Will I need a smart phone in the future?

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Phones aren't smart. Mine just sits around most of the day and I don't see it doing anything smart. I'm the smart one. When I need to do anything with it I know what buttons to push and how to work around all the frustating apps and web sites I come across.

:)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you have everything on your Smartphone and it goes faulty, gets a virus or even goes flat you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle or even a boat!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you have everything on your Smartphone and it goes faulty, gets a virus or even goes flat you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle or even a boat!

With Apple, you have a free iCloud account so you can always rebuild your phone from there.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Holding everything on the phone without any back up to another device or preferably the Cloud is nonsensical. When we go abroad all insurances, passport, visas, contacts etc and the itinerary are on the phone, with hard copies spread between suitcases and us. Which are the safer?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
With Apple, you have a free iCloud account so you can always rebuild your phone from there.

John
I understand that but you still need a working phone to access the data. Being old fashion all my photos are ed on my PC. Also all my contacts. I do not sue any banking apps etc on my smartphone as paranoid about security especially when the limit is increased to £100 on cards etc. Having been diddled out of a lot of money many years ago I am very wary now.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand that but you still need a working phone to access the data. Being old fashion all my photos are ed on my PC. Also all my contacts. I do not sue any banking apps etc on my smartphone as paranoid about security especially when the limit is increased to £100 on cards etc. Having been diddled out of a lot of money many years ago I am very wary now.
We also have been diddled and we don"t have any credit cards now only one bank that has debit account and that it

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

If the phone is broken it needs fixing or replacing, or if it was a virus, it needs rebooting to factory setting. After that it is just synced with your Apple (I think Google do the same for Android), account via the internet. I understand why people are paranoid about using banking apps, but we do all the time now. So far no problem. My sensitive data is all held encrypted in a password app.

I don’t know why OC thinks that the cloud is nonsensical. We find it works seamlessly and syncs all our devices including across platforms. I do save photos to the PC, but we are now growing far more secure with the cloud and how it works and that we have access to everything from anywhere.

I won’t pretend it is easy, getting your head around how it works takes some time. And we are still far from proficient. My grandchildren operate all these things as second nature. Almost without looking. Such is progress.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB , it doesn’t have
  • WiFi hotspot and tethering: No
    Not sure it would be any use to me whilst caravanning. Ok for phone calls I expect. These super smart things really make you and me look like dinosaurs. 😵‍💫😵‍💫
DD Just check mine up it hasn"t got wifi hotspot and tethering it only a basic phone

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the phone is broken it needs fixing or replacing, or if it was a virus, it needs rebooting to factory setting. After that it is just synced with your Apple (I think Google do the same for Android), account via the internet. I understand why people are paranoid about using banking apps, but we do all the time now. So far no problem. My sensitive data is all held encrypted in a password app.

I don’t know why OC thinks that the cloud is nonsensical. We find it works seamlessly and syncs all our devices including across platforms. I do save photos to the PC, but we are now growing far more secure with the cloud and how it works and that we have access to everything from anywhere.

I won’t pretend it is easy, getting your head around how it works takes some time. And we are still far from proficient. My grandchildren operate all these things as second nature. Almost without looking. Such is progress.

John
My post #107 doesn’t align with your understanding of what I said. Also as I keep “ documents” from the phone in the Cloud for travelling or when away from home I hardly think Cloud storage is “ nonsensical “.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My post #107 doesn’t align with your understanding of what I said. Also as I keep “ documents” from the phone in the Cloud for travelling or when away from home I hardly think Cloud storage is “ nonsensical “.

I have just re read it, and you are quite right. My understanding did not align With what you said. I had to repeat that phrase it is just so well put. 😁

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just re read it, and you are quite right. My understanding did not align With what you said. I had to repeat that phrase it is just so well put. 😁

John
John no problem. Like you I have three Apple devices synced via the ICloud. My MAC MINI OS has its Documents and Desktop folders entirely cloud based which are viewable and useable on the phone and iPad too.

When I moved to the MAC MINI and a 64 bit OS my digital pictures could not be viewed with Google Picassa which is 32 bit and no longer supported by Google. So gallery viewing and editing were out except for limited editing in Preview. I had been reluctant to totally move the pictures to Apple Photo but bit the bullet and transferred around 14000 across no problem. Now we can view our albums using screen mirroring on the tv. I also use Amazon photos too but that will wind down now. Next job is digitising our old slides and my fathers ones too along with scanning photos currently just stored in boxes.
My only key problem is that I’d like a Nokia smart phone but having once lived in the hybrid world of windows phone and Apple computers I don’t relish the same between Android and Apple devices. At least Apple works seamlessly.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I pay Apple 79 p a month for virtually unlimited storage in the Cloud. Brilliant thing and I phone and pad fully syncroed. Great stuff for this old dog. So so easy👏👏👏👏👏👏

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The price of progress eh!.

I'm sure like many of you I've travelled in pre- internet times, pre-mobile phone times, when my driving license was a little red book and my passport was blue. Airline tickets came on waxy looking redish paper with numerous indecipherable codes. There was no Red, Green or Blue channel at customs. When you went to the US of A you didn't need to have your fingerprints taken or your eyballs scanned. You could rent a car with just your license and some real money and not have to log onto a web site to get a code to prove you have a clean license and you didn't need to know your NI Number.

You could actually make all your travel plans by actually speaking to someone. Telephones were made of black bakelite and you didn't need a ruler or set of scales to work out the cost of a postage stamp. And the postman came twice a day.

You could actually get to see your bank manager and the Post Office didn't need to hand out anti-depressants because the queues were so long. BT had Busby and none of the myriads of calling plans, bolt ons and nuisance calls. Electricty and gas came in one flavour only and water wasn't supplied by a bunch of sharks.

So I travelled the world with just a few bits of paper and my luggage always seemed to get there at the same time. Nowadays we're talking about the wonders of having all this 'paperwork' on a smartphone and then also having paper copies, ( which we only ever had in the good old days,) in case the phone has no signal, dies, gets stolen, hacked or the battery goes flat. We talk about backing up our data to the cloud when all the bits of paper used to go in a shoebox or if you were rich a filing cabinet. Our photos went in albums or shoeboxes. We worry about encrypting our data when all the old bits of paper could be read by anyone who got hold of them.

Technology - don't you just love it :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
John no problem. Like you I have three Apple devices synced via the ICloud. My MAC MINI OS has its Documents and Desktop folders entirely cloud based which are viewable and useable on the phone and iPad too.

When I moved to the MAC MINI and a 64 bit OS my digital pictures could not be viewed with Google Picassa which is 32 bit and no longer supported by Google. So gallery viewing and editing were out except for limited editing in Preview. I had been reluctant to totally move the pictures to Apple Photo but bit the bullet and transferred around 14000 across no problem. Now we can view our albums using screen mirroring on the tv. I also use Amazon photos too but that will wind down now. Next job is digitising our old slides and my fathers ones too along with scanning photos currently just stored in boxes.
My only key problem is that I’d like a Nokia smart phone but having once lived in the hybrid world of windows phone and Apple computers I don’t relish the same between Android and Apple devices. At least Apple works seamlessly.

We find it is not all problem free. We have 4 Apple devices and 1 PC. iCloud is fine on the PC. But we have 1 phone linked to a free cloud address, and the other, plus two iPads to a different paid for account. This is so the odd phone can have its own backup just in case a rebuild is needed, but we want the photos to be fully accessible. I keep on meaning to go to the Apple store in Cribbs to find an answer. My son has the same problem, and his job is in the procurement and installation of main frames. So has some idea of what he is talking about.

We also have Amazon Prime for photos. I find this much better than iCloud to navigate. But. As the nice people at Apple put videos and photos in the same folder, they all get backed up to the Prime account. But you then have to edit this all the time as there is a limit on videos and ‘live pictures’.

The best Cloud account I have found is DropBox. But it’s expencive.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But it was brand new April 2020 Doro 6620 i brought it for one reason it got big buttons and screen 2.8 it has GPS and camera 4 x digital zoom it will suit my needs that what is important to me :)
BB my boy . So why after 17 months is it still in the box unused 🤔🤔🤔🤔Very strange!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We find it is not all problem free. We have 4 Apple devices and 1 PC. iCloud is fine on the PC. But we have 1 phone linked to a free cloud address, and the other, plus two iPads to a different paid for account. This is so the odd phone can have its own backup just in case a rebuild is needed, but we want the photos to be fully accessible. I keep on meaning to go to the Apple store in Cribbs to find an answer. My son has the same problem, and his job is in the procurement and installation of main frames. So has some idea of what he is talking about.

We also have Amazon Prime for photos. I find this much better than iCloud to navigate. But. As the nice people at Apple put videos and photos in the same folder, they all get backed up to the Prime account. But you then have to edit this all the time as there is a limit on videos and ‘live pictures’.

The best Cloud account I have found is DropBox. But it’s expencive.

John
Why don’t you just have the other Apple devices on iCloud but only tick the box in Settings for Photos. That effectively excludes synchronisation of other features like email, contacts, messages etc via ICloud so all that you get is Photos synchronised between devices.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We don't need Cloud to view our photos on our TV? I have all my documents & photos backed up on a USB stick so see no necessity for someone else to store my data?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts