Winch operated spare wheels on Bailey caravans

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Readers will recall several threads about the Alko carrier some time ago. I think it would be fair to say the general view was these were pretty poor. At the time I wrote to Alko and some months later have received a reply. This basically defends the design, as you would expect, but also recognise s the problems and indicates the matter is under review.
The writer, Head of Engineering Alko UK is not enthusiastic about the winch solution, having had a poor experience with one fitted to his (unspecified) car which suffered cable shearing..
Given the relatively large number of cars ( against caravans) which have these fittings I wonder what the failure rate actually is, and also what the experience of those with Bailey vans has been.
The Bailey topped winch seems to have the winding mechanism connection in the same housing as the cable drum, whereas some cars have the winding connection away from this, presumably to get it to the side rather than centre of boot or load space. This may complicate the mechanism ?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
When I was at work I had access to our workshops use of the pit and ramp etc also the workshop equipment, my point, I'm sure I could engineer a spare wheel carrier of my design to fit between the rear of the caravan chassis which would be easy to access, I just don't know what the likes of Alko are doing with with Alko carrier when it is simple enough to come up with a solution,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
In our Xplore 302, the spare wheel is in the front locker. Best place. Before anyone has an apoplexy over noseweight, the van has a rear kitchen and rear corner washroom, so it balances it out. I am working with very short distances from the pivot here. :p
Hope someone comes up with a better marketed design than Alko.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Space under fixed bed is premium storage space already allocated to all the medical stuff, foodstuffs etc etc required for long stay trips to France and Spain. Also quite difficult to manoeuvre it out through the central washroom.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Mel said:
In our Xplore 302, the spare wheel is in the front locker. Best place. Before anyone has an apoplexy over noseweight, the van has a rear kitchen and rear corner washroom, so it balances it out. I am working with very short distances from the pivot here. :p
Hope someone comes up with a better marketed design than Alko.
Mel

This is a good spot provided the weight are right. Under the bed is OK if the access is good.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have the spare under the fixed bed - still plenty of space under there for the wastemaster, chairs and other stuff; keeps the wheel clean and dry. I think the spare would fit through the exterior hatch, but i'd have to get in the van to remove it from the holder.

Last 3 cars have had a well in the boot for the space-saver spare (current car the spare wheel was a post-purchase accessory) before that I had a car which had an under-slung full-size spare which was accessed by turning a bolt in the boot with the wheel brace, which lowered the securing hook on a threaded bar. It was a pain the backside to un-hook the carrier with the weight of the tyre and reversing the process was also awkward as you had to crawl under the car. Much easier to empty the boot and lift out the spare.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I have the spare under the fixed bed - still plenty of space under there for the wastemaster, chairs and other stuff; keeps the wheel clean and dry. I think the spare would fit through the exterior hatch, but i'd have to get in the van to remove it from the holder.

Last 3 cars have had a well in the boot for the space-saver spare (current car the spare wheel was a post-purchase accessory) before that I had a car which had an under-slung full-size spare which was accessed by turning a bolt in the boot with the wheel brace, which lowered the securing hook on a threaded bar. It was a pain the backside to un-hook the carrier with the weight of the tyre and reversing the process was also awkward as you had to crawl under the car. Much easier to empty the boot and lift out the spare.

I had a Sorento with the winch down spare wheel. It could be considered a “faff” but less so than emptying a full load of luggage and kit out when it’s raining.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
bertieboy1 said:
Hello,
What is a winch operated spare wheel - I've never heard of this ! - mind you I don't get out much !

It sits under the car external to the floor pan. Just inside the rear load area will be a point where the winch handle engages with the mechanism. Turn the handle to lower it and the cable holding the tyre up against the vehicle floor will start to lower the tyre downwards. Fitted to Gen 1 Sorento and I think to Disco 3-4.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts