Wiltshire (relatively) Newbies

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi, we started caravanning with a 1991 ABI Award Transtar back in Oct 2005 so see if we liked it and whether my hubby would like towing. We absolutely love all aspects of it!

We changed both our 'van and towcar recently and now have a Bailey Senator Vermont which we bought in August last year.

As soon as one holiday is over I'm planning the next one (or two)! We now get to have around 4 or 5 holidays (inc short breaks) a year as we save so much money compared to previous holidays spent in static 'vans.

I would recommend it to anyone - don't knock it until you've actually tried it!

We've been to Dorset (Weymouth and Wareham area), Cornwall (near St. Austell), Hampshire, Wales (Tenby area), Somerset (Dulverton area and Brean) and are venturing to Bamburgh, Northumberland at the end of July this year.

We would welcome any advice or tips, especially with the journey up to Bamburgh as it'll be the furthest we've towed.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

We have never really been too keen on Baileys but having seen the 2008 Vermont we both loved it. If we had the money we would get it tomorrow but that's not to be just yet.

Similar to you, we use to rent cottages for our holidays and it was expensive so bought a caravan. Our first caravan was a 99 Abbey GTS Vogue 215 and after 9 months we decided this was the life so bought a new Abbey. Since then we have been from John O Groats to Penzance. Just waiting for Her Ladyship to finish work now and then we will be going further afield for a few months at a time hopefully :O)

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forum.

We have never really been too keen on Baileys but having seen the 2008 Vermont we both loved it. If we had the money we would get it tomorrow but that's not to be just yet.

Similar to you, we use to rent cottages for our holidays and it was expensive so bought a caravan. Our first caravan was a 99 Abbey GTS Vogue 215 and after 9 months we decided this was the life so bought a new Abbey. Since then we have been from John O Groats to Penzance. Just waiting for Her Ladyship to finish work now and then we will be going further afield for a few months at a time hopefully :O)
We didn't think we could afford a Senator as my other half didn't like the Ranger or the Pageant's particularly. We got lucky though with a 2002 model and so far so good.

We both work full time so really look forward to our hols, R&R and sightseeing. Finishing work's a very long way off for us as we're only in our mid 30s and early 40s!

You've made me envious now!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We've come to caravanning in the same way as you - we got sick of paying through the nose for statics and being disappointed by the standard of so-called luxury or Gold accommodation. Now we've got our own little palace on wheels and we've got 6 holidays booked already this year. We've only had 1 holiday so far as we collected the caravan at October half term but we both took to it like fish to water. Claire actually spent 3 hours in the caravan this weekend giving it a bit of a fettle and really enjoyed herself - she doesn't get anywhere near the pleasure from cleaning the house!

We went to Berwick for our first trip and visited Bamburgh Castle. The beach there is absolutely beautiful. We think you'll find that the journey is ok as it's mostly A1 and quite an easy tow. We're from Sheffield so Northumberland isn't actually that far for us but guessing you're from the South from the trips you've had already. Loved the area so much that we're off to Alnwick at Easter.

Regards

Claire & Rob

Geist AK495 and Zafira cdti

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. We've come to caravanning in the same way as you - we got sick of paying through the nose for statics and being disappointed by the standard of so-called luxury or Gold accommodation. Now we've got our own little palace on wheels and we've got 6 holidays booked already this year. We've only had 1 holiday so far as we collected the caravan at October half term but we both took to it like fish to water. Claire actually spent 3 hours in the caravan this weekend giving it a bit of a fettle and really enjoyed herself - she doesn't get anywhere near the pleasure from cleaning the house!

We went to Berwick for our first trip and visited Bamburgh Castle. The beach there is absolutely beautiful. We think you'll find that the journey is ok as it's mostly A1 and quite an easy tow. We're from Sheffield so Northumberland isn't actually that far for us but guessing you're from the South from the trips you've had already. Loved the area so much that we're off to Alnwick at Easter.

Regards

Claire & Rob

Geist AK495 and Zafira cdti
Hi Claire & Rob

I agree - statics are overpriced and I'm amazed by how many people pay in excess of

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ingieschick

You will enjoy your travels without doubt.

We're off to Seaview, a CC site at Berwick Upon Tweed in may. We'll spend a week there and gradually move down to Whitby and the North Yorks Moors taking in a few days at Durham.

We live in North Wiltshire and have done the Berwick run many times.

We load the van the day before and then leave about 7.00am. It's about 350 miles and with stops etc we usually get there by 3.00pm ish. Other times we have split the journey stopping at York for a few days. I just love the city and its museums.

Cheers

Alan

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Ingjeschick,

Welcome to the world of caravanning.

Wiltshire to Bamburgh is an easy journey.

I would go as follows:-

M5--M42--M1--M18--A1(M)--A1--A1(M)--A1 to Bamburgh.

With no hold ups you could keep 60mph up most of the way.

If you need an overnight stop try the Caravan Club site, Hargill House, on the A66 about 2 miles from Scotch Corner.Full facility site and only 2 miles out of your way.

We love the Northumberland coast, Quiet peacefull and quite stunning views and nice villages.

Hamer

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Greetings & welcome to the forum.

Unlike some of the others we got into caravanning only because it was the only holiday we could afford.But now many years later we choose to caravan.I've said it before it is the best way of holidaying.

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the all the advice. We'd estimated it would be around 8hrs+ towing with stops and hope to travel up overnight so may well stop off to break the journey.

The atmosphere amongst campers and caravanners is so different compared to the holidays we've spent hiring static caravans - we've yet to meet any unsociable fellow caravanners! Everyone is so friendly and helpful and we've picked up some useful advice and tips. It's so much more affordable and we also get to holiday in peak season and Bank Holidays if we want to now.

We hope, like many of the Forum contributors that we have many more years of caravanning and touring to come!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts