wind breakers

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Afternoon all

No, this isnt a thread about flatulence, do any of you use a windbreaker when out and about?
if you do, lets see some recommendations please.

Regards

Kevin

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello Kevin ,
Nothing wrong with a bit wind :sick: :lol:
We use one , but only when we go away for the annual holidays or a week , not just for a weekend, it's up in the loft at the minute but keep a lookout at Aldi as we got ours from there I think it was a round about £24.99 and it's a decent one and quite long . They seem to always have a bit of camping and caravan stuff in.

Craig .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It really depends what you want, from the cheap and cheerful candy striped beach type, cheap wooden poles that bend and split to the Isabella Linea, currently at £252 (for a windbreak??)

On paper the Isabella looks superb, robust and very clever, but for that price I would suffer the wind. Some time back we grabbed a couple of Outwell ones and they worked exceedingly well until madam reversed over the nearest one. It was my fault, if I hadnt wanted a pint, she wouldnt have had to drive and therefore the windbreak wouldnt have been crushed. Hows that for logic. Anyhoo
https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Outwell-Windscreen-2018/m-5002.aspx

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Like Thingy says, it depends on how much you want to spend on one.
I know I could spend £25o on something better than a windbreaker but have a look at this, similar to what we have slightly different pattern but they do not bend as they are a thick post once in .
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.aldi.co.uk/adventuridge-5-pole-windbreak/p/075878115258200&ved=2ahUKEwiE7rChqcHaAhWMIsAKHf09C3sQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1eJO0npIvoGw9_XnBC56bD

Happy shopping !!

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Is 'wind-break' the correct term? Whenever a real wind is forecast I see people scurrying to dismantle them. 'Privacy screen' seems to be what most people use them for.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Windbreak is the correct term I think but like Thingy says we use ours also for just for a shelter for the barbecue and when in France we used to put it on the front of the hedge to the front of the car to give us a bit more privacy as a lot of people do so we could concentrate on our all over tan :p :blush: !!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Kevin2306 said:
Afternoon all

No, this isnt a thread about flatulence, do any of you use a windbreaker when out and about?
if you do, lets see some recommendations please.

Regards

Kevin

We bought one about 10 years ago to take camping... used it once. It was taken down when the weather turned and never came back out the bag. We keep threatening to use it again, but so far, that hasn't happened.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is one in the garage somewhere but we have not used it for a long time. The real value is probably keeping people away from your caravan when they walk past.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Like others, I sometimes use windbreaks when we're on a longer break or at a music festival.
So far I've made do with the old style woven plastic wooden pole type, but this year I'll be buying one like This because I bought a Cadac barbecue a couple of months ago, so I'll be doing some al fresco cooking and dining if we get a summer this year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
Like others, I sometimes use windbreaks when we're on a longer break or at a music festival.
So far I've made do with the old style woven plastic wooden pole type, but this year I'll be buying one like This because I bought a Cadac barbecue a couple of months ago, so I'll be doing some al fresco cooking and dining if we get a summer this year.

How nice it must be to be so optimistic re British weather. I bought a Cadac last June and it’s only been used once, but hopefully this weekend could see all three barbecues in use, albeit in the back garden.

That windbreak looks really nice, better than my Blackpool seaside deck chair striped affair. Which lives permanently in the loft.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We try & use ours everytime we are away for , i love it . I've seen people doing the breakfast one morning at Knaresborough and it must have been about -2 but the site smelt lovely !

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Main reason is to create an area outside of the van where I can sit (if dry) and my dogs wont see passers by, They are quite docile and very well behaved but will bark if another dog passes by.u
Not worried by cost just weight and functionality.
Also, would rather one a bit like the old fashioned stripey ones but with metal poles, sort of an updated design.
Thanks for your views.

Kev

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Ours is an Isabella that my Dad bought and never used... one of the last hand-me-downs before we started to hand-me-up to him!!!! The bizarre thing about it is that it's a mesh-like material on top, so not at all private, and the wind blows straight through it!!!!!! The one we've got is definitely not worth the £200+ he paid for it!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having tried the rest etc. ......I eventually bought Jormax . Not sure if they are still available but ours have now done 6 or 7 long stays in Spain and weeks in Provence Haut Alpes. They do not have or need guy liness and have stood up to gale force winds without problems. The poles are thick walled alu,minium tubing with a turned steel spike at the bottom. The .'fabric' is heavy gauge plastic and there are stretcher bars along the top between the poles. You can also buy gate sections and I'm told they are in great demand by those who take dogs to shows. Not cheap.
We have now downsized due to age and infirmary from a porch awning to a Fiamma Caravanstore plus windbreaks plus a small cooking tent which doses not give quite the same facility as before but with much less pegging down and general fuss, and we can now just take the windbreaks, or windbreaks plus pull out etc according to where we are going etc.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We've got an Outwell one, bit like in Parksy's link. On ours you don't hammer the poles into the ground they only go in a short way on a small spike. The thing stays up by it being tensioned by guys on each end and then on each poles with the guys pulling in alternate directions. All in all there is a knack to putting it up, and a fair amount of pegging of guys in the process. It is handy you keep the breeze off the cadac, (cadacs don't like a breeze), but only worthwhile on a longer holiday.
Would I buy one again.? Probably not.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I used one of these, yes expensive but will outlast the "beach"type used it to keep dog at bay, but he is as soft as now and wont even leave the pitch, Son's using it this year camping with his doggy,
Windbreak here

IMG_3616.jpg

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I left a wind break pitched overnight and the wind got so strong the poles started to flap around and made several dents on the side of my previous Abbey GT415

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We have the Kampa pro windbreak, very much like the one posted by Gagakev.
Plus sides
Its very sturdy, and provided it's up correctly won't blow over in a stiff breeze like some
We can hang wetsuits over it to dry
The 4-legged child can't get underneath

Downsides
1, it's heavy
2, We'd only use it for longer stays due to it being a bit of an exercise to put up (plus Keswick club site don't allow windbreaks which is a shame)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have the
vision
windbreaks mainly to keep the dogs in a confined, but not small space plus to stop people cutting through our pitch. We also have the gate so quite posh. Expensive we we have had them since 2011 and they still look like new.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts