi, simply creating a hotspot and everything else feeds off it. It would cost me that for a sim only to put in a caravan wifi unit with far less data.

But, IN DEFENCE of SMARTPHONES

I know many of you are elderly, have an illness or a disability. A smartphone should be of real use:

You can use Google Maps to track you, so that your relatives can find you if taken ill.
Buy every bit of caravan related garbage that you dont need from the Amazon app.

My issue is that I am a bit paranoid about security which is why I will not use any banking app or similar. I don't even have my phone set up for my normal email although I do receive Gmail. I refuse to have Facebook on my phone and that was one of the first apps I shut down!
I do use the map facility as it is brilliant but means the phone is tracking your movements. I use it to find places and then input the address into my Satnav rather than use the directions Google supply. I will only use the Internet app when absolutely necessary.
I don't like text because if you cannot be bothered to talk to me why should I bother about texting you back however having said that I use Whatsapp a lot as most of my family are overseas and a call costs them a small fortune.
I guess I still fall into the bracket of I managed okay before so what is different now. :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have one of those that I bought for my Dad. It does not have a camera. I also have an old Nokia N95. They are cluttering up a drawer.
You can have either or both. If interested I can leave them with the owner of Turbles for you to collect when you visit so no necessity to meet up if you want to keep you.r privacy. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My issue is that I am a bit paranoid about security which is why I will not use any banking app or similar. I don't even have my phone set up for my normal email although I do receive Gmail. I refuse to have Facebook on my phone and that was one of the first apps I shut down!
I do use the map facility as it is brilliant but means the phone is tracking your movements. I use it to find places and then input the address into my Satnav rather than use the directions Google supply. I will only use the Internet app when absolutely necessary.
I don't like text because if you cannot be bothered to talk to me why should I bother about texting you back however having said that I use Whatsapp a lot as most of my family are overseas and a call costs them a small fortune.
I guess I still fall into the bracket of I managed okay before so what is different now. :D
When I was in Canada for 12 months the communication to my wife and kids was a weekly airmail letter via BFPO and a short landline call at substantial cost. What I would have given for an Internet connected device of any description, smart or stupid it would not have mattered.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I use texts as we often caravan in areas with no mobile signal but most days go out somewhere where there's a signal - when it has a signal, the phone then sends/receives any outstanding texts

Reactions: JTQ
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There is a big issue with those who are not savvy enough to monitor their own security. They can be at the mercy of scammers. Otherwise I see a smart phone just as secure as my home computer or tablet. Except that it is obviously mobile. But if I use an unknown internet point, say a pub. I would never do anything that was critical. But now that data is so cheap and coverage so good, I just use my own data. The phone is secured with F-secure, (other security is available). And I can turn a VPN on if needed.

I can remember at one time we managed fine with cash and cheque books. But things move on. Recently it has be moving very very fast.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
In reply to Buckman you said you don’t text as if people can’t talk you don’t bother then you go on to say you do use WhatsApp a lot, isn’t that contradicting yourself as WhatsApp is surely just exactly texting by another name.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In reply to Buckman you said you don’t text as if people can’t talk you don’t bother then you go on to say you do use WhatsApp a lot, isn’t that contradicting yourself as WhatsApp is surely just exactly texting by another name.

It has more strings to its bow, than just texting. Voice & video calling.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have one of those that I bought for my Dad. It does not have a camera. I also have an old Nokia N95. They are cluttering up a drawer.
You can have either or both. If interested I can leave them with the owner of Turbles for you to collect when you visit so no necessity to meet up if you want to keep you.r privacy. :)
Mine has a camera so it not the same as your dad :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Mine has a camera so it not the same as your dad :)

If you Google ‘basic mobile phone’ or ‘dumb mobile phone’ there is a big choice, some with a camera, some with GPS, some with an emergency button, some with very large keys. And some will have a mixture.

Starting at around £18

Bargin!!,

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
In most cases, although it says it may inhibit other apps, its cobblers, just as when you install a thrid party app that states it needs access to your contacts and pictures. Personally I would turn the app off and see if it caused an issue.

Remember, that when you buy/rent a smartphone from a major company, they have been paid to bundle that garbage in with the operating system, but buying the phone direct from say Samsung or Apple cuts a lot of that out, not all, but a lot. I am always stunned, my parents included, that have a contract phone, and at the end of two years, carry on paying the same price because they like and are comforatble with the phone. In two years, you have bought the phone and then some, so why not then go sim only and cut the price to a fraction.

In our case, we both have Samsung, my wife has the Galaxy, I have the Note 10+ 5G. Having bought the phones, with a discount from BT with broadband, we pay £15 for unlimited calls and texts with 200gb data. £20 for my phone with unlimited texts and calls, and UNLIMITED data. This I use in the caravan for wifi, simply creating a hotspot and everything else feeds off it. It would cost me that for a sim only to put in a caravan wifi unit with far less data.

But, IN DEFENCE of SMARTPHONES

Unless I have seriously missed something, that would be WHAT 3 WORDS....

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you Google ‘basic mobile phone’ or ‘dumb mobile phone’ there is a big choice, some with a camera, some with GPS, some with an emergency button, some with very large keys. And some will have a mixture.

Starting at around £18

Bargin!!,

John
My first choice is to repair my old one because it meets all my needs and i am use to it . but thankyou for your suggestion :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts