window leaking a bit - help!!

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
i am completely new to this caravan lark so please bare with me, with all the rain today my side front window seal has started leaking - could someone explain to me step by step how to replace the seal (it looks ok not brittle just not sealing fully at the top)or would it be possible to repair the old one in some way.

any help would be brilliant as i have to go and check it every now and again and ring the jay cloths out :eek:)

cheers lee ( l.broadbent2@ntlworld.com )

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Are you really sure it is coming in via a window.To replace the seal is really quite straight forward.Remove the three catchs on the framework(not the window)then pull off the plastic surround,then you will see the seal is put on with a million staples price these off and then the seal should pull off.Replace the same way and when you buy the length you want,its already got the mastic in the seal and when in place then either staple or tack it in place and then replace the plastic insert.(hair dryer is handy here)Dont forget to replace the catchs,and check the outside of the seal for leaks,Good luck,I have done a front end rebuid on my van only last year,

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
many thanks for your advice it stopped raining last night for about 10 minutes so i dried it all off and had a good look - there doesnt seem much to it when you have a good look!

kind regards lee

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Sorry to hear about your seal leaking.Yes youll probably find the seal is ok to re use after removing it as described earlier.But make sure you do the job ASAP because otherwise the water will creep its way into the inner boarding and blister,warp and make it rot.Making for difficult and expensive repairs and thats if you can get board to match your existing.

I had a seal letting in water at the top which ran inside the seal only to leak out at the bottom blisterring the board in the process.I stipped the old seal out ,scraped and cleaned the old mastic of and re-sealed it using Nail+Seal available from B+Q etc.Make sure you use plenty of sealant both inside the rubber seal and around the frame-all around particularly at the top.IT is unlikely to be leaking in at the place you see it running out. Hope this helps Regards Richard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts