Windows 10 help

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Message for the pc experts on here, I’ve got windows 10 home S, I’m not keen on having S active but if I turn S off I need a decent virus protection program, what’s recommended by people at decent prices, possibly that can be used for 2 laptops, I’m sure there are some clever people on here that will know exactly what I’m talking about on here.

BP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The trouble is you can't know how good they are until they let something through. For what its worth I use two free ones Avast and Kaspersy, and so far they have OK.

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you have Virgin, you can get F-Secure cheap. Works well and is not intrusive. It come with a good password manager and will work on 5 devices including mobile.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Message for the pc experts on here, I’ve got windows 10 home S, I’m not keen on having S active but if I turn S off I need a decent virus protection program, what’s recommended by people at decent prices, possibly that can be used for 2 laptops, I’m sure there are some clever people on here that will know exactly what I’m talking about on here.

BP

I'm not very familiar with Win 10 S so presumably if you've turn off S mode you've reverted back to the regular version of Win10.

In which case the in built Windows Defender AV program is regarded as very good these days and should be all you need.

First line of defence though is always the user being sensible over what's downloaded and installed and what links you click on in emails.

That said I rely on Windows Defender for real time monitoring but also have Malewarebytes (Free) installed which I can run on demand. This just adds a belt to my braces.

There is a premium paid for version of Malewarebytes and you could use this instead of Windows Defender but how intrusive it is on system performance I can't say. You certainly don't need to have more than one active AV program.

Reactions: Robert_374373903
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have used McAfee Total Protection for years but buy a new retail package every year as hugely cheaper than the auto renew from the company. These days you get a card folder with a scratch off code inside which allows download from the website (earlier versions were provided on disc). You can buy versions for single or multiple installation. If you (or others) use it don't forget to click the box to stop the auto renewal as you install, although without providing credit card details I'm not sure how you would be charged!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Take your pick from this list...

Back in the dark ages of early Windows - 95/98/XP etc the in built av program wasn't highly rated and a whole host of independent av programs sprung up. In recent years though Windows Defender is up there with the rest of the independents.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Heads up. If you have online banking or the banking apps, or BT broadband etc, you will probably be entitled to a free Internet Security package, Usually from Macafee. However, I find windows own variant more than usefull, especially when backed up by the free anti malware and anti spyware programms. Malwarebytes do an excellent job, even the free version.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Kaspersky is regarded as one of the best - I've used it for maybe 15 years and never had any virus issues.

Shop around, you should be able to get a 1 machine 1 year package for well less than £20.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips I’ll be looking to make a decision ASAP, I’m still in S mode, I didn’t realise it came with s mode switched on until I tried to download google maps and it flagged up to say can’t download it while s mode is active, I make good use of google maps but haven’t looked to see if I can get it through the Microsoft store but I doubt it.
BP

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Got 3 laptops and 2 desktops all run on AVG free, only time I've had a virus was when I was paying for Norton! -- many years ago now - run AVG since and no problems .
1617027335144.png

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We use BT which has Mcafee plus as said by another, Windows defender is also ok. Windows for Dummies is excellent book for all aspects of Windows 10. Bought one ages ago and still find useful hints.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Windows 10's own Defender, running with the Malwarebytes Premuim that comes as a multi machine freebie with a Natwest banking account.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Kaspersky is regarded as one of the best - I've used it for maybe 15 years and never had any virus issues.

Shop around, you should be able to get a 1 machine 1 year package for well less than £20.

Yes. Kaspersky for many years and happy with it.

The only caveat is don't be tempted to auto-renew or succumb to the frequent reminders approaching the end of the year. If you do then you'll be paying at least double the amount you need to pay.

Kaspersky is available (Internet Security version and not the basic Anti Virus) for around £10.00. Wait until the day before the current licence runs out and buy a new one from an independent provider - NOT directly from Kaspersky.

You get exactly the same software and everything that purchasers directly from Kaspersky get - "My Ksaspersky" membership and so on.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Yes. Kaspersky for many years and happy with it.

The only caveat is don't be tempted to auto-renew or succumb to the frequent reminders approaching the end of the year. If you do then you'll be paying at least double the amount you need to pay.

Kaspersky is available (Internet Security version and not the basic Anti Virus) for around £10.00. Wait until the day before the current licence runs out and buy a new one from an independent provider - NOT directly from Kaspersky.

You get exactly the same software and everything that purchasers directly from Kaspersky get - "My Ksaspersky" membership and so on.

+1

You don't need to buy the day before - just load it the day before, but you can buy it months before if you wish.

If you have more than one item - tablet, phone or whatever - you can buy a 2 user or 3 user version for 1, 2, or 5 years. I bought a 3 user/2 year at the end of last year and I think I paid about £34. I have two desktops and a laptop so it suits well.
If you have any issues Kaspersky are very helpful and quick to respond - none of this FAQ rubbish!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts