Will I need a smart phone in the future?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB my boy . So why after 17 months is it still in the box unused 🤔🤔🤔🤔Very strange!
Because i like the mobile phone i have TTfone Lunar TT750 but there a problem i don"t know if i have press something when someone rings me i cannot hear them been thinking of taking it to have it check out .?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We don't need Cloud to view our photos on our TV? I have all my documents & photos backed up on a USB stick so see no necessity for someone else to store my data?
I to use a USB stick for everything just in case i fancy a upgrade

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We don't need Cloud to view our photos on our TV? I have all my documents & photos backed up on a USB stick so see no necessity for someone else to store my data?

Your right,the Cloud is not necessary. Just convenient, secure and trouble free, works in the background and is accessible from anywhere. But takes a fair bit of getting the head around.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I far from being a ludite, in fact the opposite since I've been messing around with electronics and computer systems since the late 60s and maybe its this that just wont let me trust putting anything sensitive into a cloud storage system that I have no control over. I encrypt locally anything sensitive and I know it would be encrypted once again on say MS Onedrive but I still can't let go of my data.

I do use them occassionaly but only for sharing stuff with friends and family, such as photos, recipes etc and these get removed after I know they've been read or downloaded.

So I keep backups locally and if we go away for an extended period of time I give the backups to friends or family to keep until we get back.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I fully understand and recpect people’s caution with regards the storage clouds. I have masses of stuff up there but nothing that I would consider as sensitive. However. I do use a password app which syncs across my devices, so therefore it follows that that data is floating about the ether in the same way. I just trust that when they tell my that it is encrypted to some mega standard that this is true. But then I also have to trust that my bank look after my data. And Amazon, Virgin, Octopus. etc etc.

The industrial stealing of data is a very big worry. Lots of companies have had leaks, BA comes to mind. There is also industrial espionage. I try not to think about it!

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Why don’t you just have the other Apple devices on iCloud but only tick the box in Settings for Photos. That effectively excludes synchronisation of other features like email, contacts, messages etc via ICloud so all that you get is Photos synchronised between devices.

It is the synchronisation across accounts which does not seem to operate, (or we haven’t got the hang of). There is a setting to share with family members but it has limitations. I think the easy answer is to all use the one account.

The only downside o that is personalisation of apps etc may be lost if a rebuild is needed (but perhaps not). I think a way around that is to use iTunes to do individual back ups. But I rather hate iTunes!

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are on a site less than a mile from Weston Super Mare and about 1/2 mile from M5. It is raining and so Internet very bad and signal is not consistent as keep dropping out and have been unable to access anything. Not sure why signal should be so bad.
Strangely enough phones come up with 4G and 2 bars and sometimes even 4 bars intermittently, but no Internet. Rebooted my phone still the same. Really weird. Good job I store my data on USB so can still access the data.
Very frustrating as have to go off site to connect. Not sure if this post will arrive?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We are on a site less than a mile from Weston Super Mare and about 1/2 mile from M5. It is raining and so Internet very bad and signal is not consistent as keep dropping out and have been unable to access anything. Not sure why signal should be so bad.
Strangely enough phones come up with 4G and 2 bars and sometimes even 4 bars intermittently, but no Internet. Rebooted my phone still the same. Really weird. Good job I store my data on USB so can still access the data.
Very frustrating as have to go off site to connect. Not sure if this post will arrive?
If the signal strength is marginal, rain makes it even worse as the droplets scatter the signal

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the signal strength is marginal, rain makes it even worse as the droplets scatter the signal
Digital and almost line of sight to transmitter plux it is very flat around here? They are thinking about 6G but in over 80% of the UK you are lucky to get 4G! Where we live we get 0G!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Digital and almost line of sight to transmitter plux it is very flat around here? They are thinking about 6G but in over 80% of the UK you are lucky to get 4G! Where we live we get 0G!
Have we missed out then on 5 G? Most times I’d settle for a reliable 3G or 4G fir calls and messages when I’m out, as data usage when away from home is minimal and at home it’s WiFi.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just been checking details of the place we are going to on bonfire weekend they provide WiFi good job my dongle is only 4G on EE

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have we missed out then on 5 G? Most times I’d settle for a reliable 3G or 4G fir calls and messages when I’m out, as data usage when away from home is minimal and at home it’s WiFi.
Both our phones are 4G and even if we had 5G phones still no signal. I think the government should have thought about forcing providers to upgrade 3G coverage across the whole of the UK before they even allowed providers to purchase licences for 4 & 5G to be bought. Maybe then we would all have decent coverage right across the UK.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Latest update now using my Doro 6620 latest micro sim card it contract free 7GB for ÂŁ10 unlimited minutes and texts so far very happy with it the other mobile phone keeping it if needed .:cool:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Latest update now using my Doro 6620 latest micro sim card it contract free 7GB for ÂŁ10 unlimited minutes and texts so far very happy with it the other mobile phone keeping it if needed .:cool:

Not good value, I could recommend these people. And you only contract for 1 month. I am in my third month and find the service excellent.

6C25E1C5-459D-4A32-A8EA-93619E696E84.jpeg
John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not good value, I could recommend these people. And you only contract for 1 month. I am in my third month and find the service excellent.

View attachment 2276
John
Hi John that might be good deal but does the micro sim card come already cut because the person had to put it in for me and it contract free and i prefer PAYG ten pounds usually last me three months

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi John that might be good deal but does the micro sim card come already cut because the person had to put it in for me and it contract free and i prefer PAYG ten pounds usually last me three months

It comes as a 3 size card, you just push out the required size. I thought your post %#138 you meant it was ÂŁ7 per month.

Who are they piggy backing on?

As OC said, the “three” network.

I chose it because Marj is on Virgin. Which could be Vodafone or O2. As they are transitioning. I wanted us to be on different networks for a better chance of coverage. Right now at Honiton, I only get 3G but she gets 4G. So we just use hers for the hot spot.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i might go back to the O2 Shop and ask them to put this one in it The Classic in the micro sim card size 3p a minute 2p text 1p a MB it PAYG

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It comes as a 3 size card, you just push out the required size. I thought your post %#138 you meant it was ÂŁ7 per month.

As OC said, the “three” network.

I chose it because Marj is on Virgin. Which could be Vodafone or O2. As they are transitioning. I wanted us to be on different networks for a better chance of coverage. Right now at Honiton, I only get 3G but she gets 4G. So we just use hers for the hot spot.

John
Hi John that the problem i have been getting you push out the required size well i did that and it would not work . so that why i took to a O2 Shop and let them do it ;)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

View attachment 2276
John
I am with Three and pay ÂŁ20 per month for unlimited data, calls and texts so it seems to be the same deal. Unfortunately cannot use it at home due to poor signal. Here in Somerset signal also poor.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It's not just about price but also about service. If you go to the main mobile operators such as EE, Three then thats the service you get. If you go with the cheaper Mobile Virtuale Network Operators such as Tesco, Asda, Smarty,etc then you need to check what provider they are using to ensure you get best coverage.

Equally, you have to be aware that MVNO's that may sit on the back of EE for example can at anytime change their provider. For a good while we used a PAYG from Asda because it was cheap but also used EE which is one of only two providers we can get a signal from at home - sometimes. Then Asda decided to switch to Vodafone as provider and we could not get any signal from them, so we switched to someone else.

My phone can accomadate two sims so I can use EE and Three which are the only two services we get at home and in most places we visit.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I use O2 and only pay just under ÂŁ13 a month. I get unlimited texts, more minutes than I need and enough data to get me through a three week holiday. I possibly could save a bit on that but the sums involved do not justify the effort.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
FWIW: I use Plusnet, which uses the EE network.

Rolling monthly charge so I can quit more or less anytime. ÂŁ6 per month. Unlimited calls and texts plus 4Gbytes data.

Key point is it works reasonably well at home so no need for unlimited call plan on home phone.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are both on O2 network and get unlimited minutes and texts plus data but we are on PAYG and top her phone up nearly every two months ÂŁ10 me every three months same price

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts